SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dredpir8

My latest, greatest and 'final' design- Final thoughts?

dredpir8
14 years ago

Hey all,

Thanks for all the help getting me to this point. We're meeting with the cabinet guy this week so any last minute suggestions would be great.

The current layout includes:

27" deep counters throughout (we were going to go for 30" but my DW is kinda short and was worried about reaching things)

14" deep uppers

Standard counter height

The bar is 6' long and 18" to 20" or so deep (we'll have to figure that out with the curve)

Along the wall with the range and the frig

18" doors

36" drawers (will this look ok, do you think?)

Not sure what to do with the corners... I expect we'll need to tweak some to do what we need there.

Beside the under counter oven we'd like to use whatever space we have there for vertical storage of cookie sheets and cutting boards.

On the "island" (not really and island since it's attached to a fixed wall that we can't take out)

24" drawers to the left of the sink

the sink I have in now is a 45" Kohler Stages I think this will work in this configuration since to the right of sink, between it and the DW, will be the trash pullout. The shallow end of the sinks is only 1 3/4 deep so it shouldn't interfere with the pullout.

There is one upper on this wall that is 3' wide. We've talked about having some shelves on either side... Although we will need somewhere to put the phone...

I don't have details of the nook, yet. I'm thinking each bench would be about 5' long. The back would have a slight backward angle (for comfort). The seat height will be based on what cushions we choose but I'm thinking about 18". My DW was thinking she would like for it to be white. Ideally it would have a long pull out drawer under the seat (found that idea here in GW!) by the door and the other seat could flip up for storage.

Hope these make sense:

It's hard to tell from this image but there is another room behind the bar stools.

There is a little over 3 ft between the corner of the 'island' and the counters by the wall. Slightly less than that between the corner of the bar and the nook table.

Comments (46)

• granite-girl
    14 years ago

Looks good, but I haven't seen any other plans, this looks good. My only worry would be the aisleway between "peninsula" and stove wall... & to nook.

Good Luck

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Can you post the layout? Much easier to see spacing and relationships than with only the 3Ds.--I know we saw your space before...Do the discussions still exist that you could link, or are they part of the threads that were lost?

• Related Discussions

Finalizing Plan with Architect - Thoughts?

Q

Comments (5)
    The drawings are too small to understand well but it appears that the dormers are unusually narrow, the pediments are unusually large and the oxeye windows are placed unusually high. IMO the garage structure needs to be better integrated into the overall design. For instance a traditional colonial house should not have masonry under the window sills since that is only made possible by modern cavity wall construction techniques. If that is a chimney, it needs to be considerably taller to meet the building code requirement of the top being 2 ft higher than anything within 10 ft. horizontally.
    ...See More

The final blooms and some thoughts

Q

Comments (48)
    Patty, I'm sorry the snow put an end to your gardening season. Snow is wonderful at covering and disguising in beauty all the stuff that needs to be cleaned up, though, not to mention a good insulator. I have a lot of frozen plants, but no snow. But, hey, the snapdragons and alyssum are still sitting there blooming. Actually, they are frozen in place. I've got some rose suggestions for you to think on--these roses are the toughest of the tough in my garden: Morden Sunrise, Royal Bonica, Ascot, Munstead Wood (yes, unbelievably), Princess Al of K ( another unbelievable), and Colette, a climber. Good luck navigating this winter and may your roses come through with flying buds. My wishes for everyone here, too. Diane
    ...See More

Final layout thoughts

Q

Comments (179)
    I've rearranged ALOT of my layout and am very excited! Thank you all for the feedback!! I know everything is not ideal but it enabled us to get a wall oven, cooktop-sink side, pantry and a little phone nook...without too many concessions. I know many of you won't like the crowding by the cooktop but it gives me my uppers and I really want those on the DW side. My question: I have a pic to share and wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the corner. I cannot move the cooktop...I think you all know how hard this was and we have worked very hard at fitting in some things and this is where the cooktop must land to be sink side. What I'm wondering is if anyone has any ideas for that blind corner. Better with a blind cabinet, left empty, or another thought???
    ...See More

Final floor plan final design review!

