SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Do I need something in this somewhat-naked corner?

Sueb20
9 years ago

What do you think? Do I need a something-something on the right side of the windows, under the painting? I was envisioning a tall plant stand, like 3' tall, something very simple, but I'm not finding anything that I like just yet. Or maybe it's fine as is. I think what's got me is that there is the bar cabinet on the other side of the windows, and nothing on this side.

And, if you come in my front door and turn right, that's what you see. The wall pictured. If you look to the left, you see a similar wall/corner in the living room which has a Stickley cabinet that's about 5' tall and 2' wide. So It feels like this corner needs something for balance? or maybe not.

Comments (63)

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Not a plant. I just can't envision it. JMO

What about a table that can have a changing tableau on it that indicates the changing seasons/holidays, etc., if you do that sort of decorating. Or if you have a collection of something. It looks like a great corner for personalization.

The problem with having a drinks table is that the symmetry and lines don't really allow for it. For the table to be close enough to the couch to be useful it won't be under the picture in the corner but will instead straddle the window frame and be off-center to the picture.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Maybe a trunk or two stacked with books on top?

Maybe you can get some ideas from this reading room?

Here is a link that might be useful: Reading Room

• Related Discussions

Naked walls need something but what?? Master bedroom.

Q

Comments (10)
    Nice room! Lovely bed and great bedding choice! Your TV solution is just fine! First -- consider adding bamboo blinds (or woven blinds) to your windows. Hang them so that they would disguise the window moldings -- and hide the fact that the windows are different sizes. THEN hang your pretty curtains. The blinds would add to the "natural" vibe of your decor -- plus add visual texture and interest. Next -- consider lighting. Add lamps (Maybe oil rubbed bronze?) around the room -- matching ones on each side of the bed. Plus one on the dresser and perhaps a standing one by the long mirror. Or you could hang the mirror and add a lamp over it for even better lighting. Then -- head over to art.com website. Simply browse through some of their categories and see what kinds of artworks "grab" your attention. Flip through decor magazines and see what artworks work for you too. For a simpler artwork solution -- hang two 5x7 black-and-white photos of your home or family or local antique scenes or gardens ((just examples!!)) -- mat them in larger-than-normal sizes and frame them in black -- over your dresser. The larger sized mats will make the photos look more fresh and modern. I would not hang anything on the walls around the bed area until you get some lamps there first ..... and try the bamboo blinds. You may find that visual texture is enough for that area. Jan
    ...See More

Should I just go naked? Need window treatment help!

Q

Comments (34)
    Rebeccamom, there are so many people with the same dilemma, we should start a "show me your kitchen window" thread. I also have a finished kitchen with a naked window. While these are my backyard neighbors, I also live in New England and the window feels stark when the leaves come down. I just purchased Levolor cellular white blinds which they custom cut at the store and are really reasonable. It is still in the box and awaiting DH's next day off. I thought it would still give me the naked look, but could pull it down on those cold evenings that have already started. I saw some custom roman shades online at jcpenny, but I need to call to find out if I can get fabric samples.
    ...See More

Do I need a new rug? Or a corner cabinet?

Q

Comments (32)
    Fabulous - I was reading along and Didn't realize it was an old thread. My first thought was that I Love all the pattern, but the rug is too cold toned if there is such a thing. :) then Viola! a warm rug that is perfect! What patience you have in waiting a year. Something I need to remember as I deal with my new house and want it all done NOW! :)
    ...See More

I’m needing help with my kitchen wall it feels naked.

Q

Comments (14)
    Some ideas: If this is an option, I’d pull the table away from the wall a bit more and get a fun MCM buffet. (It may not be space feasible, I don’t know what’s around the area.) An area rug. Not necessarily this particular style or size, just wanted to show how it anchors the table and chairs. As mentioned, colorful artwork. Maybe two pieces of art, hung vertically. If you’re into a very minimal look, leave the mirror but lower it some. _________________________ ETA: Was posting at the same time as Felipe Custom Woodwork. Those are what I had in mind, too. :)
    ...See More
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the input so far. These chairs are a real PITA and maybe they are too problematic. First of all, they were $30 at a consignment shop so they're not family heirlooms that I have to keep. They can go elsewhere and be pulled out for emergency seating. So there's that.

There is a plant that lives on the radiator cover in front of the window. He just wasn't in the room in the first pic, because that was right after painting was done. Here is the room as it really is -- this morning, where there's now a real-life little mess on the table.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the reason why we don't have one chair on the opposite side of the table. This chair is DH's reading chair. The loveseat is mine.

The wood thing on the far left is the side of the bookcases, Two tall, 30" wide bookcases. So, we don't need more bookcases in the naked corner.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is what it looks like with the chairs pulled up to the table. Weird, right?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the little drinks table placed next to the loveseat. Meh. And seems redundant with that big table right there.

• bpath
    9 years ago

How about a tall, like 24"+, skinny vase with a (fake or dried) fluffy feathery grass (what am I thinking of, I can't remember what it's called, like a pampas grass?)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

But -- in all of this processing, I came up with another idea.

