SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

This weekend's project aka What a mess I have to clean up!

bethnorcal9
10 years ago

I have so little time to work in the yard. Working 6days a week these last few yrs is taking a toll on me... and my garden! I didn't get this bed/area weeded out the last couple of yrs, and it's become a total nightmare! It's out in full sun all day, and uphill on the highest part of our property. The faucet up there doesn't have enough pressure to put out a good spray with the drip sprinklers, so I removed all that and stuck an oscillating sprinkler up there. I have to run the sprinkler for an hour every other day, and I'm afraid that's not even enough. I really need to throw some mulch and steer manure up there to try and retain more moisture. But first I have to yank out all the weeds!! I'm trying to get my husband to help me, but that's often like pulling teeth. We have 3 green waste cans and it's gonna fill all three. There's all sorts of dead foxtail grass, small walnut tree and oak seedlings, and then there's that dreaded VETCH! OMG. I had no idea it was going to spread like wildfire this yr from the little patch that was there last yr. It engulfed the entire area.

These pics show the mess as it is at this moment, but you should've seen it a couple months ago before I tore out a bunch of the upper layer when it was still green and lush. Now it's all dead and gone to seed, so next yr it'll come back with a vengeance! Auggghhhh!! This used to be one of the prettiest areas of my yard. But the roses don't bloom like they should and it's my fault. I just don't have the time or energy to do all this. I have to try and keep up with it as best I can. I don't want to lose any of the roses. And this is just one area of the yard. I have many other beds that I haven't cleaned out in a long time. It's sad how carried away I got over the yrs. Rose addiction/collecting can become overwhelming!

South side towards the street (MARILYN MONROE)
{{gwi:283382}}

West side above the driveway (TEMPIE LEE, JEAN DU TILLEUX, CHARLES DE GAULLE)
{{gwi:283384}}

Center bed
{{gwi:283387}}

Northest corner
{{gwi:283389}}

North side along the fence (JEAN DU TILLEUX, TEMPIE LEE)
{{gwi:283391}}

Hmmm... I need to dig out a ton of irises too....

Comments (18)