Q

Comments (33)
    Thanks for the all the feedback. A few comments: 1. The island will need to shrink. We like this example: 2. We originally had a door to the pantry that we decided to remove because we were concerned about losing shelf space (there’s already 1 door from the kitchen). 3. We wanted the flex room to face the pool and not the street for better view and privacy. 4. Flex room bathroom and closet will get switched and that entire area will need to be revamped. 5. The mud room entrance comments were interesting. Where else would you position the door? 6. My wife and I need our own closets for a happy marriage... :-) 7. Yes, mixing between traditional exterior and a modern interior is hard... 8. I’ll need to double check the natural lighting in the kitchen. All the windows in that areas face east but with the porch roof it may not be enough.
    ...See More
  • remodelfla
    14 years ago

I don't recall the threads with your other layouts or concerns so please forgive if I'm being redundant. I'm somewhat bothered by the bottleneck created by the end of the peninsula, nook, and cab run. Where does the doorway next to the frig go? As I see it, main access to the frig would be through the narrow opening and past the cook? As others stated, if you could post a layout, it'll be easier to see.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

how tall is your dw? at 5' i wouldn't be able to reach the corner counter area if more than 24" counter depth. I don't think i can reach the corner even with a 24" counter depth...

special reason for base cabs with doors? (other than under sink) drawers are so much easier.

• dredpir8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your feedback...

We're going with a local cabinet guy so we have a lot of flexibility around the design, thus the 27" depth...

desertsteph- my DW is about 5'1". I really want the deeper counters so the 27" is a compromise. I do most of the cooking anyway... =)

Here's the layout from before... There have been a couple tweaks since this one but you get the idea. The big entrance by the fridge is really the main entrance to the kitchen. There's also a large entrance to the nook from the sunroom.

One of the issues that people had before was the wall that the "island" is attached to. It can't be changed for a number of reasons.

I could cut the drawers to the left of the sink down to 20" instead of 24". That might open things up somewhat.

We went with doors and drawers primarily for aesthetics. Looking for some balance. One friend thought that all drawers might have a lab look. I tend to agree. I looked all through the FKB but couldn't find a good picture to contradict that thought.

Here's the layout:

• John Liu
    14 years ago

I have one big comment and a bunch of smaller ones.

The big comment is, will you want more natural light, or simply more variety, in the kitchen? You have lots of identical upper cabinets paneling the range wall. A few of them could be replaced by a window - if that's an exterior wall - or by open shelves or even bare wall.

The smaller comments are:
    - Where will you and/or your wife, whoever is/are the cook, do the food prep? If by the sink, is there enough counter space and nearby storage for all the things you use in prep (knives, bowls, graters, spices, cutting boards, sauces, food processor, colander, spinner, strainer, etc etc)? Will you be bumping your head into the uppers as you lean over the prep work? Are dirty dishes and their washing going to compete for counter space with clean food and their prepping? Will it be an inconveniently long walk from refrigerator to that prep location?
    - If you plan to prep elsewhere - you do have a lot of counter, which is great - then same questions, also will you want to have water and trash close at hand?
    - As already noted, in some places you have shelves/doors in the lower cabinets, rather than drawers. Do you prefer shelves to drawers? The cabinet by the refrigerator appears to be over 30'' deep if they are deeper that the refrigerator as show. Will that also be shelves? I find that the nether reaches of low shelves are hard to use - stuff gets lost back there, you have to get down on your knees to unearth it, in daily life only the front 6'' or so of a lower shelf is easily usable - for me.
    - Where is the microwave? Will appliances like coffee maker, toaster oven, blender, food processor, stand mixer live on the counters or have you allocated storage space to them?
    - The wall oven by the refrigerator isn't under/near the vent hood, so it won't be very good for broiling or other smoky use. Maybe doesn't matter, as you have the range oven as well.

• dredpir8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

johnliu- you hit on one of my primary concerns. That big wall of uppers. I'm thinking of opening it up by the range. Put around 9" of space on either side, with a shelf above. Just to give a break to the continuous wall of cabs and to accentuate further the range which is the centerpiece of the kitchen-- where the magic happens. =)

The cabinet by the fridge will be mostly slide out shelves so hopefully their usability will be ok. That cab is actually slightly shallower than the fridge. It just looks funny in the picture.

