SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwtamara

How often should I fertilize my bonsai and what should I use?

gwtamara
11 years ago

> Probably the most important rule about fertilizing is to never feed a tree that is under
stress. The causes of stress are many, ranging from over watering or under watering to
newly pruned roots or disease.

> Once again, it is so very important to know what type of tree your bonsai is.
Different types have specific needs as to the type and frequency of fertilization.

> Many enthusiasts who have some experience think the safest method, with no fuss, is
4 month type of 14-14-14 time release fertilizer, such as Osmocote. This is
incorporated right into the potting mix or sprinkled on the surface and worked down
into the mix.

> Most broadleaf trees and tropicals can be fed with any general houseplant or garden
fertilizer.

> Conifers, azaleas and certain others can benefit from a monthly application of an
acidic fertilizer, such as MirAcid.

> Some growers include hormones such as Superthrive in their regimen to stimulate
root production.

> Trees should only be fertilized when in periods of active growth. This is generally
from midspring through early summer and from late summer to early fall.

> If your summers are extremely hot and your trees are outdoors, do not fertilize until
temperatures have moderated and growth has resumed.

> Likewise, do not feed trees in winter when they are either dormant or growth has
slowed down.

> Some growers prefer organic fertilizers over chemicals. This is an ongoing debate
and much too lengthy to go into detail here.

Comment

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County