SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanwrites_gw

rug help for in the new sitting area?

susanwrites
13 years ago

I spent hours today looking at rugs for the new sitting area, narrowing down choices for hubby to look at and for me to make mockups with. Then I realized I had no idea what size to use in the new space. When it was the dining area I got an 8 x 10 rug and it stretched out across the doorway to the bathroom and to my husband's office and out into the walkway to the library. We didn't seem to have any trouble walking around/over it in these places but maybe there's a better way and maybe, for the new setup, I don't need an 8 x 10?

Here's old rug stretched across doorway

Tonight we moved the buffet out of the space, moved the loveseat on the wall where it will go and brought in the patio chairs that are only slightly smaller than my Chloe chairs so I could get some ideas. (And before anyone asks, I tried the loveseat angled in the corner but hubby hated the wasted space behind it and I tried it on the short wall and it looked forced.)

By moving it slightly off-center (is that ok?) on the wall I actually have room for that lovely bowfront chest that is still available on craiglist. Would it look nice on that short wall? There's room to open the drawers though not tons of room.

new sitting area space

I guess maybe I need a pointer, if someone has it, to a post on basic rug rules. With the loveseat against the wall, I think I can have just the front of the couch on the edge of the rug (or maybe not at all) but then does it have to come out far enough for the chairs to sit on or just in front of the chairs? Argh...I'm so confused.

Comments (19)