We'll want light, which is what we are missing now. There will be two skylights over the bar/nook end of the room. Under cab lights along the wall. (we're knocking out a wall and going nuts with this. I can post an as is picture if that would help)

I don't think I'll be hitting my head. We should have the same amount of space (an extra inch, really) with these new cabs than with old. These are 27 and 14, the old are 24 and 12...

Prep will happen mostly by the range and on a butcher block that I'm not showing in the design because no one likes where I'm going to put it. ;-) Some will happen by the sink of course, which could be a little inconvenient but I'm used to that.

Mixer, microwave and espresso machine will live on the counter...

Oh and nothing in the oven will intentionally smoke. I'll use the range for that.

Thanks for your great thoughts and time...

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

In the current design, the fridge doors, when open, will block the wall oven. Also the counter over the wall oven will be the landing space for items going into or coming out of the fridge, so it could be a busy spot. If you'll rarely use that wall oven that could be OK; if you think you'll use it often you might want to consider another spot.

The aisle between the island and the table is narrow. But in reality the table will likely be closer to the corner, yes? (Overlapping the benches by a few to several inches.) So that will give a bit more room for the aisle.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Two main issues that I see:
    No usable counterspace for prepping in the most logical places
    A much too narrow aisle b/w the table and peninsula/island

Prep Zone...As others have noted, b/c of the location of your sink, you will be forcing prepping to occur in a small place and in the way of the Cleanup Zone. Most of the counterspace you show in your kitchen is wasted b/c it will not be used much...no matter what you "plan" to do. If there's no water close by, prepping will rarely take place in a location.

For a Prep Zone, you should have:
    At least 36" of clear workspace (no sinks, DWs, MWs, range, ovens, etc. in that space),
    Nearby access to a usable water source with a big enough sink that you can work in it (i.e., not a pot filler or small bar sink
    Near the Cooking Zone, and
    Preferably, a trash and recycle pullout/bin nearby.

There's a simple "fix" for this issue in a kitchen with so much counterspace like you have: add a prep sink on the perimeter counter near the range. In this kitchen a prep sink is almost a "must" to make it truly functional.

I would actually rather see the oven to the right of the range and the sink to the left b/c the refrigerator is on the left and this way you keep the oven out of the ideal Prep Zone location (b/w Ref & Range). The prep sink could go in the corner or it could be to the right of the refrigerator just b/f the corner. Looking more closely at your plans, the corner is probably the ideal location...you will have prep space on each side of the sink, the sink will be near the range (for filling/dumping pots), and it makes good use of that corner space (lots of room under the sink for plumbing plus other storage).

If you can only have one trash/recycle pullout, locate it in the Prep Zone, not the Cleanup Zone (a big mistake I made!) b/c it's used much more often and for longer periods of time while prepping & cooking.

Aisle width...I think you realize this issue and the suggestion to reduce the cabinets by 3" or so will help. Keep in mind that when someone is sitting at a table, they need a minimum of 32" b/w the table edge and any obstacles behind the person. And that's if there's no traffic passing through there. (36" for traffic to edge past, 44" to walk past...and that's w/no appliances or work zones in the aisle).

Here is a link that might be useful: NKBA...8 - Traffic Clearance at Seating

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

My concern regarding the adjacency of the fridge to the oven doors is potential damage to the fridge door with the oven door. It was the upper oven, but a client of mine (I did not design the kitchen :) had a guest at her *housewarming party* open the fridge while the oven door was open causing $400 damage to the fridge.

You don't really need a french door in this layout, why not a left hinged single door?

Other than that, I still think the angled peninsula is too close to the eating area, physically and visually. It is going to be hovering over you at the table,imo.

• John Liu
    14 years ago

I think a prep sink would be a great addition!

It would add a lot of functionality to the kitchen, eliminate overlapping prepping and washing (detergent never tastes good in food), make for a shorter walk from the refrigerator, look great in an opened-up area of the wall where some of the uppers are removed, and give you a easy way to fill and drain pots of pasta without having to carry heavy full pots across the kitchen. You have lots of counterspace so a prep sink wouldn't take much away. Plus, I think a prep sink is usually considered a desirable feature in today's kitchens, if resale matters.

