SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21006250

help me convince DH to go red! - photoshop?

13 years ago

Would someone please photoshop this wall a deep red/burgandy.

I would love to paint my foyer red, it is a perfect room as it is totally enclosed from the rest of the house. I have red/burgandy accents throughout my house. I am sure it would look stunning but my DH has trouble visualizing it, I am sure he would love it once done. Thank you so much.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (52)

• 13 years ago

I agree with you, but then again I like any color as long as it's red. LOL. Hope this helps.

{{!gwi}}

• 13 years ago

oops. Let me know if you'd like to go darker and cooler. I picked the color to work with the color of the bow in her hair.

• Related Discussions

Convince me to NOT get a boxer puppie

Q

Comments (44)
    I have found dogs much more tolerable than kids! Among other benefits, they don't scream in expensive resturants. I happen to have two Pembroke Welsh Corgis, one of which actually says words. Now, my wife's brother and his wife have a 10 year old male warlock boxer named Ceaser. I no sooner walk in the door and sit down than I have a 75# boxer in my lap. They are known to slobber a tad. He and a great dane and a three-legged black lab each have their own leather sofa on which to lounge. Did I mention that they don't scream in expensive resturants.
    ...See More

HELP ...... Could someone photoshop this for me?????

Q

Comments (17)
    Okay, finally had a little more time to work out what I am envisioning! Please ignore the fact that I'm very amateur at doing this sort of thing, but here is what I came up with: I haven't learned to use the 'magic wand' feature in Photoship which would be so very helpfuf for me, so I basically had to draw over the pic. you have. So, with that in mind--what do you think of a brickish sort of color with a black counter top and base-board and pewter hardware or black?
    ...See More

Least expensive gunite pool? (Help me convince DH :)

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you both very much for the information. If I thought I could get something pretty close to what I want for $20-25,000, I might be able to convince him. I will certainly have to pull out all of the stops to do so though... :) Gorilla, I understand what you mean about the economies of scale. I guess it does not take much to dig a bit larger hole and add a bit more material while they are doing the whole thing. It is good to hear that the extras are what add most of the cost, because I don't really need much in the way of options. I can do without a heater to start with. Your idea to add those types of things later is an excellent one. Snookums, thanks for the information on topics I should be researching. In the little bit of time I've put into it, I've read that maintenance effort has come a very long way in recent years. Maybe I will have to promise to take care of it myself!
    ...See More

Convincing the husband to go with induction

Q

Comments (23)
    "Let him roll his eyes. If you are the primary cook, then you get to make the primary decisions about what you cook on. He doesn't get to have any input, except on budget for said appliance. No "convincing" required. Tell him that's what it's going to be and if he wants you to keep out of his lawn mower purchase he'll shut up and accept it. If he cooks once in a blue moon and doesn't want to cook on the induction, buy him a hot plate and call it done." Wow. If my husband or I ever spoke to each other so obnoxiously I'm sure we'd no longer be married. Nowhere did the OP say she is the primary cook, so there is a good bit of sexism there as well. (And the lawn mowers in my garage were picked out by ME for MY use - not dh's) Regarding range choice - I love our Capital range, but dh and I have agreed that our next range will be induction. Thanks to a childhood accident, dh has an inordinate fear of fire. In spite of the fact that I do most of the cooking, I will take his opinion into consideration. I would never tell him to "shut up and accept it"!
    ...See More
  • 13 years ago

Here you go. I'm not much help in the decorating arena, but I can handle Photoshop. BTW, the color I modeled in is Behr "Chianti" which I've used and think is a gorgeous red/burgandy.

If you'd prefer to see a different color just let me know the manufacturer & color so I can grab an online sample.

• 13 years ago

Sorry, didn't see someone was already handling the Photoshopping. :)

• 13 years ago

cpartist/avesmor, you guys rock, thank you so much.
    It is nice to see the difference between the two colors. I think one is a bit bright and the other is a bit dark.

The red I am thinking is probably between the two shades. I like a deep dark red (black mix).

Could we try Raison Torte by Benjamin Moore.

mrose, the color I have now is a Behr color, Harvest Brown

• 13 years ago

Raisin Torte

• 13 years ago

Thanks avesmor, raison torte is not doing anything for me.

Last two paint chips I have here are Behr Book Binder and Benjamn Moore caliente, could we try those?

So far I am liking your Behr color the best.

