SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hamsundm

Rookie recovering dining chairs -- Should this be easy?!

hamsundm
14 years ago

I'm in the process of recoving my new (CL) dining chairs.

Owners had cats (DS is allergic) and I think someone that owned these smoked as well. The smell is not overwhelming, but it is there. I removed the fabric shown and underneath is a vinyl type of fabric (there are a few more layers under that before you get to the padding).

I am thinking I need to replace it all, unfortunately. Unless there's some magic trick I am missing? Could I somehow seal it somehow and put new fabric on? I was hoping to just do the cover - I can handle that!

SO, assuming I need to replace it all - Is all batting (is the padding called batting?) created equal? Should I get foam - or something else? I did dig down to the current padding and it looks to be kind of fluffy-cotton-ball'ish (definitely not foam). The padding IS currently substantial enough to be comfortable. It just stinks. :(

THEN, once the new padding is placed, do I put something over it so that any spills do not soak into the padding? I have kids and one is allergic to mold... so whatever I can do to keep these clean-able would be great.

I also do not yet have the new fabric. Should I go with upholstery - or sunbrella - or vinyl of some sort?

Basically, any insight would be helpful. As I'm sure you can tell... I'm clueless and feeling a bit in over my head! I promise to post pics once I'm all done.

Thank you!!

Comments (9)