Does anyone have a link to the pictures of that gorgeous mostly-white kitchen with the prep/pot drain sink next to the range? It had a beautiful barrel-shaped hood. I forget who's it is, but she has a rare sense of style.

I'm not super alarmed by the oven next to the bottom-freezer refrigerator, because when the oven door is open, it will be much lower than the swinging upper/cooler door. The refrigerator door might hit an oven rack that is in the top-most (broiler) position and happens to be extended out, but you/re not going to broil in this oven. The bottom freezer pulls out so it won't hit the oven door. If it were a side-by-side or top-freezer right-hinge refrigerator, I agree it wouldn't work. If it were a left-hinge refrigerator, there wouldn't be any problem at all.

On the 30'' aisle between island and table, if you shrank the drawers to the left of the sink, and used a round table (or cut the corner off the square one) that should get you several more inches.

I can understand the aesthetic preference for a mix of doors w/ pull-out shelves, over all drawers.

• dredpir8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! These are great ideas. I'll look at adding a prep sink. Since this is a reno and we're working with some constraints, I may need to put the prep sink to the right of the range rather than the left as suggested. There's a line just right of the range where there's currently a wall. My GC said a prep sink in the addition side of the construction wouldn't be a problem. On the existing side would be more expensive.

I'm going to shrink down the drawers to the left of the sink to open the space up a little and maybe play with the angle of the 'island.' I've also thought about taking a chunk out of the table. The seating will really only be on the benches, no chairs so that should alleviate some of those concerns.

I'll go down and look at my fridge (all the appliances are in my tiny kitchen now, nothing new there). I'll check if I have an issue. I can pull out a drawer that will be right about where the oven handle would be and see if it hits. If so, then, hmmmm...

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Are you on a slab or do you have a basement? If you have a basement it's pretty easy and not that expensive to add or move lines. If you're on a slab, well, that's different.

• John Liu
    14 years ago

With the prep sink to the left of the range, you might be able to run the supply and drain lines next to the wall, behind the range, until they get to the addition part. The range would have to be pulled out a couple of inches. It would be pretty non-standard but maybe preferable to trenching a slab (assuming that's the issue). Need room for the gas and electrical connections on the range back.

I think prep sink left of the range would be much preferable. To the right of the range, the kitchen narrows and things will get very cramped - imagine someone prepping, someone washing, and a third person trying to squeeze through . . .

• rhome410
    14 years ago

White kitchen with prep sink next to the range is Erikanh's.

I think you will hate that narrow walkway between the sink counters and the banquette. Remember that counter overhang will make it even smaller. The overhangs will also decrease the 36" aisle between the sink area and back wall cabs. I think that's too narrow, too.

If the fridge hinges on the left, it seems the fridge/oven relationship will work just fine.

I would still straighten the sink run, have it center on the necessary wall section, hanging over the wall 2 ft on the left and about 4 ft on the right...and have the sink run and stove runs each 30" deep to decrease the aisle to 5'6". To do this, you'd probably have to move the UC oven to the back wall.

Oh, I saw when I was drawing this that you had 27" counters, not 24", so not as much reduction in the center aisle. But here is a sloppy drawing of what I meant.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• holligator
    14 years ago

I'm usually OK with giving up a little functionality for something that looks substantially better, but your angled peninsula poses problems in both function and looks. Using the DW would be awkward and, as others have mentioned, the aisle is uncomfortably narrow. The angle also just looks odd to me--kind of random and purposeless. I looked and looked and couldn't figure out what you were trying to accomplish by having the peninsula angled. My thoughts were almost exactly what rhome posted (as usual). Straightening the peninsula makes the whole kitchen roomier and easier to get from place to place. Rhome's design is SO much more friendly to the cook and to guests.

• dredpir8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, hmmmm.... The reason for the angle is funkiness, uniqueness... I'm all about a functional kitchen but also don't want a kitchen like you'd see in one of the new constructions I see these days. All perfect and boring. I want to build in some character.

