SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidocd

What weekend project are you planning?

OrchidOCD
12 years ago

As I looked at my home to-do list (and noticed it seems to be growing, not shrinking!) I wondered if I'm the only one who seems to fill the next several month of weekends with projects. Surely not!

So, what's on your weekend to-do list? I'll be semi-demolitioning my upstairs hall bath, because my new floor tile just came in and that was the last major materials item for that planned remod/redecorate. What project will you be starting or continuing?

Comments (42)

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

We were planning to get a new roof on our shed this last weekend, but it turned out to be more complicated than we'd thought. So it will carry over to next weekend. But We did get the old roof torn off and hauled to the landfill with assorted other flotsam and jetsam. I got the workshop cleaned out while DH did some carpentry work on the shed rafters. Then we got the roof decking on before it started raining this afternoon. The metal roof will have to wait until next Saturday.

It will be more yard work next weekend, I'm afraid. I need to tag trees and limbs so I can get the tree guys out. One last good mowing (I think) for the season.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Chandelier (not the $10 one) hung in the office and then start on the DR. Maybe hit the mudroom too.

• Related Discussions

This weekend's project aka What a mess I have to clean up!

Q

Comments (18)
    Beth.......... You have my greatest sympathies. Gardening on multiple levels has felt totally impossible from the beginning. When I am working on one level, the weeds are thriving on the other levels. Argggggggh. Hauling mulch up from the street level to the gardening levels is hard labor, too. I thought it was my time management that was the problem. The problem is that it is incredibly difficult for one person to manage all of that work. Then add the heat we both experience and it just gets overwhelming. I did check with the lady who runs our local garden center and she did say that Preen will not harm the roses. I may not like using chemicals to control weeds, but I have had to give up and use some. You have so many beautiful roses, I know this must be very distressing for you. All you can do is keep at it one day at a time. Smiles, Lyn
    ...See More

Week-end project - two week-ends

Q

Comments (14)
    I posted the photo on the gallery side: Gallery posting I tried putting just the photo here, but it wouldn't let me. Thanks for that link, Ellen. Now I know what part of the design means (I think). I'll have to do more research on that. I had given my sister some mudcloth that I had bought at an African festival a few years back for her birthday, and she uses it as a throw for one of her sofas. I guess that's easier than trying to make something out of it. Linda, making a headboard is fairly easy, but then I do have quite a bit of experience with upholstery. It's important to glue the foam to the board with upholstery glue (which goes on like a web) so that it doesn't shift when you are attaching the fabric. Also, we bought an electric staple gun, which made the job a lot easier. I think it does require two people, however. Lars Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

Are you planning to quilt this weekend? April 19-21

Q

Comments (18)
    I did one side and two corners of my new brown binding a bit at a time and it looked great, so I went ahead and put the quilt in my Q-snap floor frame and carefully basted the rest into place with a quarter inch running stitch. I cut the binding even to join with a quarter inch seam. I back stitched a few feet of it securely into place and blind stitched it down. I noticed that my convex curves were now cupping a lot. I picked out and undid it all back to the 'looks great' stage, cut my joined binding, cut out the short end piece and replaced it with a longer piece to give me the length I'll need to avoid that cupping. I picked out all the little snipped threads, and vacuumed up all the evidence. I re-ironed the binding, tape rolled off all the dog hair, and re-rolled it neatly into a ziplock bag. Not only that, I stepped on a toothpick in the carpet and had to go get a TDap booster, so my foot and arm are sore. I colored my hair four times and had to go to the bank for money while it was still fairly orange. It frosted last night to 30 degrees when the weather service predicted low of 36 and killed the tomato plants I'd put out, which I didn't check on until 3AM because I was in a zombie daze while I was picking out all that hand work. I'll just mosey on back to my chair and put last week out of my mind (for any number of reasons.) This post was edited by petalpatsy on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 17:49
    ...See More

It's Labor Day weekend! What are your projects?

