SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Makeover for combo DS/Guest room update (lots of pics, incl RAF)

Valerie Noronha
13 years ago

Redoing this room has presented quite a challange and while it's still a work in progress, I wanted to share our progress as well as get some feedback. DS will be going away in the fall for college and so I wanted to make some changes to it that would allow it to function better as a guest room--esp. as we are expecting my SIL and her DH to visit for two weeks in May for DS's graduation and we have no spare room for guests. I also wanted to clear away some of DS's clutter (which I mostly boxed up for him to go over when he has time, or worst case over the summer) to allow space for a double bed, nightstands and better showcase his pottery creations.

Here are a couple of the before pictures:

After sampling BM Wedgewood Gray, Smoke and Paladian Plue; I finally opted for a more neutral wall color, BM Revere Pewter. I love how this color goes with the drop cloth curtains from Home Depot; though I am still waiting on the curtain rod and have yet to hang them. I bought the following mahogany pineapple bed on CL for $100 and used RAF on both it and the nightstands (which I swaped out from DD's room):

The RAF had really amazing results with the nightstands.

Before:

After:

I purchased a combination of bedding for both DS and guests. DS has a washable black duvet and sheets. I bought a black & tan toile quilt set that can be layered with the duvet for when guests visit.

Here is what the room looks like so far:

This is the version for when guests visit:

This is DS's pottery:

I want to put the bed in front on the widow and put the nightstands to either side like below, but my DS did not care for that as it really cut down his floor space so I think we will leave it with the bed towards the wall and I'll store the nightstands until May and reconfigure at that time.

This room is still in a transitional state while DS still lives at home. With configuration as-is, he needs some type of bed lighting, but there is no space for a nightstand and I don't want to put anything on the wall so shopped the house and came up with this. I could do this or perhaps a clip on lamp on the desk:

He still uses the massive desk/hutch which I plan to phase out once he leaves for college. I've been considering if I should use one a java type finish for the desk/hutch or just leave as is and hope to replace by summer with a smaller kneehole type desk. I'm not sure if I should put up the drop cloth curtains now (there is about 6-7" between wall and bed) or wait until May and do it at that time. I also would like some feedback on the lamps. I thought they'd work well fur DS studying in bed and have a more masculine touch; but one comment was they are more desk lamps and don't work so would like to know what others think before I return them. I bought at Home Decorators for $40 each so don't want to return them unless they don't work. I did test of the shades and they don't get hot.

Comments (14)