SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ddr000

Final inspection

ddr000
11 years ago

We're building a custom home, on a lot we own. Our house is almost done, we're just waiting for the CO at this point. I would like to have a final inspection done to generate a punch list to be completed prior to final payment to the contractor.

Our home was built from a plan that the architect has previously done, with minor modifications -- this was on purpose -- we loved a house we saw nearby, and wanted the exact same floor plan. We've used our architect for site visits during constructions, particularly foundation, framing and roughing stages.

I was wondering if it makes sense to have the architect do the final walk through with me, or hire someone like a building inspector. I'm pretty familiar with many phases of construction, but certainly not an expert. In the last site visit, the architect pretty much just went over my punch list and didn't have much useful to say, contrary to their visits earlier in the process (which makes sense I guess).

Do you think it would make sense to hire a ASHI certified home inspector for the final, or stick with the architect?

Thanks!

Comments (3)