Q

Comments (59)
    Happy Birthday Greenthumb! Trailrunner, good thoughts for you being sent your way. Segbrown, hmmm, your home looks a little like mine. Okay, I have read (skimmed) through all of these and I am going back to bed!!! I am exhausted just reading about all of the plans!!! I started my weekend with some plein aire painting with a friend. Oh gosh, after this summer, it was pure heaven to sit outside. Saturday was lots of baseball, football on tv. Sunday afternoon, bought steaks and ribs to cook on grill - well, hubby will get to do that and no company so some will be tossed in freezer. Today, if I don't go back to bed, will put away some glassware (bowls,etc) that I have had sitting in my studio to paint. Uhm, not paint on the glassware, but to paint their image on canvas. Even talking of painting relaxes me so maybe I will go dry my hair and head to the studio! Best wishes to all.
    ...See More
  • nanny2a
    12 years ago

I'm reupholstering two of our living room chairs this week. I'm half way through the first chair, and already tired of pulling staples! We're going to Charleston for the weekend on Friday, so I know this project will carry on into next week, too!

• franksmom_2010
    12 years ago

painting and reupholstering a pair of chairs, installing the new livig room light, garden cleanup- pruning/pulling everything that was lost to the drought, and hanging a new dining room curtain rod so I can get started making the drapes. I'm already tired.

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

This weekend I have a 3 day weekend, so I might go to Ikea to get inspired. We just finished a project, tore out the crumbling brick hearth and woodstove and DH poured a new concrete hearth and installed a new pellet stove. That also inspired me to rearrange the family room, and put in the new furniture we got.

Next project is tackling our garage/DH's shop. I'm actually taking a week off work to get that job done. Not a decorating job, but necessary since that is where he runs his business.

• chispa
    12 years ago

I need to pick some paint colors ... which is by far the hardest part of the project!!! Just don't have a vision for it yet. Do I stay beige/gold or do I go with an unexpected bolder color.

I have an addition/construction project too, but the contractor is taking care of that. I will need to pick tiles and other stuff in the next few weeks.

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

Great question, OrchidOCD!

Mine is a weekday morning project and after I finish goofing around online I'll go work on it for a bit: I'm painting the frame around a mirror in a son's room. The large mirror was on desperate clearance at Lowe's ($7.99 -- yeah, I'll bite!) so I bought it and it's been sitting there for months (maybe over a year?); I've been waiting for it to tell me what to do to gussy it up. Going through my "covet" file I came across a clipping I've had since November 2000 from W magazine of a fabulous eglomise frame. Ta-da! So while clearly not eglomise it's nevertheless my inspiration, and I'm having fun. I like having fun.

I recently went paint-happy in the children's rooms, painting mattress ticking stripes in one and an homage to Hirst's Opium in the other. So I really do need to now hang pictures back in there ... but not feeling terribly inspired. I'm more interested in painting my toenails, to be perfectly frank.

It's getting close to but not yet quite time to cut back the plants, so that'll be a big project in a few weeks. Again, another weekday morning. I know those of you with small children understand the weekday morning appeal! But it is so insanely gorgeous outside that I'm taking longer and longer morning hikes meaning less and less time to get stuff done inside. Winter's coming so I'll have months available.

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

Well this doesn't sound too ambitious, but putting up a shelf in my laundry/entry room, and finding a towel hanger to install in there as well. Its very small and I have been working on condensing things in a small space. I even bought a collapsible laundry basket to give a neater look to the room since I can store it out of sight. And of course it had to be in a color that coordinated in case its out in the open, so had to go to 3 stores to find one the right color! Sometimes I drive myself crazy. Also, clean up work in the yard.

• itltrot
    12 years ago

I'm on project overload. I've got so many thing rattling around in my brain that I need to finish.

1. Figure out how to hang my $3 brassy chandelier that I painted red in the laundry room. I didn't take in account that the laundry room is several steps down from the kitchen and I have 2 doors at different heights and the light will hit on one door.

2. Finish the rest of my googly eye halloween frames from friends and me.

3. Make some more faux mercury glass votives.

4. Starting painting frames for my gallery wall.

5. Paint front porch ceiling SW Lauren's Surprise.

6. Paint faux area rug on front porch concrete.

7. Decorate for Halloween.

8. Hang old tin ceiling tile in entry as medallion and hang red chandelier there if it won't work with laundry room doors.

I think that is the majority of things I want to accomplish. I have a feeling I might only get one or two as DH mentioned he wants my help finishing the last 40' of privacy fence.

