SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakabedy_gw

How big of a table can I/should I use?

jakabedy
12 years ago

I'm furnishing a small interior conference/meeting room. It won't get super heavy use, but needs to be functional. The space is 9' x 9.5' with the 36" door toward the end of one long wall, swinging in against the short wall. I'm on a budget, so custom isn't possible. We're talking CL or things I can find on sale or IKEA. Options I've found:

1) An oval table that is 58" x 37". Situated lengthwise, and pushed slightly back to allow for the door swing, it could seat 6 if necessary. The long sides have plenty of chair pull-out room. But on the short sides there would be only 28" between the table and the wall. Not only would that have to work for the chair on the end, but people would have to move past that chair to get to the chair(s) on the back side.

2) A round table. I wouldn't want it any smaller than 48" for usefulness purposes (and that may be too small, anyway). It leaves only 30" chair pull-out room on the shorter dimension, although it does away with the passage to the back side problem). But it also limits me, I think, to four or maybe five chairs in a pinch.

3) A rectangular table up to 72" long and 36" wide, but place it with one short side against the wall. I lose the look of the table being centered, and lose one of the "end" chair positions. But it would be the largest table and would easily seat five -- maybe even seven depending on the chairs.

Thoughts?

Comments (4)