SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lori316_gw

My weekend project, inspired by Franksmom

lori316
12 years ago

Franksmom was gifted an old Lane cedar chest (see the link for the thread below). The pictures in that thread really inspired me to find my own hidden treasure, and the next day or two, I found this at my local thrift shop (sorry about the cell phone quality:

I planned to follow the inspiration pictures from Franksmom's thread, paint it white with glass knobs/pulls and use it as a buffet/sideboard. I had the perfect spot for it in my dining room.

Then I realized if I went with more of an off-white/cream color, it would match my kitchen cabinets. This is the only picture I have of my cabinets right now, which was a close-up to show the knobs:

So I changed directions, made my own chalk paint (easy & cheap) and color matched the cabinets. I decided it would go between my kitchen and living room and be used in the same way a sofa table would. Eh...didn't love it there. It was too big for the spot.

So my DH came up with this idea and we're happy:

Ignore the "sticks" to the left that my 7 yr old thought was a good design option. About an hour after we moved it into place, friends came by that had never seen the house and the furniture was the first thing they complimented us on, not knowing we had just placed it there.

It's a huge piece. To give you an idea, I think that TV is 58 inches (??). I removed the mirros and will use them for another project. The right door also needs to be re-adjusted to fit better.

We put knobs on it that match those kitchen cabinets, but kept the original pulls. For $24.99, we're very happy with how it turned out.

Franksmom, I truly hope you don't mind I "borrowed" your idea. You inspired me :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration link

Comments (24)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm