SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reeree_natural

Squirrel/Chicory ..photoshoppers ..can you help?

reeree_natural
16 years ago

Hi..As I have admired all your past work, I would like to ask for your help..I was going to ask sooner, but just found these pictures in a old file, and had to put them in a new one... My problem is this green roof! It's not a bright green, it does have black mixed in (hard to see) If I could, I would get rid of it..but it is only 7 years old and expensive..so I can't (previous owners installed) I am soooo bored with the white and green shutters..the only color that I think I can go with is a light tan or cream..but then what color shutters and front door..for the door, I was either thinking a white french, or a wood door of some sort..any help will be appreciated (also we were thinking of a front porch, I am not sure if we should have railings, or keep it open with square posts) Thanks!!!

Ree

PS..we know the land scape has to go, I am going to do moss rock gardens, something very natural and soft looking

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (59)

• natal
    16 years ago

I think the green roof adds character to the house. So much more interesting than our weathered wood. ;)

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi redsox24!!
    yes! good memory..that is my little girls sitting room.. long ago, that was an open porch, there was a french door in her room and you can walk out. It had a white column on the outside corner. Someone way back enclosed it, probably the same time they enclosed the front porch..this house was always white from the 1800's.. so I guess everyone just kept it. we are the 4th family who lived here in all these years..it's pretty neat. thank you so much for all the nice compliments..I appreciate it very much..Ree

natal
    The green roof is beautiful in it's self..but It makes it very hard to pick color and trim ..thats what drives me nuts.. I am always attracted to green houses (light, sage/olive tones) and I also love tan with burgundy shutters and cream trim.. unfortunately the green roof holds me back from how I would really like it. We really can't rip it off..it is only 7 years old and the previous home owner had a full rip and spent 16K between material and labor..it is called the Grand Manor.. I think it's by certainteed if I am not mistaking. She got the idea from a gorgeous old house a few blocks away,,it is a grand house..takes your breath away. It is white, with green shutters and the same roof..but this house looks nothing like that one..she knocked on the door to find out what roof they had, so she really went out of her way to get it..the funny thing is, she moved around the block and put the same exact roof on her "new" house..she painted the body yellow and did green shutters..it looks nice on her house, but I am not into the yellow/green combo for my house..in time I will come up with a beautiful color combo, whats another 5 1/2 years..lol .. I do hope squirrel..chicory or another talented photoshopper see's this and is kind enough to use their talent on this old girl..lord knows I need them!..
    Ree

• Related Discussions

Help Improve My New Kitchen! Photoshoppers Welcome!

Q

Comments (14)
    Seems from the pics that the cabinets have a slightly pinkish cast -- is this accurate, or is it the pics? If it is the pinkish cast, I'd consider painting them, though I know that would be expensive or rather difficult (if you DIY). Agree on changing the hardware -- easy, nice fix. I think once you swap out the counter, it will make a big difference. If the home is historical, you may want a backsplash and overall look that is in keeping with the style/age of the home, but that's a very personal choice. Subway tile could look great, I'd think. Good luck.
    ...See More

Photoshoppers: could you help please?

Q

Comments (35)
    HI squirrel! Yes I do love the tile in Jodi's kitchen. It looks just perfect in her kitchen. But for some reason it does look busier in my kitchen but the colors seem nice. And did like that brick shape. It is important to me to have the backsplash make a statement and not hide in the background. But I do want to be able to do that without making it look too busy or too dark. The tones in Jodi's tiles appeals to me. The tile itself blends and flows well. And I thought the reddish glass picked up the red birch lowers. I do like stone tiles but find slate to be too dark and unpredictable. This quartz has that medium and clean tone I am looking for. I can't go too light of a tile as it will make my upper cabinets look dirty. So I need to go darker than the upper cabinets. So as you noticed I am still trying to figure out this backsplash. I did give up on it for awhile. The pictures I took of my kitchen does not due its justice. The cabinets are awesome and so beautiful especially the red birch. Good to have you back!
    ...See More

I cant do this alone! Photoshoppers,can you help fireplace...

