SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

A first world brat (me) and her first world rant (recipe websites)

amylou321
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I was browsing a couple of recipe sites. I do that sometimes just for fun. You never know when something will catch your eye. Of course, this is the PEAK time for such websites, with all the food centered holidays. I usually love looking at the seasonal recipes, even the weird, not-gonna-happen ones. (butternut squash and Brussel sprout mac and cheese anyone? No, I didn't think so)

However, in the past few years I have been getting more and more impatient with these sites. Why? Because its the holidays. And I want to see recipes for stuffing. And rolls. And full fat sugar laden desserts covered in whipped cream. I do not want a recipe for "keto stuffing", (NOT STUFFING!!!) "Vegan Eggnog" (NOT EGGNOG IF IT'S VEGAN HON, I HATE TO TELL YOU THAT!!!) I don't want "lightened up" recipes for Mac and cheese or Mashed "faux-tatoes" made out of mushy overcooked cauliflower. On Thanksgiving, or Christmas for that matter, I think it's not only okay but important to let go of the diet for one stinkin meal. How about waiting until New Years to put the lower calorie, keto, paleo, plant-based, WW,super cleanse recipes up front and center?

I get it if one has food allergies. Even though the recipe sites I look at a lot don't really have a lot of adaptive recipes for many allergies, save gluten and maybe nuts. I have a BIL who has a severe allergy to beef,pork,dairy, nuts, and just recently, shellfish. Makes his whole face swell up and it quite an alarming site. He is miserable poor thing. So I adapt SOME stuff for him. He is flexible as far as he will eat what he can, even if its only one thing, or my sister will bring food just for him. I try to have enough things for him to have an actual meal though. I don't want anyone hungry OR swelling up in the face! At least he can eat poultry. And i even have no problem catering somewhat to a morality-based diet, such as vegetarian. ( I cannot cook vegan. Not on purpose anyway. Luckily, other than the fruit fly that nagged me at Walmart, I don't have any recent interactions with any, so no worries) But if someone asked me to make something to cater to a specific diet, like keto, the Starch Solution, or whatever else is trendy at the moment just to lose or maintain their weight, yeah, no. Not for the holidays. And no, I don't know how many "points" are in this. I used a pound of butter in it, does that help???? Why do you care? Its Thanksgiving! It's Christmas!

Even the doctor I used to see for weight loss told me to plain forget the diet plan on Thanksgiving and Christmas and enjoy whatever i wanted. Just for those days. And get back on the wagon the next day. I have heard this advice from other doctors as well as a dietitian my employer had come talk to us.

Yes, I know i can just scroll past the dumb diet recipes. I know that there are plenty of full fat traditional and delicious recipes on those same sites. But, for some reason, its getting to me more and more. I can only guess that as I do LOVE this time of year, I take these sorts of things as a killjoy. A food fuddy duddy, if you will. Its the food equivalent of that stupid Christmas song about starving kids in Africa. Or the one about the shoes and the kids mother dying on Christmas Eve. Or that one idiot that comes in to my office every year to preach about how Halloween is Satanic, or Christmas is an evil pagan ritual. Or that one shrew who protested my Christmas decor for unknown reasons even though she had no reason to be around them to be bothered by them. To me, vegan,low fat, 4 point cauliflower mac and "cheese" is of the same sentiment.

Anyway, I know I am being a brat. Thank you for indulging me. I shall now indulge myself with some REAL eggnog before i go try to walk it off.

Comments (65)