SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acountryfarm

Big problem, what would you do?

acountryfarm
15 years ago

So we are nearing the end of build, finally. I know some of you know my horrible 3 yr. long story. But it gets worse.

Hired our original painter, signed contract etc. He later quit as he said he way underbid job, this is after getting paid for 1/2 of paint job.

Anyway, I pick paint color ( SW Dover White) for all ceilings and EXTENSIVE beadboard, cabinetry & trimwork. He paints ceilings upstairs. Everything looks great.

New painter comes on and gets ready to start spraying trimwork, beadboard. Three days into he says,

"you, know that because original painter ordered wrong paint color the ceilings and trimwork etc. don't match, right ? "

NO, I don't know this. He is about done with upstairs, I go look and sure enough they don't match. I tell him respray ceilings and I will figure out what happened.

I guess the original painter ordered Dover White from place where we were getting all paint color matched in the right SW colors. He assumed it would be right when he told them Dover white. He did not think they would have their own Dover White ( isn't he in the business because he is suppose to be a professional?) Anyway the WHite we had was indeed Dover White, but from someone else. Very stark white, lots of cool blue -ishness in it. Not at all what I wanted.

We also had 5 5 gallons of this stuff already mixed, great. Decided that for entire downstairs we would buy new paint and do it right.

Get SW Dover White.

Downstairs is now almost done. It is beautiful, creamy white. Just what it is supposed to be. I hate the upstairs.

A much as I hate to think about it.... would you, should I, have them re-tape & re-spray upstairs with the right color. This is an upstairs that does have a door in the stair well so there is good separation. But still it is so different. I hate to think of 2 different colors of trim,beadboard, cabinetry, etc. also hate to think about re-doing it.

Its not just a little trim, it is extensive with lots of built-ins and cabinetry as well.

Voice your opinions please. DH says have them re-spray, the cost is minimal as far as paint goes.. But to have it right??? What cost???

Sorry this is so long, I am just sick about the whole thing. Pics if you need them. Thanks to all you wonderful people.

Kimberly

Comments (17)