Q

Comments (6)
    Your fireplace looks like mine. If it is a wood burning one (which I'm assuming it is because of the Durock), please make sure you read the specs for how high up your mantle has to be if it is combustible (wood). I had to change mine from a wood mantle to a stone mantle since I didn't want the huge amount of space inbetween the top of the fireplace opening and the bottom of the mantle that the specs called for. My ceiling is only 10 feet, so it wouldn't have left me with much space above a wood mantle since I also have a hearth. Also, if it is a wood burner, I don't know if you'd be able to use the legs on top of the Durock. The fireplace really does heat up a lot and you want to make sure you are safe. Sorry to throw this possible wrench in your selection process, but I'm sure you would want it done right.
    ...See More

Wall Art Help for Study/Home Office? Photoshoppers Please?

Q

Comments (18)
    Oh, squirrelheaven thank you so much for your photoshopping. I love the tapestries but I think I might like the arts and crafts tiles better. I agree that the lamp needs to show, and this may do it better. The wall is actually a bit bowed out in a nice little triple-type curve so the symmetrical look of the two chairs under the windows with the table in the center really works (rather than the table to the side). I will definitely look into these tiles. The people at this forum are fabulous, and very helpful. I think I need to learn how to photoshop.
    ...See More
  • mimi_2006
    16 years ago

Love your house ree, TONS of character there. We have a neighbor that has the green/black roof also. This isn't much help because theirs is painted white like yours but they have black shutters with a red door. I admire it everytime I drive by. I think your idea of the tan with white trim and red shutters might look good but I can understand how it's hard to imagine with the green roof. Can't wait to see what you decide!

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mimi
    awh..thank you so much! I have actually thought of just changing the shutters to black..but I guess I am looking for a new look that makes the house "pop" We were going to build out the bottom porch (on your left as you are looking at the picture) I want to make that into a library, it will give us more usable living space and it will be beautiful. From the out side, I wanted to put raised paneled walls under the almost floor to ceiling windows and paint that white to break the body color of the house (what ever that will be) we had a builder come and he said with the way the roof line is, it will be hard unless we build a open porch..so every time we turned around with a new plan, it was leading into a bigger project..it seems nothing is simple with this house and it becomes frustrating at times as much as we love it. It just has such good bones to work with, but it all takes time and money. I guess thats why we haven't done anything to the exterior except keep it clean and neat..but now it's starting to get to me and it's time.
    Thanks again for writing and kind words. Ree

• les917
    16 years ago

I would think a medium taupe would be very pretty with the green roof. I would then do the shutters in a much darker, almost black green, and the front door in eggplant.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nice! I like that! Thanks..Ree

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

I thought, for sure, Squirrel would be all over this.

I'm going to take some time to read through all the messages properly and then I'll see what I can do. : ) BRB.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Thank you Chicory!!! Very much appreciated! Ree
    PS..I need to learn how to do this.. what program do you use?

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

In these, I've just edited out (in a very preliminary way) some of the landscaping. I've left all the trim and guttering white, and I've "rebuilt" some of the parts of the house that were obscured by the bushes.

I painted the foundation charcoal/almost black, the shutters are black in all of these and I've also painted the storm door to match your front door. I didn't change the color.

Mind you, these are pretty rough, but if we can narrow down the colors a little bit, I can show you some landscaping and a prettied up version of the house.

Let me know what you like!

Some of the light greens are nearly exactly the same, but I was trying to see if any subtleties could be had... I don't think so, though.

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Oops, I didn't see your question. I use paint (the MS Windows basic), Photoshop Elements (to clean things up after editing and painting), and Benjamin Moore's paint viewer for painting the house.

I think Squirrel's "Squirrelly Colors" in her photo program work a little better than the paint viewer, but the BM-viewer works well enough.

• cattknap
    16 years ago

I love, love, love your house - but not the shutters - I think they detract from the beautiful window moldings and the authentic historic feel of the house. The shutters are not really working shutters or they would mounted inside the molding.

I actually like the house white - it seems right for the house. Being a flower person, I'd add more flowers. I like the roof.

Seriously, I'd take the shutters off and add more color in the yard - I think when you paint the house a more modern color like taupe, you detract from the historic quality of the house.

You have a gem - don't mess it up with inappropriate paint colors.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chicory
    oh.. Thank you for doing that so much! It looks sooo different with color.. changes the whole house! I like photo # 1, #3, #7 and #9.. The red door I am not crazy about and wanted to change it to a single "french door" in white.. does your program have porches? (sorry if I am asking too much) Thanks for all you've done. .it really helps me see the house in a different way. Our foundation on the sides are brick (painted white)..some one must of coated over them with cement..?? I have no clue in whats going on with that. Our thoughts were to get the white paint off the original brick, and then do a brick facing in the front where it was covered over (not a dark RED brick.. very muted, very old looking as that is the way our entire basement is as the house is being held up/supported with tree bodies. .very interesting to say the least.. lol Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to do this for me!!! Ree

catnap.. awh.. that was so nice! Thank you! I know what you mean by the "classic white" house.. I am just so bored with white and green.. I was even thinking of a very pale tan, just to bring the wide molding out.. where the bottom porch is on the side, I wanted to do white raised panel walls under the windows (once we changed them) I also love grills in the windows. .but these windows do not have the notches to put them in.. weird... The land scape, I love natural.. we were going to build it up a little higher and make a massive moss rock garden, with lavender, and other rock garden type flowers, evergreen ground cover etc. I did it on the side of the house.. in the summer when you stand in the back yard and look at the landscape bordering the brick patio and the house. .it is so pretty.. I also have to laugh that the sides and back are almost done.. and we didn't do a thing with the front.. but we weren't sure if we were building out the side, adding a porch etc.. so that has kept us on hold. Thanks again!!! Ree

• msrose
    16 years ago

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I just don't think anything, except the white, looks good with the green roof. I would like the shutters in black though.

Laurie

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chicory..I keep looking and I am leaning with liking 3#,,that tone or maybe a tadd lighter? Also, do you have a very light gray?? Thanks Ree

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

I think your house is perfect AS IS - new landscaping considered!! Your snow photo should be your Xmas card!! Gorgeous.

We have the most darling town LaGrange, TN. Beautiful country town with historic homes. White houses or red brick with green shutters. Classic.

Smiles:)

Here is a link that might be useful: bad photos but great info on Lagrange, TN

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

OK, 3, but lighter and a very light gray... coming right up.

Porches are iffy, but I could give it a shot - what are you thinking about doing?

I'll paint the bottom of the house the color of the brick sidewalk, just so you can get an idea... maybe a little redder?

Pick a couple siding colors and then I can start tinkering with the foundation and door. It's just easier to narrow down one paint selection at a time. : )

The white French door would be totally easy to do, BTW.

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

I too LOVE your WHITE house.. it's beautiful and I like the green roof! Looking at your house is one reason we left Florida and moved to TN... because I personally am bored with Florida's architectural designs. But.. here I am back in Florida, building a florida house and DROOLING Over yours! Love to see the inside of this home!

• nanmeade
    16 years ago

I'm liking #3.

• cattknap
    16 years ago

Please do consider taking the shutters off - they are just wrong for the house and detract from the historic integrity of the house.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laurie
    yes.. the white and green is a perfect match. .we have much nicer homes here that are more grand with this color combo and they look just gorgeous. .maybe once we do the rock gardens, it will give it the lift it desperately needs. .shutters in black may give it a more classic look instead of the green. We were going to buy the real wood shutters with the visible hinges to make it look more authentic .. the ones on there does nothing for the house as they are plastic, and the house is painted cedar shingle. catnap doesn't like the shutters at all..I can see her point, but with everything so white I am not too sure how it would look. Ree

johnatemp
    OMG!!! Gorgeous homes. .I want to move there! (smile) I can only imagine the beauty. .you are very lucky to live in such a beautiful town. Thank you so much for your compliments, you and everyone else have been so nice and I do appreciate everyone's honesty.. I guess when it's our own, we are our own worse critics.. we also live in a historic town.. the streets are lined with big beautiful trees and turn of the century homes ..each one different and one more beautiful and charming than the next, I think you all probably heard of it from movies and books.. "Amityville", NY ... anyway. .the snow picture we did use as a Christmas card a few years back.. that is one of my favorites.. thanks so much for writing! Ree

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chicory
    first, I want to thank you again for doing all this work..it is soooo nice of you! ok..I like #3 with just a hint of color..and believe it or not white with the black shutters.. that red door has to go( I have always disliked everything about it) honestly..what one do you like? any opinion?? Ree

• lynnski
    16 years ago

Is it possible to see the house without the shutters? I definitely think the shutters detract from the grand style of the house. The house has really interesting lines and unexpected quirkiness, and the sameness of every window makes it all look too much the same.

