SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Using RAF on my scratched inlay end tables - progress pics & ques

Valerie Noronha
15 years ago

I started working today to fix up my inlay end tables I bought last month on Craigslist. I decided to start with the one in the worst shape which had a scratched top. It looked like there was some type of finish on the table and the scratches went though the finish, but not through the wood.

{{!gwi}}

I started off with a good cleaning with Murphy's Oil Soap and then tackled the scratches. They did not seem to come off with 0000 steel wool which I tried first though it seemed to rough up the finish so I progressed to using some sandpaper (not sure if this was the right thing to do, but it did seem to take out the scratches, plus some of the finish). Then I used the 0000 steel wood again and cleaned again with the oil soap. Here is a pic of the top before I started using RAF:

Then I applied the RAF. I did a couple of light coats, putting on and wiping off and waiting about 20 mins. between them, then a few more on some of the problem areas where the finish was chipped off. It looked like some glazing was done in the carved areas and was not sure how that would take, but it seems to go OK. What was a big surprise was how much it cleaned the inlay which looks much better, but the area where I had sanded it does not look right. I'm not sure if I ruined it or should've had it refinished or what to do next. Here are the after pics along side of the other table which I've not started yet.

Tomorrow I'm going to start the other table. I was wondering if there is anything more I can do to fix up the top of this one though--perhaps it's still drying?

Comments (25)