SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

Leather chair arrived with defect - is it appropriate to ask ...

estreya
15 years ago

Hello everyone!

After waiting for several weeks, the two Hancock & Moore leather chairs i ordered (back when the economy seemed a bit more stable) finally arrived. One of the chairs had a blemish on the inside arm that wasn't quite a hole, but rather an indentation in which the "underside" of the leather was poking through.

{{!gwi}}

I called the store to ask about the indentation, expressing concern more for the long term durability of that spot, rather than the aesthetic character of the defect. I also sent them the photo you're seeing here.

They assured me the indented spot wouldn't wear any more quickly than the rest of the hide. They sent me a furniture pen and suggested i dab it into the "hole" to darken the exposed ring. They also said if i wasn't satisfied with the result, they'd send someone out to look at it.

Well, i'm not satisfied with the result. First, the pen they sent was a darker color with a squared off, blunt tip. I dabbed it in with perhaps more force than i should have, and it bled onto the leather, creating a black "spot" that's even larger than the original blemish. I think it looks worse than it did before i touched it.

What would you guys do in this circumstance? Should i give them the opportunity to repair it, or would it make more sense to ask for an exchange?

I know it's a huge indulgence to be able to be concerned about spots on chairs with times being what they are. Still, i did save for a long time to buy these chairs, and i'm bothered that one of them arrived with a defect that probably should have been hidden under the seat cushion, or another less conspicuous spot. Meanwhile, i'm furious with myself because i probably could have lived with the original blemish, but now that it's a larger black spot, it bothers me even more.

Thoughts?

Comments (21)