SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iwantakitchen_gw

Photoshoppers: could you help please?

iwantakitchen
15 years ago

There is a tile that I like and would love to see it photoshopped into my backsplash. I am planning on getting a hold of the tile maker about a sample as I am not able to get it locally, but did not want to do it if I think it will look too busy. Thank you so much!

http://www.jeffreycourt.com/content_p_pietra.asp?ContentId=225

It is the Brick Quartz Fire and Ice on the right side of the page.

Comments (35)

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to put my kitchen picture in!!

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago
  • Related Discussions

Photoshopper's need your help, please!

Q

Comments (40)
    Lindy, You have done an awesome job. I showed the pic to our contractor and he used it to start doing the brick facing on the new posts. I think we have decided to do a gate in the fence on the right to go into the back yard. May be what we need to get that side yard done. Do you have the Burgundy color? I need to put that down on my paint proposal form. I will post new pics when the posts are done. Thanks, Laura
    ...See More

Any bores Photoshoppers out there? Need exterior help!

Q

Comments (5)
    Oh sure Squirrel, breeze by and blow up a picture but you won't come out and play? Just giving you a hard time..tee hee! It was pretty blurry to work on but it came out okay I guess. If those windows are easily accesible from inside, I would do metal window boxes. I soooo wanted these for my house but my window wasn't within reach. I also put some of your stone (blurry) around the window for accents. I think I'd keep the shingle on the far left and over the garage but maybe it needs replacing???
    ...See More

Wall Art Help for Study/Home Office? Photoshoppers Please?

Q

Comments (18)
    Oh, squirrelheaven thank you so much for your photoshopping. I love the tapestries but I think I might like the arts and crafts tiles better. I agree that the lamp needs to show, and this may do it better. The wall is actually a bit bowed out in a nice little triple-type curve so the symmetrical look of the two chairs under the windows with the table in the center really works (rather than the table to the side). I will definitely look into these tiles. The people at this forum are fabulous, and very helpful. I think I need to learn how to photoshop.
    ...See More

Please Photoshoppers, Is this possible?

Q

Comments (15)
    nalcar that's outstanding! You photoshoppers are somethin' else - what would we do without you? I hope you all know how much easier you make it to financially commit to the ideas we have in our heads. Mille grazie!!
    ...See More
  • iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

In case this does not get photoshopped I would still love opinions on this tile for the backsplash. I do like the brick idea.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I was snooping around the kitchen forum yesterday and saw Jodi's tile. Thought it was drop-dead gorgeous!

Made me wish I had deep pockets and a granite with less movement than mine.

I don't see why it would be too busy in your kitchen.

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I loved the look too. Here is my countertop:

http://www.lghi-macs.com/tiles-preview/g01.html

Would this countertop be considered little movement and I could get away with this tile?

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

I will try to pluck some tiles out of my kitchen photos or the Jeffrey Court website and Photoshop them into your kitchen. Probably won't be until later today though.

Jodi-

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Jodi!

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

I'm not sure how helpful this will be. I didn't have any good straight-on shots of my backsplash and what I did have had way too many shadows. I took this off the one photo I could find on the Jeffrey Court site.

If I could get a simple straight on shot of the product without any shadows, the mock-up would come out a lot better.

I took the tile all the way out to the edge on the right side because I think that's what you might have to do because of the outlet there.

Just out of curiosity, how many inches is it from the counter to the bottom of the cabinets? It seems more than the standard 18"-20"

{{!gwi}}

Jodi-

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

To me, your countertop reads as a solid. The particles are small. Is your countertop as dark as in the pic you linked to? Just curious, because in the pics of your kitchen it looks a lot lighter. It is very neutral, so I think a lot would go with it. I think you may have come to the point of "analysis paralysis", lol! We've all been there! I would take a sample of your countertop and go to a good tile store and see what they come up with. In jodi's ps, the backsplash looks fine. I don't see a problem with it blending. IRL it will look different, so see if you can find a store that has it.

• hilltop_gw
    15 years ago

I think the tile works well for jodi because it makes the cabinets "pop" and the black countertop grounds it. Since both her upper & lower cabinets are the same & her countertop is dark, the tile becomes the focus.