So who's up for wild ideas? I'm open to anything cool. Johnliu hit on it with the bank of uppers on the range wall. Too much, too boring.

With an eye towards usability, throw me some funky ideas/pictures.

Oh and I really don't want to overlap that wall. I need to post a picture of the family room so you'll understand why not. it just wouldn't work.

I'll talk to my GC about the prep sink in the corner. I'm not on a slab so it's doable, just more money (but isn't everything).

Except for the range needing to be on the exterior wall (the one it's one) nothing else in the kitchen has to be where it currently is so go nuts!

Thank you all for so much help.

• formerlyflorantha
    14 years ago

Pardon my lateness and impertinence. I am having trouble thinking through the process of living and eating in this kitchen.

What is reason for the separate table right by the stool area? Family meals?

This kitchen is both too large and too small to have two dinky eating areas, and both side by side at that. I grew up eating at a small banquette kitchen table. Great if you're under age 12 but not for Sunday dinner with Grandma. That table by banquette is only 3 foot square! Add a couple chairs on the opposite side of the table and you're really cramped. Plan it out--plates, elbows, serving pieces. This is not for major meals for more than a couple people. Is there a real dining area in the attached spaces?

I assume the angled peninsula is oriented so that the person at the sink can look outdoors. Yes? But there is a difference in the views and the usage of the spaces that you have not told us about.

Do groceries arrive from a car in a garage? Through a door not connected with the deck/porch? Be sure there is plunk space for disbursing them. Where will you unpack the groceries and carry them to the refrig and the pantry?

You have a large pantry plus lots and lots of cupboards up and down. Have you thought through what these will hold? Don't redo your cupboard plan until you decide what kinds of storage you need.

If this is a kitchen oriented toward the outdoors and eating areas out there, where will you plunk items heading outdoors and returning? Will you conveniently store trays, tablecloths, salt and pepper, etc for the deck?

At first I thought this kitchen was great--such an interesting set of rooms clustered around the kitchen. Now, I'm befuddled. Not sure where the focus is--is the action oriented toward going outdoors? If so, which is more likely, the deck or the porch? Or would people primarily head to the sunroom? Will the living room be mostly a place to pass through and not linger? If so, put a decent dining table in there and redefine the sunroom. That puts the refrigerator closer to the eaters.

____

Before you talk to your cabinet man, lay out some fresh copies of the plan and draw walking patterns on them. One for morning at the start of the day. One for meal prep, one for meal serving. One for parties and holidays. Then do the same for the food and the garbage and the dishes. How well are you using the kitchen space and how well oriented is it to the rest of your house?

• John Liu
    14 years ago

You might be able to get the visual interest you want, without the angled counter, by using a non-rectangular shape and an interesting material for the raised eating counter. E.g. a quarter-round glass counter. The (lousy) pic below is just to get the ball rolling, there are lots more interesting designs possible.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Check out the kitchen linked below....is this the sort of thing you're looking for? If so, she did it in her materials, not by making a dysfunctional layout. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's how your kitchen is coming across right now. However, I think it only needs a little tweaking and it will be a very functional kitchen.

I think the key to making your kitchen unique since you are limited by that wall you cannot remove, is to use different materials than you see everywhere else in your neighborhood...just like Loves2Cook4Six did.

Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB: Loves2Cook4Six's Kitchen

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I love and embrace unique and funky...but in appearance, not function and being able to move around. I could really deal with a little inconvenience to get a specific look, but I'm not sure you're there yet? --to something you love so much that it's worth a bit of sacrifice? But you have such a roomy space, pinch points like shown would be past a doable compromise. I agree with others that a few fun shapes or cool materials can help you out. I like Johnliu's drawing.

As far as the back wall being 'boring.' Do we know yet what style or wood you're using, or overall look you're going for? I figured these for bare bones drawings without the detailing to create the vision you really want, so maybe it's just the drawings giving an effect you won't have?

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I also agree that the cabs all look boring...all of them, to be honest, not just uppers. But, like RHome, I assumed the pics were for functionality, not cabinet choice.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Personally, I think you have a winning layout using rhome's plan with johnliu's bar counter.

