SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
susanka_gw

How would you redo this hallway/laundry room? (Pics)

susanka
12 years ago

Hi, everyone. I need some creative ideas about how to make our little laundry space more attractive and fit a mud room into it. Our so-called "laundry room" is at the corner of the hall from the dining area to the back door. We have no mud room. DH sits on the little green stool to take off his shoes; not much room there. The laundry room section of the hall leads to the powder room, so guests have to go through here all the time. The long hall is 8'3" long by 42" wide. The laundry room section is 5' 10" long by 61" wide (from back of W/D to wall where the little seat is.)

We're open to any suggestions about how to make this into a laundry/mud room with as attractive an appearance as possible, including buying new appliances. We're thinking we'll get front loader stacked W/D for starters. DH would like to move the W/D to the walkout basement, leaving hookups here too, but a realtor friend says that's a very bad idea since we think we'll be selling the house in about 7 years. We're stuck; just can't think what the heck to do. Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

Comments (22)

• teacats
    12 years ago

There are several options that would add to this area:

1)Although I do think that if you plan to live in the house for the next seven years -- you should move the laundry room to the best place possible for you and your family ... in the walkout basement. Add a utility sink -- and storage for laundry items -- like a row of full-length cabinets. Front-loaders would allow you to add a counter above the units too. Hang a run of shorter cabinets above the units with a clothing rail.

1a) IF you choose to move the whole thing -- then you could use the space here for an extra storage closet -- adding shelving (which would leave the hookups in place too) and doors.

1b)OR create a "locker room" in that spot -- with shorter cabinets near the ceiling that run the length of the area -- with a hanging rod for clothing below it. And then a long bench underneath for your DH to sit and take off his boots. The bench could open at the top -- or have storage drawers that could pull out. You could hide the whole area with a stury curtain rod and good thick curtains -- maybe in lined burlap-type or linen/cotton striped material.

2)IF you leave the laundry area in its current place -- then do replace the units with front loaders. Add short cabinets along the top (use every vertical inch of space) and add a counter above the front loaders. Add a long thin bench along the blank wall.

2a)Or even stackers -- and add a utility sink beside them. Add storage cabinets above the front loaders. OR you could add a long cabinet beside the stackers for more storage too.

2b)If you leave the laundry area here -- then you could simply add doors or a curtain to hide the area -- for now. Even a bamboo blind that you could leave rolled up for everyday use ... and drop down when guests are visiting.

As for the powder room -- paint and add a cabinet above the toilet. Storage (especially closed storage) is so handy in this area!

Just some thoughts! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I think your laundry area is cute as is. More importantly, how do you want the area to function? Do you want storage? If so, for what? Obviously you need some sort of seating area for your husband to remove his shoes. Why do you want to move the washer and dryer to the walkout basement? Will that add functionality for this space and/or the potential new laundry room space? Certainly a new washer and dryer (the new matched front-loading types) can really make any laundry area look updated and beautiful.

Here are just some ideas.

Consider doing a stackable washer and dryer. This will free up some space to allow further storage and functionality. Make certain you are comfortable using the stackable washer and dryer (I've been considering it but am a little concerned whether the bending over for the washer will bother me).

If you do a stackable washer and dryer, consider putting them where the dryer is now. Then use the space on the right for storage. If you need a lot of coat/purse/etc storage, consider storage lockers. If not, maybe some cabinetry with drawers or cabinets underneath and a nice laundry folding countertop on top. Include upper cabinets or hooks or open shelves above. Also add a vertical cabinet (maybe just a slot) for the ironing board.

Consider replacing the plastic stool with a nice furniture bench. Here is a cute bench from Pottery Barn that would have room for shoes underneath and is fairly shallow.
    {{!gwi}}
    Here is one from Crate and Barrel that might go well with the lighter wood I see in your home.

If you do decide to move the washer and dryer to the basement, make certain each space is well defined and has value. If you do move the washer and dryer to the basement, make this area a true mud room. Add storage and benches. Here is a seating and storage combination from Pottery Barn that would fit well where the washer and dryer are now if you move them to the basement.
    {{!gwi}}
    Then consider making the potential laundry room in the basement larger and very functional. Include dirty laundry storage space and room for folding and ironing. Also add in a sink for washing delicates.

• Related Discussions

If you had a laundry room...what would be its decor theme?

