SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

Please post pictures of your narrow island and work aisles

scrappy25
14 years ago

I am in sticker shock after getting one bid back for my kitchen expansion- over $300/sf for the addition, not including the cabinets and appliances! Hopefully the other bids will come in lower but this bid sent me back to the drawing board to fit my remodel into existing space. I only have a 10'2" wide kitchen/eating are so either it is a peninsula layout or a long kitchen with 24" deep island , 24" sink run, and 36" inch aisles. I prefer the long narrow island because it gives me much more counter and storage space, and we are generally a one cook family. I have left 48" in front of the fridge and the sink so the narrow aisle will only impact the range and the dishwasher beside it.

My passage aisle will be 40". I am even thinking of putting the island on wheels so it can be adjusted slightly, but that means I'd have to forgo the rock countertops.

I'd like to see pictures of kitchens with narrow islands and/or aisles, and comments from the owners as to functionality. I realize that the countertops will have to overhang the cabinets so I may shorten the cabinets to 23" depth- wasy to do with either Ikea or custom cabinets.

Comments (29)