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Wow it's nice to know we're not the only ones with long to do lists. This weekend we'll, okay my hubby, will most likely be staining the wood I'll buy this week for the built in bookcases for our home library.
    I plan on painting the fabric and refinishing the legs on a pair of wing chairs for the same room and possibly building a cornice for a client.
    We've so much to do before our daughter's wedding next June.

• boysrus2
    12 years ago

Pulled down small metal mini blinds in mushroom color. Will replace 6 windows with 2" white faux wood blinds.

Re-paint dining room from BM Raspberry Truffle to BM Weinmaraner.

Re-hang master bedroom drapes higher up the wall so they no longer puddle.

Install new oil rubbed bronze interior door hinges to match new interior door knobs.

• roarah
    12 years ago

Well if this weather in the north east continues my plans may be cancelled...plan on closing the pool and then setting up a nusery for my neice whom I will be watching when her mom goes back to work. then I have lots of Madeline capes, hats and party stuff to make for my daughter's birthday party next month. I should start to decorate for holloween but the 80 degree weather seems to nice for fall decor.

• texanjana
    12 years ago

Yard work, it is finally cool enough to get back out there.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

heeheehee....I'm done.

Just need to swifter before any showings...

I love this feeling. D O N E

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I bought myself a jig saw today. So I'm going to saw a piece of plywood to fit an opening in a shed where I want a door. The guy who's suppose to make a door is slow getting the job done, and I want to at least help keep rain and wind out until he makes the time to build a proper door. On second thought, I ought to just build the door myself!

• OrchidOCD
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! lLots of cool projects, all! I can see we'll all keep the Ibuprofen mfgs profits up to soothe our sore muscles! Scary, though - I think my list just got a few more lines added to it after reading about your cool projects!

Beekeeper, I fear I'll never be DONE because I keep adding to the list, and Schoolhouse, you sound sooo much like me - I always end up just wishing I'd done it myself when I've hired out a job! Tex, RM and Jakabedy - yard work is what I'm avoiding by working on the bathroom! ;-) RM, I've also recently gone paint happy, and have yet to rehang most of tha artwork - just not high enough on the list to get priority. Nanny, Franksmom and Justgottabeme, I just finished reupholstering the 5 new dining chairs I got on craiglist and then the 'original' 5 I already had - my blistered hands (manual staple gun) can both sympathize and empathize! BoysRus and Itltrot, you're lists look as daunting as mine, and Katrina, I know just what you mean about driving yourself crazy finding just the right item for what you've pictured! Chispa, having spent several hours in the paint chips aisles recently I can sympathize with how hard it is to pick exactly the right color - I ended up repainting my master within a week because the first color I picked just looked wrong! Roarah, I well remember the days of preparing for DD's BD parties and Halloween - my DD just reminded me recently that this time of year I used to be dedicated to making her costumes, not painting, etc. Pesky - I can relate the garage cleanup, too - the reason I'm starting the bathroom this weekend is because I can no longer get into my garage-attached workroom because all of the bathroom materials I've collected over the past several months are stored there, and the latest deliveries have displaced our cars...gotta move forward or I'll be scraping off snow before work! Ttod, I hope soon to pick a new DR chandy - my current one is the last original light fixture in the house, and it's going to go once Ifind the perfect replacement - I've got the medallion ready to go up, now just need the chandy.

With all of us so busy, economic recovery seems like more than just a media soundbite. ;-) Happy efforts, all - making our spaces exactly what we want them to be is a truly worthy use of time, isn't it?! (Being in IT, a totally fake environment, I love a worthy use of time!)

• leafy02
    12 years ago

Wow, some of you all are a lot more ambitious than I am these days--inspiring to hear about everyone's projects.

If I am lucky, I'll finish painting the sections of the wall rebuilt in our kitchen remodel. I got the priming done last weekend but couldn't put on the paint.

If I'm not lucky, maybe even without the time to paint I can find the time to hit Michael's to get some mats cut for my recent Etsy art buys...

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Well, I'm only done because there is no way I'm doing any more projects except running the dyson and spritzing the windex for any future buyers.

Although they are whining about bigger closets, a fence, and another garage bay or two. I knocked out the fence, and added the additional garage last night when I got home from work. Hope they drive by again so they can see. ;o)

• itltrot
    12 years ago

But Bee...what about the closets? :-p

• tomuch2chus
    12 years ago

justgotabeme! Not to hijack, but PAINT the fabric on wing chairs? Do tell! (Please!)

• User
    12 years ago

Holy cow! You are all so ambituous! Can some of you please come to my house? I have a long list of things I want to do, but as usual, I will be driving from baseball game to baseball game. By the time this part of my life is over, I will be too old to do anything to my house! Waaahhhhh!

• biochem101
    12 years ago

"What weekend project are you planning?"

Why? Would you like to chuck them out the window and get together for lunch? :D j/k

I have to pick paint too. And wash windows. AGAIN.

Had the house power-washed last week and they totally messed up all the windows I had previously washed. :(

Saturday the 1/4" board is going up over the master bedroom wallpaper that won't come down. I got down every other room in the house...but not this one. So it's being covered over.

Followed by taping, spackling, sanding, painting.

And hopefully by a cool new bedroom!

Except DH won't let me replace the carpet yet.
    Trying not to think about that.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

itltrot....there are 24 hours in the day, and then there is the night.

Tonight, I will expand all the closets to be walk-in closets with an island in each one in every bedroom. Maybe 2 in the masterbedroom. Ooo, maybe I can get it done before the next showing at 5pm. That's 2 hours. I better run.

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

I'm hoping to put my gardens to bed for the Winter and ~ hopefully ~ talk DH into cleaning out our garage. It's been too hot to do it before and I definitely don't want to wait much longer and freeze out there!
    Lynn

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

OrchidOCD, I think you need to buy yourself at the very least an electric stapler. I used one for the cornices we recently finished for a client. We had to pound in most of the staples anyway so I went and bought one that does staples and brads that works with the air compressor. I've yet to try it, but it has to be easier than hammering them in after you use the tool that's suppose to do it.

The staining of the wood for the bookshelves may not happen since I lost the sheet of paper I wrote all the plans on! I so need a new brain. Menopause Brain is the PITS.

• User
    12 years ago

Remove painters tape from the stairs and finish touch ups. Uggggh, I don't wanna, I don't wanna, I don't wanna! Yeah, that's still not finished. I wanted to wait a full two months after painting again for them to cure. They're good now. :)

Glaze a chandelier and picture frame I started working on the other month but didn't finish.

Take care of the couple touch ups I missed in the bathroom and put paint cans away!

• dalmadarling
    12 years ago

Installing carriage house doors on the garage under reno (finally arrived after weeks of prep)

Texturing the walls in our new space

Then a little bit of organization to get rid of stuff we don't want to put back into our newly renovated garage (now an office / bar area)

• anotherlinda
    12 years ago

Golly! It's good to see so many folks in the midst of major and minor projects! We are getting a new-to-us house in order so we can move in soon. I've been working on the Novalis vinyl plank flooring throughout the house and my dear husband is working on the board and batten master bedroom. He'll join me in installing the flooring this weekend. We've got baseboards to install, window treatments to address, some major furniture pieces to obtain through CL or IKEA in the coming months, but this weekend we are concentrating on finishing up the floors and MB wall treatment. I'm having the time of my life....sure hope DH is enjoying this time too!

• kitchenkelly
    12 years ago

Painting the wainscotting in my home office. (After waiting a year, I have come to the conclusion that the room will not paint itself.)

• robin_DC
    12 years ago

I need to finish reupholstering my new (to me)dining chairs; I'm taking the seats down to the bare wood and putting in new foam, so this has taken longer than planned. Only 2 left to finish! I also want to add casters to the dining table to raise its height to work with my new chairs, and test gel stain on one of the dining table leaves to figure out whether I can use that to darken the table to my satisfaction or if I need to send the table out for professional refinishing.

Finally, I need to dig up summer annuals & weed my front flower beds and plant pansies. My to-do list is neverending.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

None! Oh yes, I have a project list a mile long but honestly, the weather is just too great! We are going to hopefully drive down the Foothills Parkway or the Cherohola (sp)Skyway and picnic along the way. We had thought to camp next weekend, but are starting a small kitchen reno project and the countertop shop is coming next Friday to measure, do a template, etc.

We'll also be taking my MIL and her "man friend" out to eat over the weekend - his birthday is Sunday. Plan to enjoy some time by the fire pit too.

