SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Made some LR decisions--but need input (pics!)

funkyart
15 years ago

My schedule has been crazy and the furniture store I am dealing with now has limited hours so I just haven't done a thing with the LR until today-- I stopped on my way home (grumpy and tired) and have made some decisions about everything but the chairs that will flank the fireplace.

The rugs will be leaving eventually, so I don't want to match anything to the rugs -- but I'll still stay in the same color ranges silvery blues, gray greens, oranges in the apricot/pumpkin/cinnamon range and brown. I have dark brown velvet curtains that I can use (or turn not). I am not fussing with artwork as yet.. but I am fussing with the mantel.

These are crappy pictures but I won't replace them until this weekend (I am going to clear the fireplace wall and take pics so that I can PS the mantel treatment and chairs in )

Sofa and chair

The sofa and the large chest will stay---depending on the depth of the chair, I may move the chest to the stair wall. The coffee table chest will go.

This is very similar to the chair I have selected to replace the leather chair under the staircase. The feet are a little different and it is a little wider/shorter. I have only briefly looked at fabrics, but I anticipate a linen type weave with the oversized nailheads.. probably a solid though Wesley Hall has some gorgeous patterns so I may fall in love and ignore my plan. There was an embroidered tonal faux bois print that I really liked that might be fun. It is kind of a boring stuff chair but i lOVE the oversized nailheads-- and the damn chair was made for me. It is incredibly comfy.

TV Stand

Many of you have been around the block with me a few times regarding tv stands. My designer, bless her heart, set up a little area for me on their showroom floor with a chest the same height, a picture above it and a chair about the same distance I'd sit away from the screen. I am perfectly fine with the height of the buffet-- in fact, I think it is perfect (even though I told her that she should really move a sofa to the spot for me so I could try it while laying down LOL)

I looked at finishes and man, HW has some freakin gorgeous finishes. I narrowed the list down to a number of finishes all various degrees of distressed. I will choose the final finish when I go in next-- I want to take a paint sample in and also decide on chair finishes first. I will have NO problem finding something beautiful. The black as shown is in the running, but a streaky silver gray and a number of very antiqued or distressed finishes (browns, ivories, greens and grays) are probably all better options (I said I narrowed it down-- but down to like 10-12 of 100 or more. HW has an amazing number of finishes)

The only thing I am slightly concerned about is that the drawers are velvet lined for silverware. Is that going to be odd? Should I go with something less obviously for the DR??? I really don't want to restart my search but this is not an inexpensive piece so I don't want to choose foolishly.

Mantle

I love the idea of topiaries (a suggestion from someone here) but I am afraid it will look a little stuffy and I really want to add a funky vintage feel to the mirrored wall.. so I am considering either buying these aidan gray candlesticks or making my own candlesticks from architectual pieces or old ballisters. I have had a hard time finding something in wood rather than resin.. so it's pay more than I wanted or make my own.

I am picturing 5 candlesticks-- 3 on one side, 2 on the other. I'd add a vase or urn with fresh flowers when I have them.

Chairs to flank the fireplace

OK here is where I am most undecided. These chairs will flank the fireplace that is white painted brick. (I will take fresh pictures this weekend)

I can:

a. Keep the leather chair and pair it with something else--though none of the possibilities below are the right size or style to balance the chair, I don't think.

b. Get a pair of these Drexel heritage chairs-- which are surprisingly comfortable. I sit in them every time I am in the furniture store. I plan to have fun with the fabric-- either a funky pattern or two different patterns (anyone know the apricot and blue horchow chair?)

c. The Drexel Heritage chair above with one of these hickory white chairs. This was not my first choice and I am a little concerned about the detail on the chair-- but going through a number of chairs, this seemed to be the best match. I will use a distressed finish and a much less formal fabric pattern or color.

d. Use two armless, rolled back, chairs with lots of tufting and exposed legs ..they're hickory white but I can't find a picture online. They are very pretty but also have a library feel to them. I would probably do them in a velvet--in a toned down lime-ish green or gray blue color.

When I left the store, I was leaning towards the mismatched pair (c) but right now I am leaning towards B or D... or .. E - waiting and watching craigs list. I just got off the phone with my designer, I told her I was having second thoughts about our choice.. but she remains confident that the two french chairs (B and C) is the direction I should go-- but with special attention to the finish and fabric in order to best fit my style.

Sorry this is so long-- but I really think I need to make these decisions together as a "look" rather than individual pieces. I want an unmatched but room with a cohesive feel. Which chairs do you like best? Do you think the buffet is too much for the tv? Feel free to comment on anything.

Comments (36)

• parma42
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Funky, I'm just out the door. Will be back in a few hours.

On first blush, I'm not loving the B + C option. Really like the Bs as a stand alone option IF they are really comfortable. I think that especially with eclectic design, we sometimes need some cohesion.

Maybe it's the fabric on chair C that's throwing me off. I really don't like it, LOL. What are the heights of B and C.