You are right that without the shutters the house would look blander at first--that's why you'd need a really beautiful porch across the entire front of the house, and possibly even wrapping around one side. It would be so beautiful to see a large porch with historically appropriate architectural detail, and that would take the eye away from the roof and down to where the family really lives.

Your home is beautiful, but right now it is not a balanced composition. You would do well to think about balance--not color--at this stage of the game.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tinker
    omg!! how sweet.. that was sooo nice! Thank you so much! I visit Florida a lot, lots of family down there..when I am there, sitting on your beautiful beaches, I do not want to come home! So you are building a new ho use?? How exciting! I am sure it will be just beautiful! How nice that must be to have brand new..all yours from day one..that can make me drool! I do have lots of photo's of the interior on this forum ..you can take a peek.. it's from posts a while back. Thanks again!!! Ree

Here is a link that might be useful: interior

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

ReeRee,
    I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear - I do not live there!! It is about 20 minutes away and we go thru that town on the way to the lake. I drool everytime!! I wanted to get married in that church.

It is a tiny town - no decent schools for kids or else I would be there!! We looked but having an only child, we needed to be around children.

Off subject - but here is a link to where we got married. It was for sale when we got married but again - too far out of town for us. Hindsight 20/20 - wish we would have done it!!

Your town sounds wonderful!
    Smiles:)

Here is a link that might be useful: mebane house - fayette county

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

johnatemp
    oh how charming! looks beautiful for a wedding! don't look back, you did what was right for your family..that is the most important decision we can make as parents. But I do know what you mean..we missed the boat on a few really nice old homes our selves before we bought this one... here in amityville, the school district stinks..we have two children and send them to catholic school the next town over, they are both in elementary and will go to a catholic HS as well...many times I have thought of moving because of this..but as strange as it might sound..it is so normal here..everyone does it..my kids cry if I tell them I would like to move..they are so use to this way of life here and they don't know anything else. I live on long island. We have a north fork, it's the very end of the island on the north side (hamptons is the south fork) any way..it is very country there..we go all the time and go to the farms..get fresh laid eggs, veggies etc., feed cows and the beaches are lovely and quiet. very peaceful and simple..but I am the only one who wants to go...lol so we shall see where the road brings us some day! until then..I will paint me house..lol! nice talking with you! Ree
    ps..Amityville is known for "The Amityville Horror" ever hear of it?? not great to be known for this one house..it's terrible!

• jjam
    16 years ago

Keep it white! You won't regret it or get tired of it, and I do think color would detract from the great lines it has. Stick will black or the deep charcoal gray on the shutters and work some magic with landscaping. I also think that the colors actually make the roof color stand out more.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks jjam! I see white is in favor here..you know when you see it everyday as to someone seeing it for the first time.. I always felt it looked so bland..have honestly pulled my hair out thinking how would it looking better, it is missing something..the landscape is is hideous ..does nothing for the house at all..we never planned to leave it, but didn't want to start ripping it out with out a plan to follow...starting to see the light.. I think a porch will really help too..I guess we will see! Ree

• justgotabme
    16 years ago

I see you are thinking of keeping the white, but here's another combo that for me has stood the test of time.
    Below is our previous home that was a buttery yellow for fifteen years. The trim was a soft country blue for a few years until five new homes in our area copied it. I took it as a compliment, but still changed ours to a sage green.

{{!gwi}}

Below is our current home of four years. We never tired of the buttery yellow so choose it again for our Victorian Style home only adding deep blue scale siding in the gables. The shutters and gable trim are just virtuals. They'll be added at a later date only less elaborate gingerbread now that I've "seen" this type.

{{!gwi}}

The main part of your home could easily take a buttery yellow with green shutters and possibly a blue door as an accent color. I only had a trial program, or I would have done your home in these colors. Hopefully chicory will do one for you.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

The house should be white. I agree about taking shutters off. The colors on a gingerbread and a 1960s split level have nothing to do with this house. I would keep this house as near to its historical roots as I could. It will be destroyed as far as its historical and monetary value by adding contemporary or gingerbread colors.

I would advise you to get in touch with your historical society who specializes in what goes with each house and the colors and how the house was intended to look at its inception. Otherwise, you do not only yourself and your house, a disservice, but the whole historical movement. Flame me, flame me, but but but but --- I think you will regret dinking around with its period flavor.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi again.. did you give up?? lol! I do appreciate what you have done for me.. makes me see the house as I always just tried to imagine it, which was hard.. my favorites are the very light gray, and believe it or not. .I like it white with the black shutters. .I think once those horrible old bushes are pulled and I do a rock garden, it will be a huge improvement..my color flowers are purple/ lavender..I planted a lot of lavender in between moss rocks on the side..looks beautiful (not now as there is no color left) I also added lambs ear around the front border, Russian sage towards the corner etc..I am looking to do that in the front, just on a much larger scale. As far as the porch, I would like to see an open one with square posts and a traditional one with the railing..even though I think an open porch will be better..if you can work your magic with the garden and french door, that would be great..if the porch is difficult, don't go crazy..I appreciate what you have done already..you really helped me out. Ree

• patricianat
    16 years ago

A rock garden in this beautiful landscape and property, with this beautiful period home. Please, please, please try to put some thought and love into the landscape by taking out the overgrown plants and after you have been to the library and done some consultation with historic garden restorers or your historical gardeners in your area. They are in every area. Please do that for this house.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

justgotabme
    Thank you for sharing your pictures.. your new home is just beautiful! I think light yellow and blue is a very nice combo..but with a green roof, that wouldn't work for us, as it looks great on your house. thanks for sharing! Enjoy your new home!!! Ree

patricia43
    We have pictures back from the original owner. Our historical society gave us copies. Back in the 1800's, it was natural cedar, no shutters on the top windows , and an enclosed porch with beautiful Victorian wood work on the porch windows. .sadly, it isn't there anymore. .who ever it was, made the front room, I guess it was their parlor, bigger, and added the two bottom windows.. they all ready took the original elements that made this house so much more charming out. After some time, very early 1900's , the house was also painted white, it had a charcoal/gray roof. .not sure if there were shutters or not. When the previous owners bought this house, they put the green roof & shutters on. .also painted the pediment dark green around the door as well and the wood stair way in the front ..we stripped all the green off the pediment and stairs, as we felt it was too much and we made the pediment white, and the stairs are very light gray and white which is historically correct for "porches". I really do not like the house in the darker tones.. it does nothing for it. .but it was good to see.. I do like the pale gray , and white with black shutters. .I know some do not like the shutters, but I think it will look "naked" without them especially since every thing is all white. .Maybe Chicory can do one with out shutters and leave the house white.. And we can go from there.
    Thanks for all your honest input Patricia, I do appreciate it from you and everyone else.. it really does help a lot! Ree

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

patricia
    another great thought! Thank you! I have books on 'victorian gardening" I haven't read them in a few years now.. I will have to dig them out of the attic
    Ree

• justgotabme
    16 years ago

Ree, you must have missed my message at the end about yours needing green shutters. I went ahead and did a somewhat lousy virtual, but I think you can kind of tell what I was going for. I did decide that a lighter green than you shutters would look better than the blue that I thought might work. I added a few corbels, copied, flipped and pasted your side porch roof over the front too. Lightened the foundation to match the sidewalk. I nice pebble overlay might be a possiblitly to add some interest if it won't be covered by future landscaping.
    A larger porch, as you've mentioned you'd like would also add curb appeal to your home. I'd have tried to do that too, but I should have been off my computer over an hour ago! I have some real painting to do. :) Hopefully I'll be back to share pictures if all goes as planned on my project.
    Anyway here's what I did. Like I said not the best, but all I could do with the program I own.....