• 13 years ago

Try BM Shy Cherry! (my.02c worth-) BM has great reds.

• 13 years ago

How about using a very deep mahogany red which is how your chest reads. Kind of a deep rich red wine color.

• 13 years ago

Wow, I don't know if the digital samples are off, but Book Binder is really sorta mauve. I almost didn't even bother posting it once I saw it applied. I included the "chip" in both of these so you can see what it looked like, and if it compares to what you're expecting to see.

Book Binder

Caliente

• 13 years ago

Just to show completely different directions. Sorry, my masking got a little messy in these and I didn't realize it until now:

• 13 years ago

Something more like these, looking up 'black cherry,' or with a bit more red to them.

http://www.kitchencartshops.com/images/JBaColors.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Cherry color

• 13 years ago

Wow, avesmor you have and definately convinced me and DH that red is the way to go. Thank you so much for helping me convince DH, problem now is what red.

Thanks springmeadow, sounds like what I need, do you have a name.
    Daisy, I will check out that color, thanks

I posted some pictures to show the reds I have throughout, I think I need a blue red...any suggestions.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• 13 years ago

What a beautiful home! I can't photoshop, but you might want to try Behr's Cinnamon Cherry. It's a beautiful color.

• 13 years ago

Thank you, roseabby. After seeing Harvest Brown in the rest of your house, I'm definitely going to get a sample and see if it works in my house.

Did you look at the reds on the gallery. There may be one there you like. Raspberry Truffle is a popular red and there's a couple of pictures of it there.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: reds

• 13 years ago

I love the Behr Chianti and think it is gorgeous with the painting and furniture. I also love the paint through out the rest of your home. Would you mind sharing the name?

• 13 years ago

Laurie, those pictures dont depict the true color of Harvest Brown. If you look at this one, in the corner above the transom is more like the real color although IRL it is a deeper shade. Harvest Brown is a yellow based taupe color with a hint of green. Goes well with reds, golds, olive greens and smokey blues.

tfm, thanks. The color is Behr Harvest Brown.

• 13 years ago

oops sorry Laurie, I forgot the picture

• 13 years ago

Behr Antique Red is my go to color for a rich dark red that's not winey or orangey.

• 13 years ago

H iRoseabbey,

Oh, you will love Red! I have BM Raspberry truffle in my dining room and love it. It's deep and not too bright. I get alot of sunlight and it never is anything but lovely and rich. I get alot of compliments. I used Aura and it looks like velvet on the walls. My daughter just painted her spare bedroom BM Pomegranate. The sample swatch doesn't do it justice. I thought it would look too deep for her small 8 x 11 room. It looks gorgeous. Even deeper red than Raspberry Truffle and I may even like it better. She was also thinking of Caliente, but in her light it wasn't as deep. Looks more orange red in the swatch, but photos here also look lovely. Remember, charcoal grey primer. I would also recommend Aura. My daughter didn't use it and we needed 4 coats. I used Aura and needed 3, but didn't use grey primer. The paint store guy argued with me and tinted it red. He was wrong. Pomegranate is definitely a blue red. I highly suggest trying it.

• 13 years ago

My vote is for the Behr "Chianti" -- gorgeous!! (And so is your home!)

• 13 years ago

I just painted the area above my mantle BM Caliente and I LOVE it! It is a gorgeous color, especially with the lighting that I have. It looks like red velvet on my walls. It's a really true red. I got a sample pot of it and put a little bit on my wall. I really didn't love it but decided to just throw caution to the wind and paint it thinking that I would just leave it until the holidays were over and then go a bit more neutral. NO WAY! It looks too good to get rid of so soon! The sample did nothing for the color. I'm not sure if it was off in tone or if it was just a matter of painting a larger portion of it. It made me wonder how many colors I have sampled in the past in my house that I didn't like but maybe would have loved if I just went for it and painted the whole room. Lesson learned!

• 13 years ago

I also love the Behr Chianti and the dark blue but think the red matches your beautiful home the best.

• 13 years ago

roseabbey - I was going to email you instead of hijacking your thread again, but couldn't find your address through gardenweb (sorry). I ran out and picked up a sample from HD before you posted that last picture. Does it look green in person or taupe. The sample looks green, but we all know how unreliable samples are.

Laurie

• 13 years ago

Thankyou everyone for the suggestions.
    I will have to go out and get those paint chips you have suggested and see how the color looks irl. I want to take my time and get the best red for that space. I am liking the Behr Chianti so far the best. I had forgotten about the Raspberry Truffle. I have a chip I picked up last year when I was hoping to go red but couldnt convince DH.

Avesmore/cpartist, any chance you could photo shop BM Raspberry Truffle for me?

Laurie, the Harvest Brown is a taupe color in the brown family.

• 13 years ago

While you are getting paint chips, pick up one called Cinnamon Cherry by Behr. I just painted my front door this color over the weekend, and I am in love with it. I love the Chianti, as well....Love your home, especially your kitchen, just beautiful!

• 13 years ago

Here's Raspberry Truffle per the chip on the BM site, but when I look at pics others have posted of the color they seem a much more vivid red than this. I've not seen the color in person so I don't know how accurate this is.

• 13 years ago

Here's my BM Raspberry Truffle with lots of morning light. This is as bright as it ever looks. Most of the day, it's a shade darker and rich in appearance.

• 13 years ago

Eagertopaint, thanks I am making a list of the reds I need to look at when I go out. I will put Cinamon Cherry on the list.

avesmor, you have been a termendous help I really appreciate it.

boysrus, thanks for posting your picture. looks fabulous.
    I am still looking for a red with more black in it.

• 13 years ago

I've seen pictures of BM Dinner Party in Aura. It looks like a gorgeous rich red.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM AF-300

• 13 years ago

roseabbey,

Mind if I ask you where you found the bed bench? I've been looking for something just like that!

• 13 years ago

I used BM Moroccan Red (1309) in my living room and really like it.

• 13 years ago

kmcg, I really like the dinner party red on my computer, will def add that one to my list. thanks

jillnnj, will take a look at moroccoan red right now on my computer screen it reads a bit on the orange side but that could just be my screen. Thanks,

annz, I bought that bench at Bombay

• 13 years ago

The red accents you use in your house seem to have undertones of blue more than yellow so another to consider is BM Burnt Peanut Red. I painted my DR in this shade. It's a lovely rich red without looking orange-y - or pink-y either.

I just posted pics of my DR (with its new drapes) in another thread. The photos were taken without a flash, although the after photo had more sunlight streaming in than the before photo and that seems to have affected how the red walls read. Still, the pics should give you a fairly good idea of what the red looks like IRL.

Be prepared to apply several coats, even with a tinted primer. My DR walls have 4 coats of paint: 1 coat of primer and 3 coats of color. I might have been able to get away with only 2 coats of color but I wanted to make sure I had good coverage. One of my FR walls is also deep red and I had to paint just as many coats on that wall, too. With all other colors, even saturated colors, I get by with only 2 coats of color and no primer.

Here is a link that might be useful: DR drapes & Before/After of LR (lots of pics)

• 13 years ago

Lisa, that is a beautiful color. I will add that to my list. I am looking for a blue red or a black red. YOu mentioned sunlight in your room, I was told yesterday that the sun fades red more than another color, I do get sunlight streaming through the transom over the door, I am a bit nervous now.

Will the red fade enough to be blotchy after a while? Anyone had that experience?

• 13 years ago

I've never heard that warning but I just checked and I don't see any fading. I should add that I've never paid attention to whether the sunlight hits the red walls, though. I've only made sure that I placed my great-grandparents' wedding photographs where they'd never receive direct sunlight.

You could always add window film that blocks the UV rays but lets the light in. If your windows are newer, they may already have some kind of treatment on them. Worth checking since it may allay your concern.

• 13 years ago

Yet another for you to check out... currently, my favorite red is Olympic Burning Bush.

• 13 years ago

I see you have tan walls similar to my entry way. As you can see I painted the recessed areas in a red. The formal livingroom is the same red. You can really see how the tan color looks very different depending on how light hits it, just like the picture shown to you of the red dining room. Tell your dh to not fear it. Heck, my dining room has black wallpaper, talk about dark!

• 13 years ago

Lisa, thanks I think you are right, I never heard that before except from this one person. If it were true I am sure I would have read about it on this forum.

greenthumb, thanks adding it to my list, is it a Benjamin Moore color?

Shannon, thanks, your colors look great. DH was afraid to go with the Harvest Brown for goodness sake. First time we used in it was pretty dark against all the white primed walls, he was freakin out but now he really likes it. I am sure he will like the red too once it is on the wall. Hopefully the right red though, that is the task at hand now to find it.