Q

Comments (59)
    I have laundry closets, one on the bottom floor and one on the top. The top is a stackable so there's no room for decor. I wish I'd have made that room just a tad bigger so I didn't have to keep laundry soap in the adjoining bathroom (it's in a huge glass container though and everyone thinks I dropped a fortune on bath salts to fill it heh heh). If I ever have a real room dedicated to laundry I'd do antique butlers pantry as my look. Painted cabinets, marble counters, laundry machines hidden behind cabinets, beautiful lighting, a huge fold and storge area....heaven in the laundry....and I'd like a full time maid to stand there and deal with the laundry as well...as long as we're dreaming! My lower closet is in our family room. I painted the walls in a soft cream and the cabinets in a color called patince (a very soft yellow). It has my giraffe door handles for access, and the doors are painted in metalic chalkboard.
    ...See More

Laundry Room and Desk Redo pics (warning scary)

Q

Comments (24)
    Great job, it looks really nice! All of it ;) The fabric on the chair, may I ask where you found it? I have an old chair that I want to refinish and put new fabric on, and for the room I want to use it in that fabric would be ideal ;)
    ...See More

Room Swap - What would you do? (pics)

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you all.. and funny, I consider this a "newish" house. It is definitely newer than the majority of homes I've lived in. I am still getting used to the small space (and close neighbors) but it has charm :) I really appreciate your suggestion to use the "happy space" for my office. That is what I was thinking when I originally set up the office in there. Unfortunately, the small bedroom is not nearly big enough for my bedroom.. or bunk beds. It is an over the garage room and it has sharp angles that what can go on each wall. It has one longer wall that would accomodate my table/desk. I have a queen size bed without a headboard under one of the eaves now. Truth is an adult wouldn't likely be comfortable sleeping there under the wall... it is ok for the younger kids though. I usually give up my bed when the older kids sleep here. What I should probably share too (because I know it sounds odd that I am working around nieces and nephews). I moved back to my hometown so that I could spend more time with the kids, my parents and my grandparents. My oldest nephew goes to college this year-- and I've lived out of state for many years. I am very different than my siblings and I think it is important that kids are influenced by lots of kinds of people-- even my kind hahah. We watch movies.. and draw.. and paint.. and talk about silly things and serious things.. and it is good for all of us. Keeps me young and them well rounded. I feel good about helping to shape young lives. Thank you all for your thoughts.. and for the compliments. My home is so much more modest than many of yours but it does have its charms... and it's home!
    ...See More

Oddball bath/laundry room shape - what would you do?

Q

Comments (23)
    jslazart - one reason is we would lose the existing (valuable if small) storage space at the end of the shower (it's not in the sketch, but it's counter height, maybe 15 inches deep, as wide as the shower) - unless we got a really small bathtub. (that shower space actually once had a tub/shower but it was pulled out before my time). our purpose is to add a good bathtub upstairs and bring the washer/dryer up from the basement (exterior access only) without breaking the bank. on another note, i'm interested in people's takes on oval tubs (no jets needed!) - is it worth the extra space needed?
    ...See More
  • susanka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

teacats and pricklypearcactus, you both made me think. How much storage do we need, and what for? It's only DH and I; what we really need is a place for him to hang his jackets when he gets in from work, a place for my purse, and storage for laundry items. While I like the idea of a big laundry room in the basement, it would mean carrying loads of laundry up and down 16 stairs. I thought asking guests to traipse through a laundry room enroute to the bathroom just isn't very cool, but maybe we can spiff it up enough that it will be okay. We'd been worried that trying to enclose the W/D behind doors of some kind wouldn't leave enough room for boot-removal. You've both suggested, though, some version of stacked W/D (I think I can live with the bending over) and a nice cabinet at the side where the washer is now, with a countertop and storage above. I like this, and the narrow benches are a big improvement on the gardener's seat DH sits on now, which I'm going to take away from him in the spring anyhow!

The bathroom has a huge linen closet so I don't need more storage, and really I can use the basin in there for hand-washables. Not the best solution, but a solution.

Thank you, both. You got me off the track I was stuck on. And teacats, the bathroom is painted shell pink and has a shell theme generally, you just can't see it in this photo because I forgot to turn on the lights!

• demeron
    12 years ago

It sounds like you are not sure you want to move the W/D and it is a big job, but if you're going to be there 7 years and want to do it, I wouldn't let the realtor's caution stop you. The hookups will still be there. Though a convenient laundry space is a blessing.

