A first world brat (me) and her first world rant (recipe websites)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (65)
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
Related Discussions
NYT: A Cane the World Can Lean On
Comments (1)I saw this article also and got excited to think that maybe more types of bamboo would be available at a lower price. But I went to their website and searched for all the bamboo and most of what they are tissue-cloning is best for the Northwest and not my Zone 10 Southeast. Guess I'll have to keep looking for bamboo the way I have been, nursery by nursery....See MoreMakayla bakes her first loaf
Comments (47)coconut, how WILL Aunt Coke be able to cook Thanksgiving dinner without help? It won't be the same, you know. Poor Aunt Coke... Diane and RR, she will indeed be five in November. I know, it's hard to believe. Sigh. I'm going to cry when she gets on that bus for Kindergarten..... Deanna, just borrow some young mother's small children! I borrowed nieces and nephews and neighbors until I got Makayla and Bud. (grin Yes, Bruvver does need to learn. First, though, he needs to learn to use the potty. (grin) Sally, Linda, sure I'll be your Grandmother. LOLOLOL. The age thing might be a bit difficult to explain, but the cupcakes will make it all worthwhile, I'm sure. Jessica, the scrapbook is a good idea, I'll have to remember that. She could have her own cookbook with her favorite recipes, she'd like that. Annie...See MoreLOOKING for: Home made recipe for Hollywood diet in Womans World
Comments (12)Hello, Im writing this so others can avoid MY awful experience with this Âjump start 48 Âhour diet, sometimes called the Hollywood Diet. ItÂs Monday now and IÂm almost feeling normal again, but still very weak. Ever have stomach flu? ThatÂs what this was like. Saturday morning, full of determination, I mixed up a batch of the WomanÂs World recipe of the diet. Since it had more protein, it sounded more healthy than the Hollywood version of the Âjump-start recipe. Besides, I donÂt care for papayas or apricots, which may be the source of the bitter tang some users have complained about. It tasted just FINE, and I had my first shake at around 10 am, then went about my usual weekend activity, which was sewing. Not too strenuous. I worked steadily with a big container of water next to me, taking sips off that to keep hydrated as many have recommended. When I got hungry, I drank another fruit shake. Of course I used the toilet a lot more with all this liquid, but IÂd expected that, after all, I was trying to clean out my system. In articles IÂd read about this sort of diet IÂd learned our bowels can hold from 2-7 pounds of wasteÂwhich accounts for most of the Âweight lost in this diet. Of course, once youÂre back on regular food afterwards it all comes back, a little detail the TV infomercials leave out. Around 4pm my dogs came in and began staring at me. Not normal behavior for them. They are very perceptive pooches and their message was clear: ÂAre you feeling bad? They were right. I was feeling woozy, and had a headache, which I attributed to the sudden diet shift. I drank more water and decidedÂafter sewing a long seam up the wrong wayÂthat I needed to compromise on this. My weakness was such that I couldnÂt sit up to sew anymore, so I lay down on the bed and thought things over. As in the Slim Fast diet the idea of having one sensible meal for dinner made sense. So I had one (with some Tylenol) and felt a little better, but not much. I found I was too weak to sit at the sewing machine even then, and my trips to the toilet were becoming more frequent and cramp-ridden. Ditto for my between-runs rests. I dozed the rest of the slow evening, lurching up from bed to deal with bouts of out-and-out diarrhea, cursing myself for being so stupid. I got NO sleep that night, only catching short, shallow dozing between stumbling to the bathroom every 30 to 40 minutes, and groaning with cramp. Throughout all that my little dogs snuggled close, giving what comfort they could. I had chills, then the sweats like a fever victim, terrible cramps, and a thunderous headache that no amount of Tylenol would fix. I kept drinking water, knowing that if I didnÂt keep hydrated IÂd only feel worse. Finally I took a dose of Emetrol for the nausea. Exactly 30 seconds later I was bent over the tub with an uncontrolled case of the heaves, and remained there in abject misery for the next half hour. I crept back to bed, extremely weak, and went back to the chills, cramps, and sweats routine for the rest of the night. In the morning I still had the awful headache, and the shakes kept me from standing upright for more than a couple minutes. The cramps had abated, so I felt certain