From the photoshop picture, I don't think it works so well in your situation. You've got 2 different cabinet colors (light uppers and darker below), and a 3rd countertop color. Plus there are the different shaped glass fronts in various locations. When looking I'm not sure which color or shape to pick out from the tile & the eye kind of bounces around. Sorry, just an opinion and probably not what you wanted to hear. I just think there might be something better that could tie it all together.

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jodi, thank you so much for doing that! It really helps to visualize. I do wonder if it may be too busy for me. I am going to look at this picture alot to decide. I am hoping to get a sample. The backsplash is 17 3/4" high.

kmcg85- yes the countertop does have the shade the link has. It has black specks in it. The specks are small.

hilltop- I DO want to hear all opinions, so thank you. I don't get hurt by them I consider all that is being said as it gives me things to think about. You stated:

"When looking I'm not sure which color or shape to pick out from the tile & the eye kind of bounces around"

I did get this feeling of busy when I saw the picture.

Sure would love some ideas on what color and shape would tie all of my elements together. I though about a bigger brick also for shape like the 2 x 4 or 3 x 6 size.

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

More thoughts:
    Is it possible that I should go a 4x4 tile so it is square like the glass in the cabinets?

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

IWAK, when you get your sample...

- Take a picture of it outside with no shadows. If you get more than one sample sheet, take a picture of all of them.

- Then take a picture of it leaning against the backsplash area (this is for color reference).

- Then take another, higher quality photo of your kitchen, maybe step back a little when taking it so there is a bit more kitchen in the photo.

Once that is done, I will Photoshop the backsplash back in. Do not reduce the size of the photo, just contact me via my profile page and I will send you my address to email the photo.

Jodi-

• lyfia
    15 years ago

iwantakitchen, I think you need to pick a backsplash that incorporates some of the cream/white and goes well with your lower cabinets too. I like brick pattern or on the diagonal. Maybe something in a tone that goes with the lower cabinets and then have the cream/white in accent tiles or a thin border to break up the pattern.

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Jodi. I talked to the girl at the tile shop and she is going to talk to her boss and see if he is willing to get a sample. I won't know for a week or 2.

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jodi-just picked up my tile sample Fri but it is the wrong one. They sent me the jeffrey Court SLATE Fire and Ice instead of the QUARTZ fire and ice. So now I will need to take this back and have them order the correct one. It took a long time to get this one.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Darn, it's always something isn't it? I'll be here when it finally arrives.

Jodi-

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Does Hilltop have a point about the tile. If you look at the picture above that Jodi did for me with the tile notice the shape of the tile. It is long narrow brick. What was pointed out to me was the glass shape in the upper cabinets. Too many shapes?

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow I never expected this.

I let the tile place know they ordered the wrong sample and was hoping they could order the right one. I became very uncomfortable when they basically gave me the impression that they don't really want to order the right one unless I am pretty committed to it. Well I am not committed as I need to see the sample in person. They are a distributor so I can't just go to a regular tile store in town to ask for it as they would get it from the same distributor. UGHHH.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

We got our Fire & Ice 12"x12" sample from the gal we got our wood flooring from. Go check out smaller design shops, places that sell flooring, granite and tile. Often you can check a tile out to take home and see how it looks. Of course they would like you to order through them but you don't have to. We got a pretty good deal going through our gal when we decided to buy.

Jodi-

P.S. yes, I think Hilltop has a valid point.

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have other stores in town that carry tile but none of them carry this sample. When they don't have a sample they try to get it thru the distributor that I went to.

I thought Hilltop had a point too but I found out you can get the tile in 2" x 2" mosaic also. But I was really attracted to the brick so would like to see both.

http://www.jeffreycourt.com/content_p_pietra.asp?ContentId=227

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

the wrong sample they got for me was the very bottom one left side. The SLATE brick fire and ice. It is much darker.

http://www.jeffreycourt.com/content_p_pietra.asp?ContentId=227

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

How about installing the Fire & Ice brick vertically? I did that in a very small area (niche behind the cooktop) and it works well I think.

If I get the time tonight I'll take the sample photo from the Jeffrey Court site you posted above (I had not seen that one before) and try to Photoshop the brick vertically instead of horizontally. I think it will match the vertical lines in your cabinets better. Or at least be a bit less competing.

