SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Round vs rectangular rug???

loves2read
11 years ago

We bought vacation house in FL that is 70s ranch...typical one story 3/2...the people we bought from had redone the kitchen--opened up one wall in central, galley style so that the front areas of the house are basically all open...light from two or three sides which is great...

The kitchen has a dining area and seating area in an L configuration around it...the kitchen cooktop faces the seating area...

We haven't bought dining furniture yet but did order 4 upholstered swivel/gliders from local furniture store...we plan to use them in circle arrangement with ottoman/coffee table in middle...

We have another living area across from the kitchen where we have large flatscreen, couch, and two slim recliners...so the front area is mainly for reading/talking...especially when people are in kitchen cooking...

The area with the chairs is not very wide...

Does it work better to use round rug to anchor that furniture or rectangular one which is more aligned with the shape of the room and the two separate areas?

AND should we use same shape under the dining table as in the seating area since they are so close?

The dining table will very likely be expandable square table...or smaller rectangular...say 40x40 or 42 x 42...

Likely we will get two tables same size/style and put one on other side of kitchen where there is room for breakfast table

We can put both tables together in larger dining space to seat 6 to 8 when we need to...

I looked on Houzz for circular rug and the pictures that come back often have a similar seating arrangement with four chairs and ottoman...but I am thinking that a circular rug to fit the chairs' placement would be bigger than a rectangular one and thus more expensive and maybe too big....

Guess I can mark it off with painters tape the next time we are in FL at Thanksgiving...but wondered what others might think...

Comments (5)