I echo what others have said already - go for function first, then switch it up to funky with your material choices. I saw a kitchen this weekend that had ribbon mahogany cabinets with the grain pattern running horizontally, not vertically. They were gorgeous! It's a good bet that ribbon mahogany is expensive wood but if your cabinetmaker is game, you could capture that kitchen's unique look with a more common wood. Even your basic oak would take on a new look with its bold grain running sideways.

This same kitchen also had a unique twist to the upper corner cabinet. It was open but instead of running the cabinet on a diagonal with shelves from one side of the cabinet to the other, it was elbow shaped (L with equal sides) with two thick shelves (looked to be 2" thick) on the left hand side and one thick shelf between the two on the right hand side. The shelves ran left side, right side, left side. I hope this makes sense and sorry I can't post a picture - we weren't allowed to take photos. They had pottery on the shelves but you could use it to store cookbooks or whatever you wish to display.

Here's another idea to add the unexpected. Cut peekaboo holes between the studs in the wall to create display niches. Then paint the inside of them a different color than the wall for fun ala the tip shared by Kelly Morisseau of Kitchen Sync (see link).

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Sync: A Shot of Color

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I would still move the oven to the right side of the range and add a prep sink to the left of the range. It will increase the functionality and usability of that side of the kitchen immensely! With a 6' aisle, the DW & Oven opening across from each other would not be a problem (plus the oven door will only be open for seconds at a time, not minutes).

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

One other comment. You don't say how many people you hope to seat at the banquette but it's really sized for no more than 2, maybe 3 if someone sits on a chair (although it looks like they'll be too close to the doorway). Yes, it's a 5' ben ch but you have to go by the width of the ta ble, not the ben ch since no one will want to sit in the ben ch corner - tight leg room and a long reach to a plate of food on the ta ble. At 3'3", that's not enough for more than one person unless you get *really* cozy (NKBA recommends 48" width for 2 people).

If you angle that corner (see the link below) and get a round table instead of a square one, you should be able to seat 3, possibly 4 people. Extend the ben ch towards the cab inets and angle that corner too and you can make room for more people to sit in the same space you have now. You might not need that much room on a daily basis but it will come in handy when friends and family visit.

Add personal flair with fun fabric cu shions for the banquette ben ches.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Kitchen Designer: banquettes

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

Small bit of tech - you won't be able to use the wet surface in the Kohler stages sink in the way it's intended. The angled cabinet will push you back, so you can't get close enough to scrub, cut or gut fish or shrimp.

If you flop the sink the other way, maybe. I don't think even I would like a prep area over 6 feet away from the range.

• dredpir8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your help.
    T

• dredpir8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi All,

FWIW, I wanted to speak to what seem to be some of the more glaring design mistakes on my part and explain the intention.

The angle in the bar is intended to focus those sitting at it into the kitchen. If it is straight they will be looking straight ahead and have to crane their necks to see someone at the range. I have made the angle shallower to address the spacing issue with the table. Which I have made 4x4 (great piece of info there, btw).

Of course the cabinet colors and whatnot are just placeholders within SketchUp. What I meant by boring was the solid wall of uppers extending the whole length of the lower run. I have addressed this by shortening the upper runs and centering them on the lower runs. Opening things up a bit. Johnliu, can't really put a window on that wall for a couple reasons but you were right about needing to open it up a little.

I have added a prep sink in the corner. Now to a) convince my wife, and 2) find out how much it will cost.

I believe there is a balance between style and functionality and that that can be achieved with both material choices and layout.

Thank you all for your help.

• User
    14 years ago

Yes, but when a layout is completely dysfunctional, no amount of style will help those in the kitchen actually work in that kitchen. It'll be a nightmare, unless all you do is open freezer cartons to microwave, and even then that'll be a nightmare because there isn't good space available for even that simple task.

Your kitchen has the functional need for a spot for socializing, but the angled bar and the banquette don't serve either function well, and they aren't that great looking either. It's time to throw everything out and start over from scratch without even thinking about style. Once you have a functional location for the parts of the kitchen, then you can add the extra's for style.

