SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

I went to a "thing" last night

Annie Deighnaugh
11 years ago

Architect sent me his invite to a "thing" last night at Calico Corners which was put on with CT Cottages and Gardens. I've not been to one of their "things" before so it was an experience. It ran from 5:30 - 7:30 and it was supposed to be "sharing design tips and tricks for starting with fabric for home projects in any space".

It was not what I expected. Most of it was a cocktail party...wine, seltzer and ladies delivering hors d'oeuvres. Then came the presentation by a woman who was Creative Director at Richloom Fabrics. Her talk was somewhat interesting, about how she got involved with textiles at an early age, etc. Then she showed some archival pieces of fabric and how they translate them into current fabrics and then create other fabrics to coordinate with them. Then she showed her design board for the latest color trends and their interpretation of those themes. Then she started pulling out fabric squares...squares after squares of various fabrics and coordinating fabrics which was meant to "inspire" us to design rooms around their fabrics. It was all well and good, but a disappointment to me.

What I expected was more "class" time and less chat time. What I expected was more on how to use fabrics...window treatments, furnishings, art, etc. (When someone asked her how to use a particular fabric, she said, "I don't know...maybe a pillow.) What I hoped for was Q&A with the audience where we could all learn from each other's questions and answers. I was stunned that this senior person at a fabric company could not answer a question about copying designs and copyright issues like it never even occurred to her. I also expected to find interior designers or other professionals in the audience. Instead what I found was groups of women who came together to support one or another of the people putting on the show. About half of the audience was people who were involved in sales and marketing of fabrics.

For those interested, these are the notes I took.

The color schemes were named as follows:

Whole Grain (natural colors with lots of texture)

Touch of Grey (all shades of gray put together)

Mellow Yellow (from pale to pops of canary)

Garden Greens (lots of spring green to citrine)

Tangled up in Blue (Cobalts mixed with soft blue)

Grapevine (Amethyst colors)

Casbah (Global fabrics such as Ikat and Suzani)

Dynamic Duo (black and white with a pop of something)

All that Shimmers (metallic colors with a kiss of shimmer, even leather)

Trends:

Botanicals that are large in scale

Water color type prints

50s color palettes

Lots of orange and mixed with brights such as fuscia

Teal is emerging

Color blocking

Comments (8)