• 13 years ago

The photo of Raspberry Truffle looks brighter in her photo than it is, as she stated. Here is another in the archives of Bonniee's living room.
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0620181013625.html

Check out BM Caliente, Pomegranate and Dinner Party red also. Pomegranate and DP are deeper reds. I love my RT.

• 13 years ago

My favorite red is Bangkok Rust from Lowe's. I have it in my kitchen and my neighbor stole it too. There are others here on the forum with it too---a search will likely find a pic. It looks more orangey on the chip, but isn't at all orangey on the wall. Just a nice, deep red.

• 13 years ago

Hey roseabbey - no, Burning Bush is an Olympic Paint color - I get it at Lowes where sample cans are cheap ;-) But I'm pretty sure you could have it mixed in any paint. It's a great red - not purple-y not orange-y, not in your face-y... "Goldie Locks just right" ;-)

• 13 years ago

scanmike,. I like it irl, in the picture it did seem a bit bright. My ultimate red would have more black in it. I will get a sample board of it though.

creek/greenthumb, we dont have a Lowes here yet. It is coming though.

• 13 years ago

I'm sorry to be the one dissenting voice about the use of red, for several reasons. You have a truly gorgeous home but I feel that red is really better with more traditional or country decor, and yours seems to strike a more contemporary note. I've noticed in many decorating magazines now that red is not used nearly as much as it was a few years ago. I have a red dining room, and even though the color is gorgeous and appropriate with the furnishings, after three years I'm beginning to tire of the color. That's the danger with stronger colors, even though it's hard to believe at first, because they can look so great. Lisa's dining room looks really good in red because the drapes provide a large area of a beautiful lighter, complementary color. Of course you can always repaint after a few years but I thought a different opinion might provide some food for thought. In the final analysis, of course, it's your home and the most important thing is to choose what makes you happy. Good luck!

• 13 years ago

ingrid, thank you for your thoughts and compliment. I never thought of my decorating style as contemporary always traditional or eclectic, so I guess I dont know as much as I thought I did...LOL

I have always wanted a red room but never felt I had the right situation in my previous homes to have one. I am one of those that likes the same or very similar paint colors to flow from room to room, as I have always had an open concept home. My feeling is that differentt paint colors in an open concept makes it look very choppy, this is my opinion only. In this home, the entrance is a closed in one with double french doors upper and lower level. I guess you would call it a vestible. There is a lot of light and alot of white trim and mouldings including wainscotting. I understand what you are saying about getting tired of a bold color, but this is not a room where anyone would spend a lot of time in as it is an entrance.
    I really think it would create a wow factor when you step into the house. I am so happy DH is on board, well most days he is, so I am going to forge ahead and try and pick the best red I can but thanks again for your thoughts :>)

• 13 years ago

roseabbey, I thought you might have some interest in seeing my red dining room walls. The color tends more toward rust, and you may be able to see some gold decoration I applied afterward, just for the fun of it.

• 13 years ago

BM Georgian Brick. You won't regret it!

• 13 years ago

ingrid, very pretty room. I dont think I would ever tire of red walls, they make my heart sing.

megsy, thanks will put it on my list.

• 13 years ago

I have an accent wall in the LR painted in Pratt and Lambert Cranapple, #1015. Not sure it is in their regular palette, but you may still be able to get it mixed.

It was not the red I thought I would have when I started looking, as I prefer reds that are a little more brown, less blue. But the brown ones all looked dead in the room, which faces north and doesnâÂÂt get a lot of light. So despite the color you might THINK you need, be sure and pull some swatches of reds that you donâÂÂt think are your favorite. The effect of light and flooring will make a difference, and the room has to dictate the best choice.

It has been there for 7 years now, and I still love it. I can see the wall through the front window, and when I am out walking the dog across the street at and look in, I still love how it looks.

Recently I told my 19 year old son that perhaps I should consider another color, as that has been there for quite a while, maybe things were boring? He was adamant that he loves the color, and the way it works in the room. Color has always mattered to him.

• 13 years ago

les, thanks. I am nervous about this paint job. We are getting professionals to do the work, with the height of the ceilings, stairs in the way and just the red paint color itself, I dont want to tackle this painting ourselves, therefore I need to make sure the red shade is right the first time. It will take me a while to figure out the right shade. I appreciate your post and will take your advice about the different undertones. I know I will love the room with the red! Any chance of you posting a picture of your lovely accent wall?

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH