SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Week-end project - two week-ends

Lars
14 years ago

Here's Kevin's record of what we've been doing the past two week-ends. The weather has been getting cool lately, down to the mid and lower 50s at night/early morning, and Kevin wanted something to shield his bed from the north window above his bed. So I designed a headboard for his bed, which we built and upholstered, and now he is shielded from the cold air. Two week-ends ago we bought the lumber/plywood and build the frame, after I had drawn a full scale template for the shape. We had to do quite a bit of gluing and left the frame in the garage over the past week. Then last week-end we went to Leimert Park to shop for African mudcloth for the headboard (and bed covering) and were lucky to find a piece of fabric that was almost just the right size (the black and white fabric on the headboard in the photo). The width was almost perfect, but I had to sew extenders onto the sides in order to be able to attach the fabric to the frame. The seams don't show, but they were necessary for stretching the fabric. Since the fabric was mud-cloth, I had to apply backing to the entire piece of fabric, since it was not really one piece of fabric, but six narrow pieces of fabric loosely sewing together by hand. The whole fabric was made by hand, including the dyeing process, and so the fabric was not very stable until I backed it.

I'm posting this so that you will know why I have been distracted lately. I'll post some of my own photos of the project later. I have a much better photo of the headboard.

Lars

Comments (14)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES