SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinkpowertools_gw

Desperate to create curb appeal *photos

pinkpowertools
15 years ago

I am desperate for some fresh ideas about my house. I am a photoshoper myself but have hit a wall when it comes to knowing what to make out of this house and how to improve it's curb appeal. I never liked this house when we bought it (long story). I had plans for a large remodel that DH now says is too much money. I am hoping someone here can help me see this house in a new way. Everyone here has always been so generous with their ideas I thought maybe this would be a good place to ask for help.

I need to add curb appeal but there are also some issues that need addressing at the same time. The front steps need to be rebuilt (falling apart). The peak over the front door has a rotten area where the fascia board touches the other roof and the stucco is falling off in this area. The dormer on the back of the garage leaks and needs to be removed/replaced. All the windows on the house need to be replaced and I would prefer double hung with divided lights and a different configuration. All the stucco needs to come off because all the timbers in-between the stucco is rotten. I am willing to paint the brick. If I had a bigger budget I would remove the brick entirely. I would also like to have cedar shakes instead of stucco and I donÂt really care for "This" Tudor style house. To me the Tudor style was an afterthought to the builder and cheaply done. I don't mind changing some of the roof line because the roof needs to be re-shingled. Also I don't love the back of the house it looks slapped on because the roof styles donÂt match. I could go on and on with what I donÂt like but tell me what you think. Where should I start?

Comments (32)

• jen9
    15 years ago

It looks like you have a magnificent setting for your home. I agree that it is not a 'well done' tudor -- but the bones of the house look good. Is it possible to match the exisitng brick? bbb
    With all that you are going to put into the house, perhaps it would be worthwhile to enlist the help of an architect or designer ? In any event, I hope you get lots of responses, as there are many talented contributors here!

• User
    15 years ago

What's really popular around here is to replace areas such as your stuccoed bumpouts with a contrasting rock. And instead of having it exactly like it is on yours, bring it all the way to the ground so it looks grounded.

• Related Discussions

Desperate for curb appeal!!!

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks for all of your ideas!! I am thinking about putting a horizontal piece of white molding running between the two sets of windows. It would be at the same level as the gutters on the short side of the house. If I put shrubs below the windows, how would a trellis with a vine look in between the bottom windows? I don't think we have enough room for multiple birch trees, but like the idea. Do you think serviceberries would be too short? Maybe a small/medium christmas tree shaped evergreen tree or magnolia? I will definitely use the idea of up lighting.
    ...See More

Desperately seeking curb appeal! Help w/ paint color

Q

Comments (9)
    xantippe, it's no longer a double door house..that is our oddball window, and the one that concerns me about accenting the window trim. It doesn't have the wide trim around it that the other windows have, it's also longer than the other windows. I've thought about gray, but I was thinking that I wanted a change..since the white already looks gray :) I love deeper colors on houses (and not just because of road grim..something about them just has always appealed to me) Bulldinkie, living in Pa is so wonderful for driving around looking at all of the old houses. It's always been our dream to own one, and now here we are...living in our very own money pit..lol! kindred ny, we have tossed around the idea of extending the porch..I love the idea! We'll have to see what the budget dictates when we get to that part of the renovation. One thing is for sure though...I HATE the hip roof on the porch...so whether we extend or not, the porch redo will have a shed style roof and not a hip roof! Since I took the pictures last week, I painted the front door and front storm door red...it does a bit to perk up the front but mostly it just makes the rest of the paint on the house and porch look sadder :) How stupid would it look if I painted the trim around the windows and the oddball window didn't have the same treatment? Any ideas on what I could do to camouflage ...or should I perhaps just accept it as part of the quirkiness of the house?
    ...See More

My house is in DESPERATE need of curb appeal please help!

Q

Comments (57)
    Thank you ladies : ) but these last images of the house are Jay's vision for his place. Awm, I especially appreciate your acknowledging my input and ideas, as the photoshopping is simply a design and communication tool. I always wonder if anyone notices, or appreciates more than the shopping! The creativity and challenges are where my heart is, aside from loving to help people solve their problems or achieve their vision. And, of course, I want to be good at that, too! I'm glad you always learn something. So do I! One always needs to learn more, and it makes the process all the more fun. So, thank you, again, for your compliments and encouragement on projects : ) It is very much appreciated.
    ...See More

1970's Ranch in desperate need of curb appeal!