What if we got a second chair like the leather chair (I can get the same one, or something slightly smaller) and placed it here? Here I've moved it over. Or...something else. Like an upholstered bench (with a back)? Hmm...?

Seriously, 95% of the time there are 2 people in this room. Once or twice a year, we might have 1-2 other couples and we sit around the table eating takeout or apps, but otherwise all our entertaining and eating take place in the kitchen/great room. So we don't need more seating than the loveseat and the one chair most of the time, but if I just took out the chairs, it would feel like we need some other seating on that side of the table, even if no one ever uses it. I think. Or, maybe taking the chairs out and finding the right thing (plant stand, funky cabinet, whatever) in that corner would be fine?

Thoughts?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

What is in the corner from where you're taking the photos, i.e.: the other side of the radiator cover? Can hubby's chair go there? Then you can have the chairs around the table, right?

Those chairs are so nice. I think the table would look so odd standing there alone. The issue seems to be placement of the leather chair.

I think a side table next to the love seat is a good idea, but I'd get a square one because the round looks like the big table's offspring and looks odd. Then yes, hang another painting below that one and a couple of other pieces of decor on the wall next to the radiator cover.

• User
    9 years ago

I would take one of the the chairs you've got pulled up to the side and put it at the table then take the other one and place it on the empty wall space under the artwork. You could even place a tray with a plant or a pile of books on it to add more interest if you like that look. I think with the table there you should have a chair that kind of goes with the table, more lightweight and moveable than the leather chair.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tib, I am standing in the open doorway to the room, off the front foyer, when taking the pics. No space there for a chair unless we want to block the entry. The edge of the radiator cover is maybe two feet from the doorway. There really is nowhere else to put the leather chair.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I am wondering if just one chair is needed that is similar to your husbands and move the other two elsewhere. As for the corner, I still like the idea of a small chest or something you like with books stacked on top. How is the lighting in the room? Perhaps a small table with a lamp on it for the corner? Another idea is a small ottoman or poof with some books on top. It could provide for extra seating and add some softness.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Does the round table have to be centered or can it be pulled back a bit toward the radiator cover to allow room for the chairs?

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

What about a beautiful floor lamp? I only see the overhead chandelier for lighting.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

ooh, floor lamp is a great idea.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If you can see where the wall meets the floor in a smaller room, especially in a corner, it gives a greater feeling of spaciousness...not every corner needs something.

• amykath
    9 years ago

For kicks I added an upholstered chair to your room instead of the two small wooden chairs.

It obviously could be turned in a different fashion etc. but just a thought.

• pattyxlynn
    9 years ago

This suggestion might be more convoluted than helpful since I don't know what these are called, but here goes... How about the ottoman-type seats that go under a table when not in use? Is there room for them with the table legs? It will make the table seem like it's not standing alone in the room. They would give extra seating as well. If more substantial seating is required for your occasional guests, you could then bring back the additional chairs you have now just for those times.

• bpath
    9 years ago

The floor lamp, genius. After all, how do you read on the sofa? Or, an upliggt/torchiere, for a glow when you don't want the ceiling fixture on?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Love the room at 904 just as it is

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha... I did have a floor lamp there before, next to the loveseat. But I just ordered a fab new table lamp that is intended for the top of the bar cabinet, but could go on top of some sort of table in the naked corner. I just happen to usually sit on the side of the loveseat closer to the bar cabinet (you know, so I can reach the booze inside, LOL).

I did try one of the chairs on the wall under the painting, but it looked silly to have a chair sitting right next to a loveseat in a row like that. I think I just have to maybe wait and look and find the right sort of funky item that would seem right there. Meanwhile, I am still leaning toward moving the chairs out of that room and getting an upholstered chair where I have the leather chair at 9:04 (that one seems slightly too big, but I am having a vision of a smaller chair in a dark plush fabric...).

Round table has to be centered. It's under the chandelier and bugs me if it's even a few inches off.

atk, I think you and I are on a similar track. And you know what, I have an antique little Mission style footstool -- might look cute under the painting with books stacked on it. Or might look stupid. TBD.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Love the idea of ottomans as patty suggested. A floor lamp is a nice idea too.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just for kicks, here's a coordinating chair -- same manuf. as the chair and loveseat we have -- that would be a bit smaller than our armchair.

Here is a link that might be useful: chair

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I am writing this as I go through the posts so please excuse any contradictions in my thought process.

I love the plant. And believe it or not, the 'mess' is a sculptural element. (don't laugh), when friends come to visit the 'sculptural mess' can be a casual display of what the kids, or myself, are working on, or a few momentos I drug out of the attic or a greeting card or photo for guests to muse over for a second, as they pass thru to the kitchen.