The space is narrow so I'm thinking the obvious-- an attractive row of pegs or hooks, either mounted to boards or on the wall itself (board mounted to studs would be stronger). A great rug. (Dash and Albert!) A nice-looking narrow bench. A great paint color that relates to the areas the space opens onto.

I love having a dedicated spot for purse, shoes, keys, etc. Good luck!

• chijim
    12 years ago

I would change the bathroom door to a French-style w/frosted glass or a contemporary ver w/frosted glass for interest.

A long narrow bench could be added - even if you use one that's 14"s deep, the 28 inches is still wide enough to comfortably walk down.

As for the laundry area - I would use a barn door style system that encloses the area when closed, but slides down the wall to the right when opened.

Jim

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

There is nothing wrong with asking guests to traipse through a clean de-cluttered laundry room. I have a similar setup, though my laundry room / mud room is a little longer but with more doors. If mine was a clean and clutter free as yours, I would not be bothered at all. Once I remodel my powder room, I will also be using that sink for washing delicates. (Right now I use a different bathroom sink.)

Considering your minimal storage needs, you may want to put a small storage cabinet (maybe just for the iron, ironing board, and laundry detergents) in between the bathroom wall and a stacked laundry unit. You could then put a bench at the end on the other side of the washer and dryer stacked unit (your husband could lean against the washer and dryer). You might even do a built in unit with shoe storage underneath. This would completely free up the walkway.

• annzgw
    12 years ago

I'm not sure a bench can be used easily in the main entry hall. Yes, one will fit but if that is the area you walk thru daily with coats, groceries, etc., then you want it as wide and functional as possible.

The stacked W/D is an ideal setup to gain more room in the upstairs laundry. I'd place them in the corner and then use the area where the washer is to set a chair or stool and then hang pegs on the back wall to hold coats & purses. You could also use a short bench that allows storage of shoes underneath instead of a chair.

I'd then paint the bathroom a richer color (maybe dark brown) with artwork above the toilet so that your eye is drawn that direction. Of course if the door is always closed it won't be an issue! :~)

If you decide to use side by side front loaders, be sure to measure carefully. Since your W/D now is already peeking around the corner you may find some of the new styles too wide.

• spring-meadow
    12 years ago

I'd move the w/d to the basement. Water problems on the living level are horrible and can cause severe damage. You'd then more room to work in a storage/coat area with a seat or even a small closet.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I'd do the stackable as planned and use some sort of hall tree where you will now have empty space from the dryer moving up on top of your washer.
    I would not worry about the bending for the front loader as it is the same as if you did not stack it and put it on the floor. That is my current configuration (for 4 years already) until we move it upstairs in a few weeks and stack them as planned. Mine both open the same way with the hinge on the left side, so until it goes to its new laundry room, I have to reach over the door to put things in and out as that is where the hookup forces it to be now in our small laundry room. I can't even climb over the door to be in front because the room is tight. Normal stacking will be such a dream with better access than I am used to ;) Besides, you have to reach in to a top loader to get stuff left on the bottom, so this is not more difficult. You could put them on a little platform as long as you are tall enough to reach the dryer on top.

You could probably fit a wider hall tree, but this is just an example.

Here is a link that might be useful: hall tree

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

My mom has a stackable washer/dryer on the way to her bathroom. It's her retirement "downsized" home and she loves it. She put storage next to the washer/dryer and it gives her all the space she needs.

If you do decide to move the washer and dryer downstairs, I would put a nice bench, with hooks, maybe a mirror and some beadboard behind it. Also, a storage area next to it, for hiding things like your purse and keys, etc. (maybe a drawer and cabinet below, with a counter top and a few shelves above.

The powder room is fine, so it really depends on convenience of the laundry area vs. mudroom type storage, IMHO.

Oh, and if you decide to put hooks in the actual hallway, make sure they're at chest level, not eye level :)

• b_lizzie
    12 years ago

In that location, stacking a pair of frontloaders would be my recommendation, both for space and ease of use. I have that set-up (in a larger space) and I'm loving it. The unit doors open the same way and conveying laundry from washer to dryer is a breeze!

I'd put the machines in the corner and go with a counter height cabinet to the right - functional for storage and for folding. An antique cabinet might be cute in that location, depending on your decor. A small bench opposite, perhaps with decorative coat hooks above, and you're all set.

• lyfia
    12 years ago

I would do a stackable w/d against the wall where the ironing board is facing the bench wall. Then I'd add a sheet of plywood from floor to ceiling to hide the w/d side and put a built in bench that allows for shoe storage underneath in the space now open from the stacking.

