SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcolo_gw

So, Marcolo finally visits an architect....

marcolo
11 years ago

You may remember my 100-post thread which proved it is not actually possible to remodel my kitchen using only three dimensions.

Foolishly following the advice of johnliu, I went to an architect. The task at hand is to come up with a bid package detailed enough to tell me what ballpark I'm going to come in at (I already have a pretty good idea) without paying an architect to go all the way and spec insulation material.

So right now, we're at conceptual drawings called "schemes." I think we're up to scheme 11. Or else that's where we stopped counting. All the schemes have really good ideas, but my kitchen is located in another space-time continuum where a disembodied voice responds to every idea saying, "You can't, because...."

Anyway, I'm offering up a couple of the schemes for your perusal, amusement or consternation, take your pick.

I'm not worried about the DW being in the wrong place. I know where it goes. I'm just trying to choose the direction to move in.

So, the requirements include:

- A vintage-y look. The architect pointed out that huge banks of cabs do not help in this regard. But, they are functional.

- No moving any walls except the back exterior wall (other than bringing the side wall out to meet it), and not changing any openings into other rooms

- There's a weird walkout from the basement that actually comes up through the kitchen under my current cooktop. You can see pics on the other thread. Basically that either has to be a dead cabinet (it can have a top drawer), or I have to spend tons of money to move the walkout.

The first pic is the current layout.

The second is the most modern and open. It incorporates a mudroom with a cool arched tiny opening that lets you see the light from the back doorway window but allows you to put either a bench or cabinet below it. Mostly we need this function for recycling.

The third is the coolest looking so far. Two big '20s style arches intersect, and the cooking area is nicely removed and defensible. Problem is the walkout would have to move to put a sink there, plus dish storage and dishwasher and fridge all kind of crowd the sink.

Again, these are just directions, and I'm just trying to figure out which one to pick.

Original layout

{{!gwi}}

This is Scheme 8.

{{!gwi}}

This is Scheme 10.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (147)