{{!gwi}}

• natal
    16 years ago

Patricia, while I understand maintaining the historical significance of a house, keep in mind that this is also a home. It's not a museum of time past open to the public. The homeowner should feel comfortable putting her own stamp on it and that includes landscaping.

I'll admit that the darker colors don't do a thing for the house. The white is nice, but I can understand how it would get boring after living with it for years.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

You deserve this house and it you. My son (the architect/urban designer) and wife are instrumental in restoration of historic buildings and homes in their area and have caused me to take an interest in historic landscaping, plants, etc., and I have learned so much from them, even at my age. I love all the old buildings and homes, and they have brought a lot of that to life for me. They would adore your home.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

justgotabme
    Thanks for taking the time to help me with ideas..I like the portico.. not hot on yellow & green (on this house) I hear ya..I have been on here all day..lol too long myself..happy painting! Ree

Patricia
    I do understand where you are coming from..when people love old houses (including me) we do like to see them keep their integrity .. I worked in our historical society a few years back, my friend was the president at the time and I learned a lot. In this house we still have a lot of the original moldings, plaster, bedroom doors and staircase, but the rest has been up dated to fit our needs today. I agree, white is probably the best match, but I was longing to give it a subtle lift. I admire your son and wife in what they do..the rewards are never ending..you and your family will enjoy this link.. as it is a restored house built in 1690... Ree

Here is a link that might be useful: restored 1690's house

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi..just a quick up date..I showed my husband Chicory's work (thanks again) He was amazed how different the house looked with different colors. We both decided we will either go with one of these two..either the very pale gray, or keep the white and change the shutters to black (or) a dark charcoal... with new landscape, it will look so much better..I am a huge purple/lavender/green fan and I think those colors with look good with the light gray, or the white. We will decide on the porch down the road depending if we will build out the bottom porch. Thanks again to everyone who helped and gave their opinions, much appreciated! Ree

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• natal
    16 years ago

Ree, had to smile at the kitchen in your link. We have a friend who bought an old overseer's cottage and had it moved to his country property. During restoration he added a kitchen and laundry room. The kitchen strongly resembles the one in your link. Everything is lined up against one wall. It's a very inefficient use of space, but then he's more interested in the historical look than cooking, lol.

Come back and show us your landscaping next year.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

natal
    our kitchen cabinets is "L" shaped. you can't see the other half in the photo. I didn't do the lay out as I would of never put the stove at the end like that. We want to re do the entire kitchen one day, but since it is fairly on the new side we are going to live with it for a while. We bought all the appliances ..when we moved in, they were all white and stuck out like a sore thumb. I have cabinets picked out that would fit this house to a "T" I am in love (smile)

Come spring, we are doing a lot on the out sideÂ.I still have to make a decision about the house color whether to leave it white or not. .what do you think? I have been trying most of the day to get my own photo shop going so I can do it my selfÂ.I never worked with the program before and having a hard time understanding how it works.. Wish me luck! Thanks for everything ! Ree

• natal
    16 years ago

Ree, I was referring to the kitchen in the real estate ad that you linked. Sorry for the confusion.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

natal
    Oh..LOL! I am sorry. .I misunderstood. .I put a link to an old posting that had my interior pictures.. sorry! I'll tell you. .that house is incredible...they decorated it to sell it.. it really felt like you stepped back in time. I doubt anyone would live so museum like, actually I think they should keep it like that and don't sell it.. they did such a good job. sorry again! Ree

• msrose
    16 years ago

I had another thought. What if you went with a shutter that was a much deeper green, maybe even a blackish green? I'm not crazy about the color of green that's on there now, but the green does tie in nicely with the roof color.