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

I have several hundred bulbs that need to get in the ground. So after working at the Food Pantry in the morning, tomorrow will be dedicated to getting those in bulbs in the ground. Snow will be flying soon so need to "get 'er done". Sunday plan to go to the orchard and get some apples for pies.

• franksmom_2010
    12 years ago

Is anyone else giddy from that first coat of paint? My favorite part of any painting job is FINALLY seeing that first coat go on after all of the prep!

The new light fixture is hung, but we need to touch up the ceiling from the old installation and a few scrapes from today. We're very happy with the new light, though, and I can't wait until it gets dark outside so we can see how it really lights the room!

On to upholstery!

• leafy02
    12 years ago

Franskmom--me, me, me.

I got the first coat of paint on the dining room side of the new wall today. If you turn the lights off and back halfway across the room, it looks perfect :-)

I must be on a roll, because I also painted my front porch light fixtures (on the to-do list for two years!), touched up the paint on the chair out there, moved a lot of perennials who had outgrown their spots, and removed the hideous and filty plastic blinds above my kitchen sink.

I've been planning to make a valance or order a roller blind for there for oh, 2.5 years....I figured today that taking down the blind so I'll be tortured by the setting sun might move along valance production/ ordering a little bit....

• User
    12 years ago

Pruned and pruned and more pruning. Planted the first of many pansies. Repainted the front porch. It had been done 2 yrs ago and was looking rough. I had done the back porch and the little house porch a couple weeks ago. I have a lot more landscaping to do.

I am very excited about the new plants. Our extension/Master Gardeners groups have gotten together and had a meeting about native plants for our area. They gave us a 2 hr talk and also a lot of handouts. We then get to look at the plant lists they gave us and when we go back in Nov we take pics and drawings and measurements of our areas in our yards and soil samples and they will help us figure out what will go where. There will be a bunch of landscape architects at the next meeting. We can preorder all the plants at a huge discount and they will deliver them in mid Nov. A great deal.

The beauty of native plants is that they attract so much insect and bird life to your yard and they are so hardy and much more care free. I am really excited about converting more and more of my gardens to habitats for butterflies and hummingbirds. c

It has been a treat to read what everyone is doing. Very ambitious group of folks :)

• robin_DC
    12 years ago

Are others making progress on the projects? I am way behind schedule, and need to find a way to motivate myself to get on track!! When I made the plan I didn't account for time spent shopping for, wrapping and shipping a get well package for my mom this morning/afternoon, and I forgot that I'd promised DH to go tv-shopping today. And instead of working on the chairs last night I decided to hang some art in the dining room and spray paint a picture frame. Ah well. I should at least be able to finish the chairs and experiment with the casters...

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

robin_dc: I hope your mother feels better and that you enjoy a good movie on your new tv! Just because you didn't do the projects you'd planned on don't discount what you did -- hanging art, painting frames, making people feel thought of and spending time with your husband are all worthwhile.

I finished painting the frame (which turned out to be an insanely laborious project) and hung some art in one child's room, but I also went on a cleaning jag and that definitely feels rewarding.

• tinycastles
    12 years ago

Painting wood curtain rings. Cleaning. Cleaning. And more cleaning. And I shampooed a 8x10 area rug that is in our Hearth Room. It's now out air-drying on our deck.

• itltrot
    12 years ago

Well. I accomplished #2 & 7. I blame it on DH as I helped on the privacy fence. And that didn't even get finished as the saleslady didn't sell us enough materials and now we have to drive 1.5 hrs to get more. Grrr.

• User
    12 years ago

more pruning and cleaning up the flower beds. Rehung the old windows as one had fallen a couple months ago. It broke the big mirror on the back. DH did some miracle piecing and it is All BETTER !

Everything looks good. Hummingbirds think so too as they were dive bombing us as we worked LOL. So we had a celebratory time by the pool and called it good for now . c

• leafy02
    12 years ago

Congrats to all of us who got stuff done--and to all who didn't get a chance to because life interfered (or because they got a better offer ;-> ).

Let the list-making for next weekend begin!

• franksmom_2010
    12 years ago

The chairs and upholstery are done! Pics to follow after the paint cures. The light fixture is like the SUN at night, so I may swap out bulbs for 40 watt and see how it goes. Still need to touch up the ceiling, but progress was made!