SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

help me break up with my cabinet maker!

kateskouros
14 years ago

i interviewed MANY (5-7, can't remember) custom cabinet makers when we were starting our build last september. i finally decided on one for the quality of his work and he had a good estimate. my GC sent over his cabinet maker on monday to see what had to be done with my dh's office and other bookshelves, closets, etc... he asked about the kitchen and if he could submit a bid for that as well. i had all the drawings *I* worked up (cabinet maker did not submit these as i designed the kitchen with help from all here), he measured and invited me to see his work.

i dropped by on wednesday and he already had drawings worked up, exactly as i specified and even worked in other elements i really like. in addition, we went to the work room and the guys were turning out someone's cabinet order: beaded inset doors (like i want) WITH A SOFT/SELF CLOSE DRAWER. i didn't think it was possible with inset cabinets but i saw it right there.

and then came the price: 10K less than my cabinet guy. which means i can get my coffered ceiling. and of course the soft close. my guy says not possible.

while he did do some renderings, i paid him $500 to begin drawing. the design is not his. i would approach him and ask if he could beat the other bid, but i really would love to have those soft close drawers...

what to do? my gut tells me it's business, but i still feel bad. would you break up with him?

Comments (33)