SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

You all make it look so easy-i'm messing up this paint job. Help!

estreya
15 years ago

Given the incredibly ambitious projects so many of you take on and complete with great success, i feel totally embarrassed about my situation. I'm trying to paint some wooden inserts on my stair pillars, and i seem to have made a huge mess of things. This is what i've done so far:

1. Taped off the area and sanded the wooden inserts down to bare wood (there was a thick shiny varnish or something over the wood and i thought it best to sand it down before priming).

2. Wiped down the sanded wood with a damp rag and let it dry overnight.

3. Painted with primer and became horrified at the apparent impossibility of getting a coat that doesn't show every stroke or touch of the brush. Did all four sides of each pillar even though i was pretty sure i was screwing up.

4. Came to the forum for help.

I've painted walls before and didn't run into this problem. Have i really screwed this up? Could i be using the wrong brush? Where do i go from here? Perhaps a light sanding to smooth it out some before applying another coat of primer, and ultimately paint?

I'm not happy with myself at the moment, and i don't want to compound my error. Pics attached. Bla.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (21)