SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Help with floor plan - change keeping room to kitchen or dining?

juddgirl2
9 years ago

I'd appreciate feedback on my modifications to the Southern Living Tallaway plan. We'll be building a country/farmhouse style home on 22 acres that perked for a 5 bedroom. We prefer one story living but plan on building a 1 1/2 story to meet the HOA's minimum sf while saving costs by building up instead of out, and also because we love the look of 2 stories.

So, I've been looking at plans that will allow for 1-2 bedrooms and an office on the main floor with extra bedrooms and bonus space upstairs for the kids and visiting family. The Tallaway plan seems like it could work with some modifications.

My main question is what do you think about the changes I made to the keeping/kitchen/dining rooms? We don't need two living spaces so close together or a formal dining room. The kitchen is very important to me though, since that's pretty much where our family lives most of the time!

Option A changes the keeping room to dining and Option B changes the keeping room to the kitchen, with the dining space in the existing kitchen. Either plan should accommodate my 9 ft (12 ft extended) farm table.

Option A - I like the idea of having the kitchen in the middle of the dining and family rooms. Also, it would be lovely to have a fireplace in the dining room! I am wondering though if there are enough cabinets in this plan - it's hard to tell. I have a lot of cabinets in my current kitchen and love the extra storage for my baking/cooking/and serving dishes.

Option B - putting the kitchen in the keeping room area might allow for more cabinet space and also bring windows into the kitchen. It might also help keep kitchen noise and mess out of the family room. We"d have to lose the fireplace though and I'm not sure if I prefer the dining room in the middle.

Existing First Level:

Option A First Level:

Option B Second Level:

Second Level:

Existing Exterior Elevation:

Comments (15)