SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizziebethtx

OT a little bit - is it just me or is this not kosher? Etsy rant

lizziebethtx
13 years ago

I found a way cool antique map on etsy of my home state. It's vintage...from the 1930s....and is 9 x 11 inches. It's small, but very cool and not typical, but illustrated with sketches of industry, agriculture and interesting things about the history of the state.

The seller has been on etsy a very long time...according to her profile her shop has been mentioned on about 15-20 blogs (she lists them) and all her feedback is 100% positive, with over 1700 sales.

The seller listed the map for $21.00. I had a question about it and sent her an email. She answered the question and I decided to buy the map. When I went to purchase the map...(less than 24 hours after I wrote her the question and about 12 hours after I received her answer)...I noticed she had increased the price to $24.00.

I wrote her again and asked her why there was a price increase. She stated she has been bombarded with questions and requests for old maps lately and it caused her to research old maps on the net. Upon doing so, she discovered that (quote) these maps go for upwards of $50.00 and she had to re-think the price.

I sincerely doubted that a map that small...taken out of a book...and only from the 1930s would sell for so much so I decided to check other vintage maps listed on etsy. I found lots of larger maps...about 11 x 17 that were hand-colored from the 1800s that were in the $40-$50 range, but nothing so expensive that compared to the map I was interested in. Of course, the cost of old maps is totally beside the point, as my beef is she raised the price after I expressed interest in the map. Granted, it's ONLY $3.00 more and that amount is not going to make or break me, but it's the point.

So, am I justified in being ticked-off...or am I just being hormonal tonight? I'm going to buy the map anyway because I want it that badly....but I think it's terrible business to raise the price of something once a conversation has been started with a potential buyer and less than 24 hours passes before purchase.

Rant over. Thanks for listening to a hormonal 50-year-old woman.

Comments (23)