The angle doesn't work. Period. Stop. Proceed no further down that path. It's floofery for the sake of floofery. Just like gold plated knobs and pull would be, but without the functionality of the gold plated knobs. It's those silly "spinning rims" that you see on so many of the kids modified "unique" cars. A car needs rims for the tires, but no one actually "needs" those spinners. And, they actually distract from the fact that the rest of the car is just a 1980's barely working piece of crap from the junkyard with 10K worth of rims on it. No amount of money thrown at a non functional aspect of kitchen ever makes it into a functional one. Yes, it can be a "unique" kitchen, but that's damning with very faint praise. Especially if you are the one who has to hike back and forth in it and squeeze through that bottleneck.

The biggest problem is that you're not getting anything at all from expanding your kitchen. If the dimensions of the original kitchen are where the immovable wall is located, then you're just wasting money by extending what already exists rather than completely rethinking how things could work. If you're doing an addition, then that's where you should look at putting the kitchen. It won't cost that much more to make the addition actually functional. And, the "immovable" wall may actually be quite movable with the proper support.

You're not thinking outside the box enough for "style", and you're thinking only on the edges of the box for "function". If function doesn't work, then no amount of style will make up for it. Any kitchen is full of compromises, but it's a very bad plan to include so many non functional compromises when you're still at the planning stages and can fix things on paper.

• User
    14 years ago

There are plenty of ways to succesfully support a 24' span, so I wouldn't be so quick to say that the wall "can't" come down. All you need is a structural engineer to design the support. That would greatly change the aesthetic possibilties available and open up the space a lot more.

And, I have to say, just angling the counter for a bar isn't "funkiness or uniqueness" at all. That's a common look, and not at all unique in design. The only way I can see it actually working in your space is if you also bumped out and angled the nook addition to follow that angle. Otherwise, it's not only non functional, but it bears no actual aesthetic relationship to the rest of the kitchen or surrounding rooms either. It's like you put in a fake flat screen TV just so a room could have a "focal point". What's the point, unless it works too?

Don't get caught up in one upping the Joneses on your block just so people will admire your creativity. It'll bite big time in the end when it comes to living in the space, and especially for resale down the line. If you want some creative input, it's time to actually hire a designer to help with your project. YOu've gone as far as you can by yourself.

• dredpir8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow.... Sorry for upsetting you all so much.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Some people state things straight out without a sugar-coating, but somethings can be taken wrong because of an assumed tone in reading...But the bottom line is none of us spend time here to get upset or upset you...just to genuinely help. When we feel there is a big mistake someone will be really upset with in the end, we'll tell you with as much collective wisdom as we can use to keep you from saying, "Why didn't someone tell us?" We've all had 2nd-guessing or regrets and don't want you or your wife to be sad about your kitchen. Truly, best wishes.

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

hey dredpir8:

I totally get your desire for unique and funky. Two of my son's friends (grade school, sports-focused boys) will always be loved by me because one noticed and complimented my funky light and another said he "loves washing his hands" at the vessel sink in my powder room. Cool!

I think your "you" in the kitchen can best be brought out through great materials that make your heart sing, like a granite that makes your island a knockout. (Someone posted a pic of Blue Louisa - it looks like a Van Gogh painting. Stunning.) Get lights that dazzle and a backsplash that says "wow".

With the straight island designs of rhome and johnliu, folks sitting at the counter can easily see each other and someone working at the range. (It's not really a craning of the neck, more like a slight head turn.) The straight design could also make it easier for you to find a single granite slab that fits the shape so you can avoid a seam.

If you check the finished kitchens and finished backsplashes blog, you'll see that kitchens with very "standard" layouts (U shape, L shape, straight island, etc.) are really stunning because of the materials used.

I can't wait to see some of the great materials and fixtures you pick out to make your kitchen unique. There are so many choices and I think we'll all enjoy seeing what you choose, so please keep us posted with pictures!

• formerlyflorantha
    14 years ago

My first reaction when you posted was "this was designed by a man." I know of a kitchen with a terrible layout and the wife will never forgive the husband his stupid kitchen. He tells me: "Don't let her see your plans, Florantha. She wants me to do what you are doing."