Q

Comments (23)
    Anna I love your front entry! Of course you already know I like the color scheme :) what colors did you use? We haven’t 100% committed because we haven’t purchased more than the sample sizes. If I could I’d just get rid of the brick, but that’s more than I have to spend! im also open to other paint ideas, we just want to freshen things up and improve curb appeal this summer. Our neighbors house is a rusty orange and red brown trim, the others is a blue tinged white with bright red trim. The rest of the homes in the neighborhood are beige like mine or green, grey, or blue. Lots of stone on those as well. Full sun today.
    ...See More
  • nhb22
    15 years ago

I don't know your budget, but if the stucco and wood are in bed shape, you need to address that quickly. I like your idea of shingles, but go with Hardy board for more durability.

• decor64
    15 years ago

It looks like it could be in my neighborhood! We have lots of 'Contemporary Tudors' (that's what they call them in real estate ads). If you don't want to go to a lot of trouble and expense, what might work is simply painting the trim and stucco a color that blends with the brick. Lots of my neighbors have done that and it really modernizes the look. If you want to do more then I suggest bringing both the areas of trim and stucco that are 'hanging' all the way down. The back of the house looks very nice IMO.

• pinkpowertools
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, the stucco and wood is in bad shape as are the windows so I will definately be replacing the windows and all the siding. My biggest problem is I don't love this contemporary style house. I prefer a more traditional or cottage style house which is why I would like to replace stucco with shingles. I also think painting the brick to match the upper part may help and possibly adding shutters to some of the windows. I also prefer windows with mullions (dividers) instead of big open panes of glass.

The big question is, do you think the back of the house goes with the front of the house? Anyway, I hate contemporary and the back really looks contemporary.

I will post some of my photoshop work here later and see what everyone thinks but in the meantime if someone else would like to take a crack at photoshoping their ideas that would be great.

• mjlb
    15 years ago

I agree with OP that the "Tudor" style is lacking -- so much so that it would probably be easier to forget about it and adapt the house exterior to another style entirely.

Would that be okay with you? If so, is there any style that appeals to you?

I agree with decor64, that the back of the house looks quite nice (other than the "Tudor" detailing). I particularly like the shed dormer, and hope you retain it.

• pinkpowertools
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would love to change the style of the house and I am very open to any suggested style changes. I like traditional, cottage, mix of textures. I love white trim, bluestone front stoop, and windows with mullions (sp). I would also like to use a front door that has glass but a more divided light style and double hung windows and a few shutters if they work. does that make any sense?

• mclarke
    15 years ago

Right now, to me, it looks like the left part of the house doesn't belong to the right half.

If you're open to changing the roof line, think about adding a gable-end dormer to the garage roof -- to echo the gable ends you already have.

What about landscaping? The house is so angular, it would really be helped by some green "softening" along the front.

It bothers me that the windows in the garage are so small and so different than the rest of your windows. When you re-do the windows, whatever you choose to do, keep this in mind.

• awm03
    15 years ago

I understand your feelings, as I'm trying to make my 1960s phony colonial look more like the real thing.

I actually like your house! What would you think of trying to make the Tudor elements more authentic? Your house's bones aren't bad, and the design elements can be worked with. You have pretty brick too. Looks like you're due for a new roof -- something with texture would work very well.

I thought these windows would look great in your home without overwhelming the facade with too many mullions. The window box is a terrific touch too:
    {{!gwi}}
    Here's the link below in case the picture doesn't show up.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• pinkpowertools
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok. Here is one of the ideas to change the house style. the upper portion would be shingled in a putty color and the brick would be painted in a putty color to match. White trim and black front door and shutters. But does the back then match the front? Notice I changed the two front peaks into a single and then added one over the right side window for balance.

I agree with mclarke that the house needs to be balanced with something over the garage. Right now there is an office space over the garage that has a leaking roof so in fixing that we can expand the space to include some windows on the front of the house and add to the ceiling height.

