SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tenisha_y_evans

Did I make a mistake on my fireplace tile??

New Home
4 years ago

I just recently took out the tile on my fireplace bc it was outdated. we got a contractor to send down all the mortar (which was a horrible mess) and installed backerboard for re-tiling. Our contractor suggested that we look at granite for the fireplace since we were getting new kitchen countertops. I somewhat dismissed the idea thinking that would be far too expensive. I asked my granite consultant today how much it would be to granite the fireplace surround and hearth and she said $500-$1000. We paid $400 for our tile installation and $200 in materials. Now I'm wishing we would've just got the granite! I'm hoping tiled fireplaces aren't outdated altogether bc when I look online I mostly see fireplace surround with one smooth piece not individual pieces. I've included a pic of our fireplace before (with the tan tiles and arch mantel) and the tile we just got installed. it hasnt been grouted yet so it's not done. my question is should I eat the $600 we've spent on tile installation and get the granite surround to match our kitchen countertops. if they have to sand against wont be worth it since it created way too much dust. but if they're able to granite over the tile we may consider it.

Comments (62)