SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
murphyroad

What window treatment ? Need privacy yet openness - help!

12 years ago

Can you help solve my quest for the perfect window treatment for one bathroom window?

The sole window sits above the tub and is in a "box" -- a popout in the wall. The ledge the wall creates above the tub holds decorative items I would like to keep there. I often open the window and want to keep the ability to easily do that -- however, I also want the ability to cover the window completely for privacy, especially at night.

I currently have a paper ($5) shade covering the window. I slide it up when I want light and to open the window. I pull it down for privacy.

I need to get something permanent and that looks better. I love the look of plantation shutters, but to open them all the way so I can open the window, wouldn't I have to move the items off of the shelf? And since the window is set back into a "box" with walls on each side, where would the shutters go when I want them to NOT be covering the window? (I realize I could manipulate the slats, but I want it truly open, folded back and away, but I don't think I could do that in the "box").

I would also like a solution that doesn't require me to step into the tub to do it, but all I can think of is a remote-controlled shade that would raise and lower using the remote. I've never had one of those -- anyone have any experience with them? Are they slow? Do they break down?

The only other thing I've been able to think of is glass that turns opaque at the touch of a button. Once I stayed in a hotel room that had that feature; the bathroom was a glassed-in section within the room, and at the flip of a switch the surrounding glass turned opaque. This is probably cost-prohibitive for my situation, but it was the only other thing that occureed to me. (Does anyone know whether that type of glass is available for the home? Cost? Etc.?)

I would love advice about what options could work for me; thank you!

Comments (3)