This is a big step and I don't want to end up with a back that doesn't go with the front which I think is what I have now but maybe it only bothers me.

Our original plans called for changing the hip roof over the back of the house to a gable but it's an expensive change. It would save a ton of money not to change the roof line over the back of the house(DH never understood my need to change roof line on the back to match the front, but nothing bothers him the way it bothers me.)

On the mock up of the back I added a tiny white outline to show the back dormer would be replaced by something that matches the front but I didn't take the time to try and draw that in. anyway, what do you think?

do you see problems? does it not blend or flow?
    The only thing that still bothers me is how tight the windows will be to the soffit or roof line on the back of the house. This over hang is pretty deep (20" hard to tell from photo) but I have been told not possible to shorten or modify unless we change the roof.

mockup not in true perspective but drawn as close as possible over existing photo

quick mock up of back

• nhb22
    15 years ago

WOW!!! Tell your husband that your re-do is a must! You would most likely make a nice profit when it came time to sell the house. That's wonderful!

• pinkpowertools
    Original Author
    15 years ago

newhomebuilder- Do you think the back blends with the front?

I had my heart set on tearing that back roof off but it sure would be nice to save that money right now.

Whatever changes I make to the outside will be my only chance and I don't want to mess it up.

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

Often ersatz Tudoring can be unsatisfactory. Not an expert, but I live in an old neighborhood with a mix of architectural styles, and two homes a few doors up are Tudor Revivals built in the early 1900's. One is all brick with window and assorted wood trims a complimentary reddish brown. It's on a wooded lot and has a minimum of additional landscaping.

The other is also brick with the half timbering on the upper levels and gables. The stucco is a creamy tan with brown timbering - less in your face than white/off white. This one, also on a wooded, lot has a modern addition which they married to the main block of the house with assorted shrubs and conifers. Nothing outside the box; junipers and yews left on the natural side and not sheared into boxes and balls, and a really magnificent arching Bridal Wreath spirea at a corner.

Neither of these houses "loom" even though they sit on pretty good expanses of lawn.

It goes without saying the maintenance issues mentioned come first. And if the roof is going to need more than a shingle over and you're planning on reconfiguring the roofline and windows and, in general, giving the main facade a facelift, any landscaping now would just get in the way.

But, it's never too early to make plans - especially if you've got photoshop, etc. And once you get a few planning stages in, I wouldn't be hesitant to post on the Landscape Design forum. There is some real talent there, especially if you indicate where you are, what you like and don't like, a basic idea of whatever "vision" you might have, rough idea of budget, etc. They could certainly help out with determining the kind of scale any future planting should have.

As for ideas for curb appeal, I think the left half between the windows could handle a trellis with a climber of some sort, or an espaliered dwarf fruit tree - not a skimpy fan or section of lattice type trellis, but something easily constructed with quarter round moulding that you could keep adding on to.

• mjlb
    15 years ago

Wow, you're hot stuff with Photoshop -- wish I had half your ability! I see where you're going with the front, but it would be great if an architect would join the discussion.

You mention that front and back don't match. I think they still don't, because the front is too formal -- particularly all the triangular pediment elements over windows and bays. It might be better to dress down the front of the house to a more informal style.

I like the addition of a covered front stoop. Also like the idea of adding a dormer to the front of the garage, but the dormer style that you drew intersects with roof oddly. I can't explain it well, but check out Get Your House Right: Architectural Elements to Use & Avoid by Marianne Cusato. (She won the winning Katrina cottage.) Perhaps a shed dormer matching the one on the rear of the garage would work well, and also be more informal.

• awm03
    15 years ago

That's a great design, pink. Very nice!

The link to the windows I wanted you to see doesn't work -- the company has the picture copyright protected. Here's a second try. The windows are the diamond mullions on the top sash only (third picture from the bottom on the right).

diamond window mullions on top sash only

I still think the windows would work well with your house in case you can't afford a full makeover.

• mclarke
    15 years ago

Love the mockup!

The addition of the dormors over the garage are great.

Regarding the back.... would it be possible to add a couple of windows to the back of the garage? To my eye, this would be an inexpensive way to add some weight and balance to the rear facade.

