SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wow8kids

Refinishing dining room table - sort of - help the rookie!

wow8kids
9 years ago

Greetings! I am new here, and don't know how active this list is - I hope I get some quick responses.

I have a table we purchased at a furniture store (HOM). When we got it, we could tell the finish was not going to hold up to our growing family. My husband put on an extra coat of poly, and it looked great. We left it for 2 days and started using it. I was SUPER disappointed when it started scratching and chipping. But that all stopped after about a week. We realize now that it was dry, but hadn't cured. Now, several years later, I want to fix that. It gets used hard as we have 8 children, homeschool and we do a lot of entertaining...so not kidding when I say it gets used hard.

I have not done anything quite like this before and I'm getting some fairly conflicting information from the all knowing Web. So, here's my questions:

1) Can I do this without taking the top down to bare wood? (I do not want to compromise the top matching the rest of the table and chairs).
2) One place said I could sand the top lightly, then put poly on it, and the cracks, chips will fill in because "all poly is self-leveling". True? This sounds too easy.
3) Do I apply the poly with a brush or a rag? I have read a brush, but then I read all sorts of things about brush marks - which, of course, I don't want.
4) My neighbor absolutely swears it must be something made by General's Top Coat and I must put on 6-7 coats with a rag. If this is the only way to make it turn out - I will, but 6-7 coats sounds excessive to me...
5) Should I sand smooth the chips/nicks like I would if I were filling holes while painting?

Thank you for your help! Sorry for jumping in when I'm such the rookie, but I am just feeling SO lost here!

Comments (3)