Check your motives here--why are you doing this? You have said that you want the kitchen to have character. Define character. Strength, wisdom, purpose? or Oddball?

Has your spouse seen the thread response to the plans or are you planning a surprise?

Remember...you ASKED for input. You got input. Not recommendations for pricey stuff or over-the-top nuttiness or trends as is sometimes offered here. You got advice about workability, long-term comfort, "better" instead of "good" or "okay." Trust me, this will be a unique kitchen, not like the neighbors'. But unique does not have to be a synonym for "mistake."

I apologize if I have offended you.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

You're welcome for the ta ble size tip, dredpir8, but I'm not sure that increasing it to 4x4 will give you room to seat 4 people. The two people sitting in the inner corner will share the same leg space and plate room. I just read this great article on-line about banquette size and spacing but danged if I can find it again. Maybe drawing people in the space will help you visualize. Or better yet, set up a mock banquette to check size and ease of use.

One other thought: if you're planning to use a ta ble with 4 legs instead of a pedestal, you need to allow room for that so that no one's legs are crushed up against the ta ble leg.

I wish I could find that article again. It had such great information and I can only remember a fraction of it.

• mom2lilenj
    14 years ago

I'm rather late in the game here, but I have a couple ideas you might like in reference to entertaining. If you aren't too attached to the banquette or table (I love kitchen tables/banquettes by the way) you could eliminate it and move the sink/dw peninsula over to the stove wall.

Put a shallow pantry along the required wall if you think you need more storage, and make the door larger to the porch/deck, french or slider. This would make it easier to grill outside (if you do that) and for others to get to the fridge without interfering with the chef.

With the sink over by the stove you then can prep and cook while more easily conversing with your guests. Also while at the stove you wouldn't have your back to your guests, they would be to your side.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Still can't find that article but I did find inspiration photos for you. Several of them show banquettes with angled corners and round or oval tables that I think would work well in your space.

I have to echo what rhome said. We're not trying to be harsh but we do see errors in your plan that we think you'll regret and, as someone already pointed out, you did ask for feedback. Even the best plans can benefit from feedback and tweaks so please don't take the advice personally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen & Bath Ideas: banquettes

• dredpir8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the continued feedback. To those of you who have posted since my last post, I have appreciated everything you have said and haven't taken it personally. I'll be incorporating many of your ideas and wisdom.

I have asked for input and THAT I appreciate.

T

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

It's driving me crazy (short trip) that I can't find that article but I did find something on banquette spacing (see diagram 5.3 in the link). It's aimed at public spaces not home use but it does provide dimensions that might help you.

I really should be working. Can you say procrastination? LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: human dimension and interior space: banquette spacing

• mom2lilenj
    14 years ago

Here is sort of what I was thinking. Not sure if your even interested in eliminating the nook, but in case you are...
    (sorry I'm so bad at MS paint)

This gives you the angles for the uniqueness/quirkyness, but gives more space for stools and gets your guests closer to the action. You could keep an open space below the hutch to tuck your butcher block away when not in use.

• User
    14 years ago

Now, that is functional and interesting!

• dredpir8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! Mom2lilenj! That's AWESOME! This is exactly the kind of creative thinking I was hoping for!

Thank you!

• dredpir8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lisa- Thanks for all the banquette info. Really helpful.

• mom2lilenj
    14 years ago

Just curious....have you decided on a layout yet?

• dredpir8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi mom2lilenj, yeah I think we have. I talked it over with my wife and she really wants the banquette. I sat down with a neighbor who's an architect and he really liked the design we originally had with some tweaks (flattened the angle to allow more space for a larger table etc, prep sink in the corner). He had a couple really great suggestions, too. I've got to talk to the GC about the cost but he suggested we put in windows in place of the backsplash on either side of the range. It's an amazing look.
    Thanks for your interest.

• mom2lilenj
    14 years ago

Thanks for the update and satisfying my curiosity. Glad you found a layout you all like. I don't blame your wife for wanting to keep the banquette. I have a kitchen table and wouldn't want to give it up for anything, but I know not everyone feels that way.