• spitfire_01
    15 years ago

How would it look to add a long pergola on that blank wall behind the garage? Maybe even plant a row of tall, narrow shrubs (arborvitae?), then set the pergola about 4 feet from the garage?

I wish I had a link, but several years ago I saw a make-over story where the architect hid a unsightly wall with a row of shrubs and a narrow pergola. It immediately gave the space a more formal look.

• pinkpowertools
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So many good suggestions.

newhomebuilder- Thanks for your enthusism- that's just the way I feel too- come on DH let's get this started!

duluthinbloomz4- The Tudor's in your neighborhood sound lovely. I just wish this 1980's version I have were as well thought out as most earlier versions were.

mjlb- I do agree about the back not matching the front , but I really like the formality of the front :(
    That's why changing the back roof to a gabel makes more sense to me but I think your right about changing some of the details to make it less formal- good suggestion. I am definately going to check out "Get Your House Right: Architectural Elements to Use & Avoid by Marianne Cusato".

awm03- I checked out the windows and I do like them. If I end up not going with a full make over I will definately consider that style- thanks.

mclarke- I was planning to add a mudroom on the back of the garage that would have two windows and a door to the backyard. I didn't draw it in on this rushed mock up. If I hold off on the mudroom I may add windows for now.

Spitfire- I did consider a pergola at one time but then I planted some heavy shade loving shrubs and added a garden ornament for now. I may have to move a lot of this stuff if we do add the mudroom back there.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Not sure if I will have time to do any more mock ups tonight.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Don't worry about the back! The back of my house doesn't nearly have the character that my front has. I hate my back and have waged a campaign to do something about it. DH has so far not budged.

Don't change a thing to the "new" front.

I was thinking along the same lines as spitfire_01. A pergola would be so nice on your back.

• pinkpowertools
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Need Opinions-
    I am posting some other ideas I have come up with for adding curb appeal to my house. I decided to try a few versions that didn't change the original roof line as much except over the garage (we will be tearing off roof to add headroom to existing office and add windows to the front of house for light and balance). The original brick will stay in most 1st floor areas but I would like to paint it to match the upper body of the house which I plan to cover in Solid Stain Cedar shakes. All trim will be white Azek.

Similar to above version but without changing the original roof lines too much.

another version of same but with dormer style roof over garage instead of more gables. I also have a vesion with out small gable on the right.

This one doesn't add the large covered portico but rather a smaller metal seam slanted roof with brackets over the front steps. I think this has a different look (cottage, frech country ?)and I think using a more rustic cedar shake above the brick line of the original house would add nice character. The trim would still be Azek (white)

Here I added stone around front door and removed the little roof and brackets above front door.

This is what it would look like if I don't change the garage side for now.

• lacombe
    15 years ago

I really like the picture where you have the stone around the front door area, have you tried a picture where the stone keeps on going up to the second story,just to see how it looks.

• namabafo
    15 years ago

Without reading what you wrote, I liked the last one best. I don't like the 3 gables.

What is that grey patch over the top windows on the left? is that a bump-out with shingles? I find it a bit distracting

• mclarke
    15 years ago

Wow, you have been busy! It looks great!

I think I prefer the shed dormers to the doghouse dormers -- if only because it would give you a better layout inside the house.

I do think you need a portico over the front door, because otherwise the door gets lost.

Would it be possible to do a gabled portico over the front door, rather than a flat-roof?

• pinkpowertools
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lacombe - I didn't try stone all the way up because the second floor actually extends out about 18" above the front door.

namabafo- the grey patch is a bump out with a standing seam metal roof in a zinc or copper color. The bump out already exist but we were going to end it above windows instead of extending it to roof line which is the way it currently is.

mclarke- I think I like the shed dormers too and it will give more head room to that room.
    I tried a gabled portico but it doesn't work too well- the peak would interfere with the window above and the gabled roof would meet the left side of the house and create a bad area for leaves and water to collect.

I'm just having a hard time deciding if I like the more traditional version with the large front portico (everyone in my area seems to be adding a similar portico to their older houses) or the one that is a more rustic/cottage style (I am not sure what to call it).

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

If numbered top to bottom I like #3 - hands down the most appealing design IMO.

I'm assuming the grey rectangle over the upper windows in the left gable is a shed roof - yes?

Not crazy about the wainscoat type trim beneath the windows - I think that needs some tweaking to keep it in character with the rest of the elements. It's reading too formal to my eye but I'm sure there are ways to take it down a notch and be more casual (just don't ask me how!) It needs detail but not decoration if that makes sense - and I'd rather see that detail/interest coming from shadow lines more than anything else. So that means bumping up trim size, not necessarily adding foof. Foof. That's a technical term ;-)

I find the direction that #3 design is heading to be the most welcoming but that's really a subjective opinion. It's what I would choose for me, it's what I would be drawn to looking at homes. What are YOU drawn to?

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Oh yes, now that I look at the original picture of the front of the house, it does stick out more on the upper level.

• pinkpowertools
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like #3 I think because it seems like it fits the rest of the house but still makes enough improvements that give it the curb appeal it so desperately needs. I can't put my finger on what style I would call #3 which is why I am not sure how to address the bump outs other then putting brackets under the right one (there is another matching bump out on the side of the house) and brining the left bump out down further towards the ground. I guess I could remove them but they add extra floor space in each room.
    They could be covered in shingles to match the body of the house- I'll have to try that.

What do you think of adding stone just around the front door like #4 but keeping the metal slant roof on brackets to add shelter?

Do you like the idea of a solid stain rustic shingle on the upper half of the house?

I see the house as a color similar to what is shown in the mockups but should it be more of a taupe (not my favorite color) or grey (there are a lot of grey houses on my street)?

• sailormann
    15 years ago

This might be an option. If you were to use scalloped shingles for the top section of the central gable, and perhaps add the stone on the entrance it would look quite nice I think. Just about any colour is going to work nicely as along as it is somewhat muted - think "Farrow and Ball"ish stuff
    {{!gwi}}

• awm03
    15 years ago

Those are some nice refinements, sailormann. Is that a pergola over the lower right window?

The jagged roof line of the the 3 gables in pix #1 & #2 bothers my eye. They also have too much front facade and not enough roof showing. The other pictures have more roof showing, which gives a sheltering feeling and some texture to the overall design. I like #3 & #4 best with some of sailormann's window trim details. Just my $.02 worth.

• pinkpowertools
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sailorman- I have the same question about the treatment under the right gable window. Is that a pergola or did you add shingles to the bump out instead of the wainscot style panels? Also the left side of the front door- how would the top of that bump out be treated in your design? I was using a metal roof over that portion but I am open to anything.

Because the house sits on a hill you see different amounts of roof depending on where you stand. Hard to get a really good picture and capture the whole front so the photo I have been using to make these mockups is actually a stiched together panoramic I created in photoshop.

• sailormann
    15 years ago

The white section over the right gable is not really intended to be a pergola, although - depending on which room that is on the ground floor, a set of French doors leading out to a little garden with a pergola overhead would indeed be gorgeous... excellent idea !

I would not put anything on top of the large, central box bay. The upper slab needs to be angled slightly for run off but I think that the lines of the house are nice and clean without anything. It might look a little orphaned if you were to put the sloping metal pieces there unless you were to do it consistently everywhere else.

• bindersbee
    15 years ago

I'll say upfront that I'm a Landscape Architect and I frequently do 'curb appeal' consults. That's my 'bias'. I think the biggest barrier to curb appeal isn't the color etc. of the house but rather the complete lack of any sort of landscaping.

There's no plantings to 'anchor' the house to the setting or transition into the natural setting (which is nice). Some good foundation plantings with reliable and colorful shrubs and a few accent trees would work wonders.

The house feels oddly 'weighted'. The bump-outs are nice but they make the house feel like it's going to tip over because they are just hovering above the ground. Adding some foundation plantings will give the home some 'feet'. Lots less expensive to spruce up the yard than to reside the house (unless, of course, it is in the condition to require that expense).

I love the hardiplank look. When we have to redo our house someday (I hope a long way off!) we'll switch out from Stucco to Hardiplank.