SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brianmeek_gw

Complexities & choices of kitchen sink plumbing...

brianmeek
13 years ago

I struggled about which forum to post this to - Kitchens? Plumbing? Appliances?

Anyway, for our kitchen renovation in progress, IÂm looking for your opinions as I try to find the right combination of the following items:

- whole-house water filter

- drinking water filter (perhaps the whole-house filter is adequate, but I doubt it)

- point-of-use hot water heater (for the kitchen sink and dishwasher)

- instant hot water dispenser (for tea, etc)

IÂve pretty much decided to go with the Aquasana Rhino EQ-300 whole-house filter. ItÂs reasonably-priced, there are lots of positive reviews, and a neighbor on the same municipal H2O supply has one and is really pleased. The neighbor doesnÂt use any additional filter for drinking water, but weÂre currently spoiled with an under-sink reverse-osmosis system (which IÂll possibly continue using  see below).

Our household water heater is a distance from the kitchen sink, and the manual for the new KitchenAid dishwasher (KUDE70) that weÂve bought suggests running a nearby faucet until the water is hot before starting it (our previous dishwasher had the same requirement for good results). I always felt guilty doing this (several gallons wasted every time we want hot water at the sink/dishwasher), so IÂm looking at the Bosch/Ariston 4-gallon point-of-use electric mini-tank water heater to rig up at the kitchen sink (and dishwasher). This model gives me the option of using a cold water source, or hooking it up in-line with the existing hot water feed. IÂm leaning toward the latter choice  any opinions on this?

For the drinking water filter, IÂll probably use my existing hydrotech RO filter, but the unit takes a lot of space and I didnÂt realize until recently that it uses about 6 gallons of "rinse water" to generate each gallon of filtered water! Perhaps the little cartridge filters that plug into the freezerÂs ice maker or the instant-hot water dispensers are enough to augment the aforementioned whole-house filter? Aquasana (Sun Water Systems) states that the Rhino surpasses bottled water specs, but the sediments in my 20+ household plumbing probably merit an additional point-of-use drinking water filter.

Now, the most difficult choice for me is which instant-hot-water-dispenser for near-boiling water (primarily for tea)? I see mixed reviews on the InSinkErator units that push me toward KitchenAid, but I want to get a combined hot / cold fixture which KitchenAid doesnÂt appear to offer... The Franke unit may work feature-wise, but we donÂt much care for the fixture styling and I canÂt find many reviews on the unit... Can I mix & match hot/cold fixtures with a separate filtered input for cold water? Ideas? Product endorsements?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!