SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlahav_gw

Remodel of my teeny kitchen - seeking input!

Jlahav
12 years ago

Hi all,

I've been reading a lot about counters, islands, etc. on this forum, and decided to join. My husband and I just bought our first home. We live in Brooklyn, NY, and the homes here are pretty small. Our house is semi-attached, and needs a completely new kitchen. I'm going to post my rough sketch of the kitchen's dimensions. I've literally been through about 10 designs so far, and I still can't figure out how to best layout this kitchen.

NOTE: The bathroom adjacent to the kitchen currently has no sink (and no room for a sink), so we are going to move that wall out 12" to add a small corner sink. That means the kitchen wall shared by the bathroom will be 108" long, and the entry way (hallway) into the kitchen will be 36" wide.

Also note: As I was raised in Brooklyn in a large family, I'm very used to tight spaces! I just want to optimize what I have.

Here are my wishes:

- 2 sinks are a must (kosher kitchen), and one dishwasher that will ideally be next to both sinks.

-enough wall and base cabinetry for glassware; small appliances (including a kitchen aid mixer); two sets of (one for dairy and one for meat) dishes, utensils, pots, silverware, cookware.

-ideally two ovens: either a double wall oven and a 30" cooktop, or a single wall oven and a 30" range; no oven can be less than 30" wide (I cook A LOT); I would SETTLE for just a 36" range (and no second oven), but that would be settling.

-eating space for at least 4 people (ideally five). We currently have 3 small kids, and are planning on probably two more. I'd like the eating area to be kid-accessible, so I'm not very fond of barstools, or even counter-height barstools.

-a 36"W counter-depth fridge.

-a decent sized pantry cabinet (24x24 is great, but I can make do with a slightly smaller one, I hope!)

-I'd be willing, if completely necessary, to shorten or eliminate the window to the driveway, and to shorten or move (but not eliminate) the window to the backyard.

Are you up for the challenge? Any and all input is welcome and appreciated!! I'll scan and post a couple of my own designs tomorrow.

Also, are there any good online tools or programs that I could use to make plans? I've been using graph paper :)

Thanks!!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IfQ8YdgWWOxt7juWwjN_y8IM0rtp2p5H6DlVMIBXagM?feat=directlink

From Kitchen Plans

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Plans

Comments (30)