Jodi-

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's an interesting idea. Would love to see it. Never thought of that. I would also be interested in seeing what the 2 x 2 's look like. My concern with the 2 x 2 is it may look busy but then again it may not as the tiles are all soft and blend well together . Not like light and darks popping out all over, which to me makes it look really busy.
    Thanks so much Jodi.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Here you go...

Vertical Fire and Ice

{{!gwi}}

Squares

{{!gwi}}

Jodi-

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you Jodi! I need to learn photoshop some day. It sure does help.

What do you all think of the 3 different shapes of the tile? Does one shape seem more fitting with the cabinets and glass doors? Or do you not think it matters?

DH says it is too busy of a tile. I am still debating.

Jodi, one of the questions I have about the glass inserts do you find them reflecting, shiny?

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oops I meant to mention that I do have undercounter lights so that may reflect glass more?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Hi WantaKitchen : ) I do love Jodi's beautiful and striking kitchen (and home :) I do think the style of this tile is in conflict with your kitchen though. It's also too busy for the calm feel you've been striving for, and quite different from your inspiration pics.

I'd do a quiet traditional porcelain with your counter material, rather than a stone. I'd also let the cabinetry and English teapot collection be the star, and follow its traditional lead.

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI squirrel! Yes I do love the tile in Jodi's kitchen. It looks just perfect in her kitchen. But for some reason it does look busier in my kitchen but the colors seem nice. And did like that brick shape.

It is important to me to have the backsplash make a statement and not hide in the background. But I do want to be able to do that without making it look too busy or too dark. The tones in Jodi's tiles appeals to me. The tile itself blends and flows well. And I thought the reddish glass picked up the red birch lowers. I do like stone tiles but find slate to be too dark and unpredictable. This quartz has that medium and clean tone I am looking for. I can't go too light of a tile as it will make my upper cabinets look dirty. So I need to go darker than the upper cabinets.

So as you noticed I am still trying to figure out this backsplash. I did give up on it for awhile.

The pictures I took of my kitchen does not due its justice. The cabinets are awesome and so beautiful especially the red birch.

Good to have you back!

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh I forgot to mention the teapots. I just have 2 interesting small ones, 1 coffee shape one and 2 single serving teapots. Nothing matches, all different styles. One has a ship, 2 have flowers, i plain dark blue one and a yellow one. so I probably would not be able to use them as a focal point. All but 2 were gifts.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

What a fabulous tile site (Jeffrey Court). I so love tile and clay. Did you look at his classics collection? The first one that came up actually is similar to one we did that you liked a lot. Has a liner strip of stone-like small mosaics and some decorative accents. Even a carved decorative liner added. Restful and interesting -- makes a statement in my book : )

Just skimming through a few, there are a variety of colors that would contrast enough with your cabs for the contrast you're looking for.

Beautiful tiles.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Lots of stuff that could work for you! I'm seeing your counter tones, as well. No one can know what's right for you, but I'd go through that site really well.

Here's another example, linked.

I'm going back to do some window shopping! Yum!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Boards

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

IWAK, here is one of the tile sets SH linked to:

{{!gwi}}

It would really help if you could take a better quality photo of your kitchen. The angle is fine and works well I think helping you visualize, but the quality of the actual photo is so poor it really doesn't show off your kitchen or offer the true colors I'm sure. If you do take another photo, make sure the counters are clear of accessories, it makes my job a bit easier and do not resize the photo before you send it to me. I will take care of that.

Contact me through my profile page if you don't have my email address.

Jodi-

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good morning!
    Squirrel-I have been looking thru the tiles on the site. There are some nice tiles in there.

Jodi-thanks for doing the other tile! Your tile in the 2 x 2 stands out more for me than the one above because it has color. People who have seen my kitchen says it is so beautiful but boring because it lacks color.

I live in the midwest (north) where stone, flowers, wildlife, woods, water, nature, and bringing in the outdoors is the norm.

I don't know if I can get a much better picture with this camera but I can try.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

IWAK, meant to answer your question about the glass pieces and undercab lighting...

Our undercab lighting (xenon) doesn't really accentuate the glass pieces but then we don't have a lot of them. Taking a good photo of the backsplash however is very difficult with the glass pieces.

RE: a new photo. If you can, set the resolution (quality) of your photos as high as you can before you take the photos. This will decrease the number of photos you can take but once you take them, you can move them off your camera and lower the res again.

Jodi-