I was on the down side of the bell curve. I continued drinking water, and in the afternoon managed to keep down a couple finely chewed crackers. I remained bed-ridden the whole of the day. By evening I had dry toast and an egg. So, there it was: the 24-hour give yourself stomach-flu symptoms diet, and, NO, I did NOT lose ANY weight. The only jump-start to my system darn near burned out the battery, leaving me incapacitated for 2 days, weaker but wiser on the third. (And full of gas!) I will mention the one time I did lose weight a couple years back. I reduced my calorie intake to 1000-1200 a day, stopped drinking caffeine and anything fizzy (including diet fizzy drinks) and increased my walking to a mile a day. I lost 30 pounds. ItÂs the same old story, the quick miracle fads just donÂt work. I was able to stick to this one for only 8 hours before my body violently rebelled against the abuse. Had I stuck to it for 48 as the regime calls for IÂd have landed in a hospital with a bunch of health care workers shaking their heads over me, too polite to ask ÂWhat were you THINKING???? So you think about it now. As for meÂIÂm going back to the old routine. ItÂs slower, but more certain and 200% healthier. Pat Elrod...See MoreAmys world! Amys world! Party time! Excellent!
Comments (16)Morz i am 36. I did have a good time. I did not get nearly as annoyed as I normally do, as the food was all made ahead and just had to be reheated,except for some Buffalo chicken dip egg rolls that I made last minute. I was given all the compliments and accolades I deserve. Then I came home and made chicken quesadillas and rice for SO. Now I am watching Two Fat Ladies with my feet up. I am worn out but I have had a lot of other things going on this week besides the cooking marathon that I had to do. Nothing excessive. I had to take a stray orange tabby tomcat to the vet to have him fixed. He has decided he lives here now. Which is fine. Outdoor cats are always useful out here in the sticks. I named him George. George, the Duke of Orange. He is a cuddle bug which is somewhat an issue because I am allergic. So me and Allegra have been best friends lately. I had to go all over creation to try to buy a new fridge because mine is giving me attitude and NO ONE can deliver one before the turn of the next century it seems. I finally got one ordered and coming in a week. Seriously, why does it take a miracle to get an appliance lately? There is a dead creature, I suspect a mouse in the wall in my master bathroom which is making me hate my whole life. And I have lots of overtime coming up. So a party was a welcome distraction,even if I did do all the work. A success!...See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
Related Stories

MOST POPULARFirst Things First: How to Prioritize Home Projects
What to do when you’re contemplating home improvements after a move and you don't know where to begin
Full Story
MOST POPULARDare to Decorate With ‘The World’s Ugliest Color’
See how this hue can actually look quite handsome inside your home
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen of the Week: Function and Flow Come First
A designer helps a passionate cook and her family plan out every detail for cooking, storage and gathering
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: 20 Decor Pieces for That First Home Away From Home
Gather ideas now for a comfy and stylish dorm room in the fall — or try these finds in a new grad's first solo digs
Full Story
TASTEMAKERSWomen Who Are Changing the World From the Ground Up
A new book, ‘The Earth in Her Hands,’ profiles 75 inspiring women who work with plants. Read about 10 of them here
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: On Top of the Worldly in Florida
Global and vintage finds plus family heirlooms bring boho flair to a midcentury St. Petersburg home
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNWorld of Design: Global Foodies and Their Kitchens
Join us as 11 food lovers tell us about their kitchens and give us a taste of their culinary heritage
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHouzz Call: Tell Us About Your First Kitchen
Great or godforsaken? Ragtag or refined? We want to hear about your younger self’s cooking space
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES'Soft Modern' Style Offers Best of Both Worlds
Mix in a few curves and soft colors but nix the clutter, and the happy result is a balanced new take on modern design
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNDreaming of a Spa Tub at Home? Read This Pro Advice First
Before you float away on visions of jets and bubbles and the steamiest water around, consider these very real spa tub issues
Full Story



Annie Deighnaugh