Laurie

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

I just want to say that your house is in my "top 3." Your sense of style is incredible. The interior of your home is simply beautiful. I wish you would come around more often and contribute your input on the forum: I think you have a lot to offer.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laurie
    Thanks for your help. There is a color out there, it is a blackish green, I have seen it somewhere in the past and remember thinking of the shuttersÂif only I could remember where I saw it (smile) time to hit the paint charts! I never liked the shutters, or the color.. Long ago we were going to paint them, but they are vinyl ..so we left them alone. We are changing them to wood, more historically fit, with the hardware (hinges & pintels and tie backs) also known as shutter Âjewelry We are going to have a busy spring! Thanks again! Ree

Organic smallhome
    Omg! That was the nicest compliment everÂthank you so much! We are still working, changing things here and there.. it all takes time and I am my own worse critic. I was going to call in a professional designer for help. I do post on this forum, I really do love it here.. I did start over in cleaning tipsÂI am sure we have posted to each other in the past??? I will be around here more .
    Thanks again for your huge compliment, thatÂs was incredibly nice! Ree

Here is a link that might be useful: shutters

• natal
    16 years ago

Ree, look at BM's Black Forest Green.

• les917
    16 years ago

Natal, that is a great paint color suggestion - I think it will be much more interesting having a black green there than just black.

I would love to see the front door in a deep eggplant or purple. Look at BM Plum Royale, Tulsa Twilight, Deep Mulberry, Bordeaux Red, Grappa, Wood Violet or Blackberry Wine.

I think doing the house in a grey would be lovely, but if you do it too light, I am not sure that you will really feel the change. Perhaps you are better off leaving it white, changing the shutters and door. Get some softer and more varied plantings, things that add some burgundy and purple tones in the florals and leaves, and get rid of the bulky bushes especially the one by the porch.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

les..and Natal
    Thanks for helping , and the color suggestions. I am going to go Monday and look at the swatches you recommend :) I think I will paint the door , no need to wait until springÂ.

The landscape. .that is the most hideous part of this house! My plans are a moss rock garden, I did it on the side of the house and it came out really pretty. I use a mixture of rock sizes ranging from a 450lb , to a 20lb rock. In between, I planted lots of lavender, mixed with a yellow flower rock/ground cover (blank with the name right now) I also have ever green ground cover and lambs ear.. It looks very natural and has a lot of interest with the different sizes and shapes of the rock & plants. (itÂs also on a slight slope which created different height to the garden area.) I want to do the same in the front, pull it out more on a larger scale, with a bigger selection of plants. Hopefully is will give the house the boost it needsÂ.

Everyone on here is so nice and helpful ..and honest. I just want to say thank you again, I appreciate all of you taking the time to help and share. I will let you know how I make out with the paint swatches thanks again! Ree

• leahcate
    16 years ago

Just a quick, blunt response: My initial reaction to the pics of your home...A soft sigh of appreciation for this beautiful old home. Chicory's work is always great, but this time the added colors suddenly turned the home into ordinary, IMO. I love shutters, but they seem to diminish the house, somehow, and, again, take it down to ordinary. I do so understand becoming bored and wanting change.New landscaping instead, perhaps? Maybe, just maybe,it could be a very pale gray if you must paint it, but oh how it shines in WHITE!

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

leahcate
    thank you for sharing! I think we definitely keeping it white! You are 100% right.. ..adding color does take away from this house.. does nothing for it. I do appreciate ChicoryÂs time and talent that she took to do this for me, whether she knows it or not, she was a HUGE help as she allowed me to see how it would look with color, but the most important thingÂ.she helped me appreciate what we have. (Thanks so very much Chic!!) To everyone else who lovingly helped, I want to thank you big time ! Without you , I wouldnÂt of made the right decision and would have had major regrets. Through your eyes I finally saw what you did. You were all a huge influence in helping me make the right decision. Your compliments were incredibly nice and up lifting.. you guys are great as you really lifted my spirits and helped me appreciate what we have also. Thank you again!!!

I will find a new shutter and door color. The landscape will be done this spring. I am looking for my own photo shop program, so I can learn and use it to visually see different colors for the door and shutterÂs , different landscape etc.. as this will really help me in making the right decisionÂ. (again) I will keep all of you posted . When (and if) I learn to do photo shop, I will put up picturesÂ

Thanks once again to all of you!!!
    ((((((hugs))))))
    Ree