I also love the chairs. It doesn't look like there is enough room for one of them to sit facing the settee, is there (as opposed to at an angel)? because that might look less weird. What if one of the chairs was paced under the painting and the other on the far side of the radiator? (oops, you said that don't work) Getting a second chair like the reading char is smashing -it looks great to me. I don't know if you need a corner piece with that chair there, it commands more space then it takes up and draws the eye from the settee around the room skipping over the void.

A drink stand doesn't have to be a 22" high end table, nor does it have to be pushed up close touching the settee. It can be taller and centered under the wallart. It need only be within reach, even in you have to twist in your seat, and have enough open space to hold a drink. A 'visual' drink stand, even if not all that practical. But yeah, that candle table looks dumb there, by itself. I like aktillery's idea of a table with a lamp or a chair with books stacked on it.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 11:50

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Back to patty's suggestion, these little stools are cute (link below). In velvet? Yum. I am obsessed with ottomans anyway.

I agree, with a bigger chair in that spot, the corner could remain naked. Empty. Maybe empty is a better word.

Yes, if one of the wood chairs were placed opposite the loveseat, you'd have to squeeze by to walk between the chair and the bookcases.

I know the room is quirky (and too small!) and I am totally fine with that.

I think the answer is to put the wood chairs elsewhere in the house and find something else for that space. I wonder how a bench would look. I have one in the living room that I can put there as an experiment. I also have another chair I can play with there, just to see... hang on. More to come.

Thanks for hanging in with me so far. Maybe you should all just come over for coffee and we can move furniture around together.

Here is a link that might be useful: stools

• lilylore
    9 years ago

by sueb20: Maybe you should all just come over for coffee and we can move furniture around together.

Now there's a workout video I would buy in a new york second. "Moving Furniture around to the Oldies"

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I actually have Stevie Wonder's greatest hits playing on the stereo right now. Good enough?

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

What is to the right of the radiator cover as you walk into the room? Maybe I missed this. Could you put one of the 2 chairs angled into the bare corner and the other to the right of the radiator cover against the wall?

I like the little round drink table next to the love seat. But if you don't like it there, maybe find something else, like a small square table of similar size or a ceramic garden bench in a color that would go with the room. I like the idea of more openness in the room instead of the 2 chairs in between the large round table and the radiator. If the 2 chairs don't go, maybe one of them could be put in another room. They are really cute. Love how your room has turned out.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Love those little stools!!! Perfect!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I moved this little side table from the porch to the empty spot just to see what it might look like.

And there's a stool just to see -- that one goes in the living room (okay, is is becoming clear that I like quirky?) but it's somewhat similar in scale to the West Elm one.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I think you are on to something GREAT!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wait. This is better. Books AND plant.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

With some titles chosen with care...

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I agree with aktillery. The stool is a good proportion. The side table is good, too; I could see a lamp, vase or sculpture on it. In fact, with a sculpture, you wouldn't need to push it against the wall, so it balanced out the space more?

Opps, crossposting. I didn't see the book stack when I wrote ^.
    The books are actually a kind of sculptural element. I am really liking that.

Now, when we come over for furniture aerobics class, are we allowed to check-out books, too? You have some good titles.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 13:54

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

That is GREAT! Should it be turned the other way, though? Hmmmâ¦.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a chair I just "found" in the living room...

• lilylore
    9 years ago

You know, the scale of the table is a little quirky for the space. But what I am loving is the way the molding frames it and the art. This actually brings out the molding, and I think it resolves the corner in a very charming and unusual way.

Now, when you bring the other chair in and I go "Oh, that's nice", it tells me that you've resolved the corner and just about any other choice in the extra seating/or no extra seating will work, magically.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 14:04

• User
    9 years ago

I wonder if another leather chair would be too much leather. Maybe something in a nice fabric would look better.

This post was edited by gail618 on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 14:32

• teacats
    9 years ago

Love the whole arrangement!!! :)

Books, chair, table plants -- just everything!!!

Wonderful room! :)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's funny, the chair seat on that additional chair looks lower than the others but it's not. I actually had to measure to make sure. I like that the low back doesn't block the window. I'm going to live with it like this for a bit and see.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Looking better already!!! Not that it wasn't stunning to begin with!

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I LOVE the changes! :)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

gail, I had thought fabric too but, you know, I had this FREE chair in the next room so figured it was worth a try. ;)

Thanks everyone.

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

Love the room! Can you please tell me more about the adorable little black "drinks table"?!

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Woosh! I'm a little tired after moving all that furniture around. I think I'm going to go take a little nap.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

prickly, that little table is from Crate & Barrel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sadie table

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So on Wed. -- two days ago -- I moved that green chair from the living room to the dining room. TODAY, DH walked by the dining room and said "where did that green chair come from?" LOL. That green chair has been in the living room for several years. Classic DH.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

@sueb20: you just know that imaginary receipts were racing through your DH's head for that "new" chair.

Looks great!

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

Thank you! I now have a Crate & Barrel not too far from home. I'll go check it out.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

It's really just so perfect. I love the added detail and color that the corner vignette brings. I also love that the room is not a traditional furniture arrangement, but one that i imagine works very very well for how people really live.