Then put cabinets above the bench at a height that allows for sitting without hitting them and do them to the ceiling for lots of storage. I'd also install hooks underneath the cabinets to quickly be able to hang coats/purses/keys etc. from. Maybe some shallower smaller cubbies under too to be able to stick smaller things such as wallets/cell phones. An outlet would be great to have in that area to charge phones too.

I'd paint the bench/cabinets/plywood your trim color to make the w/d blend more and not stick out as much.

• lyfia
    12 years ago

That should be "a stackable w/d against the wall where the ironing board is facing the current bench wall"

• lyfia
    12 years ago

One more - it looks like the plumbing is on the wrong side for doing what I suggested, however you could still do this with putting a plywood panel over the area that allow rooms for the hoses to go behind it. Hinge the panel so you can still access the hoses. Add trim on the side that faces the hallway to hide the space.

Put the hooks on the hinged plywood panel.This way you don't have to remove anything if you need quick access. Hang the cabinets as normal attached to the wall. All that will happen is the bench will stick out a little more, still less than the w/d and you'll have more head room.

If you don't need much storage for shoes/boots underneath th bench you could do half with a hinged lid to put a few items of dirty laundry in or for other storage. I often end up with a few pieces laying by the washer in my house as family comes in from outside.

• camlan
    12 years ago

I like the idea of stacking the washer and dryer and then using the freed up space for a bench and some sort of coat rack.

Another idea, but it would be spendy, would be to enlarge the powder room to hold the stacked w/d, and use some sort of door in front of them to make it look like a closet. That would hide the laundry area, and give you a separate mudroom space that would be smaller than what you have now, but completely usable for sitting and putting on/taking off shoes and coats.

• donnawb
    12 years ago

If you are going with front loaders and want to stack measure first because mine although I didn't stack are much deeper than the old top loader I had. Don't think you want them sticking farther out in the hall.

• susanka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What a wonderful list of ideas. Thank you all so much. I think we're going to go with some variation of stacking and then a bench and storage on the same side as the W/D, being careful to allow enough head room. The new W/D will stick out further than what we have now, so I think we need to leave the far side of the hall, where the little bench is now, clear. I really appreciate all this help; you guys have been so generous with your ideas.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Can you post a floor plan? It's hard to tell what you have from the pictures.

• susanka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't have a photo of the floorplan. It's a backwards L as you look down on it, with the dining room at the top of the L and the powder room at the end of the foot of the L. That's the best I can do, I think. Thank you.

• callie25
    12 years ago

Lots of good ideas here. I would agree with your realtor though. We have hookups in our basement & upstairs. When we retiled the upstairs laundry room, we used the w/d downstairs. I thought I would enjoy having my laundry room downstairs all of one week (or less). I got tired really quickly of carrying everything downstairs & then back up. It is out of sight downstairs, but the convenience of having it upstairs speaks for itself.

• jejvtr
    12 years ago

sus

I didn't read the above responses - so pardon in advance if this is redundant.

If you are definitely going to be there for 7yrs, you decide how you would like your home to be during that time. Do pros/cons of relocating - then move on.

If you leave laundry there - think vertical! Yes, look into stacking units make sure you have all the space & clearances necessary to do so - ck and double check, it's not just the dimensions of the machines but the duct work for dryer, hook ups for washer - & enough height in the area

I would consider making or purchasing a nice panel drapery there that can easily be pulled aside to do laundry - **Do I see pocket doors? closed up when complete.

Also, vertical on shelves storage - creative ways of making that little space more efficient - how often do you iron? do you have another spot to dash the board. I would only have what is absolutely daily use in that area.

If you leave the laundry there - I don't think you really have space for mud area - other than putting in some hooks to hang a jacket or 2 -

scroll down look at tiny laundry room transformation
    http://realsouthernliving.blogspot.com/2009_06_01_archive.html

http://www.remodelaholic.com/2010/08/laundry-room-design-with-craft-room-all.html

Link below to images

Here is a link that might be useful: laundry areas

• susanka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jejvtr, thank you for all the images. There were a few humorous ones in the link which weren't laundry rooms!

All of you have given us such good ideas (and thanks to you who said it's not such a social crime to ask guests to go through a laundry room to get to the powder room).

Anyway, we're thinking and rethinking about what we're going to do, and I thank you all for the help you've given us.