I'd like to see a pic of option D. I'll scrounge around when I get home to see if I can find one.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am also just out the door.. but I am with you. I like C but it feels frumpy and not for my home. B is VERY comfy-- it is my choice out of the whole showroom when we sit and talk. I want to say they are the same height but I looked at so many chairs, I want to be sure I am remembering correctly.

I'll look for the other HW chairs too-- in a few hours.

Thanks for looking.. I really value your thoughts!

• Related Discussions

plan and pics - need input on paths

Q

Comments (2)
    I haven't any opinion on the driveway. Moving it over seems fine, if you don't mind the trouble and expense. I know this isn't what you're asking about, but I think it's a pity the stairs up to the entry porch aren't on the west -- and wider -- side; that would simplify the approach to the house (fewer right-angle turns getting inside). Besides all the turns getting to the stairs and then in the front door, the chimney kind of cramps the approach to the current porch stairs -- at least that's the impression I get from the diagram and the first photo. It all seems awkward. And while I'm re-designing your house -- 8-) -- even if you keep the porch stairs where they are, it would help to remove the half-walls on the west side of the porch. Why conceal the view of the main door(s) to the house? Because that's really what it's about. This is the welcome-to-my-house area. So be welcoming, and keep it simple. Make it plain this is the entrance. One of the ways you do that is with a path from the driveway that clearly indicates the visitor should go to the front door rather than continue around the house. So the path to the front door should be emphasized; perhaps wider than the path that leads south. Give yourself a good-sized hardscape at the bottom of the entry stairs. You don't want any bottlenecks at the entrance to the house. This is where groups of Christmas visitors will pause on the way into the house. This is where you'll dump the boxes you just carried from the car while you go back to the driveway to get the rest of the purchases. I have no idea what shape the hardscape should be; it's a tricky area. The path south to the back terrace should start at the front door rather than at the path from the driveway to the front door, and that's just what you've done. It puts the emphasis on the front door; visitors aren't confused about where they're to go. === I think you haven't gotten much response either because people are fine with your design, or else because they're confused. The photos aren't really identified; some we can figure out, some not so easily. Photos 4 and 5 ... apparently they are the sandstone paths exiting east and south, but I've no idea if that's the east and south side of the terrace, or the east side of the terrace and the path south from the bedroom (?) on the east side of the house. It's also confusing because, to me at least, "sandstone" is solid stone, whereas you seem to be using the word for the fine material of the terrace.
    ...See More

I need some decorating input, rearranging? pictures

Q

Comments (17)
    I never knew there was a suggestion forum before, but on this thread - linked from suggestion forum, someone gave a tip to get rid of the symbols. Worked for me. Link to thread for odd symbols Here's what I did with the room. I moved the loveseat parallel and centered with the fireplace. But the room is really too narrow and there was just a narrow gap on each side. So I angled it and squared up the chair to it, and I think I like it. Both chair & loveseat face the kitchen, and I have room to add another chair later. And I moved the little table behind the loveseat. I put a couple of ducks on it for now. Don't look too closely please; they're dusty. I've never had a sofa table before and have no idea what to put there. There wasn't enough room to put one of the wall unit pieces beside the loveseat, so I moved one where the little table was, and moved the other two to the other side. There wasn't enough room for the two to be side by side. I tried and it didn't look good, plus it covered the light switch. So I put them together in the corner. It looks ok, but it has the dreaded empty hole in the corner. I put the plant stand beside it for now, but that is the spot where another chair could be placed I think. For now, I put the bench and table against the wall that will be cut out. Now I need to hang these two pictures on the wall before something happens to them. I also have a bunch of extra pictures hung on the wall in the garage too. I'll photograph them in a few minutes. I am really horrible at accessorizing. Any suggestions anyone wants to make about pictures or any other accessories is most appreciated. I go years without being able to decide where to hang a picture, much less what to place on a shelf or table. And any idea for curtain color or fabric is also welcome.
    ...See More

Made mistakes, need your opinions with this dr/lr

Q

Comments (10)
    Lovely space. Here are some ideas to consider. Put the sofa where the 2 red chairs are to create a more distinct area between LR and DR. Put the 2 red chairs opposite. See if this helps to balance out the space. I don't like the tone of the red chairs with the fireplace, and think that neutral leather would look nice. They are nice chairs and you might consider them in a bedroom or other room in the house. I also don't think the wood tone of the mantle shelf goes with the fireplace brick. It could be my monitor, but the brick has some pink undertones, the mantle is too orange. I would like to see the mantle stained darker like the curio cabinet. I think an area rug would look nice in the LR. I think adding window treatments would be one of the first things to do, as it would warm up the space, and help bring the 2 windows by the fireplace into proportion in the room. There are also a lot of vertical things going on, and not enough horizontal surfaces to "ground" the space. With the curio, china hutch, and secretary all being the same proportions, I would like to see some console tables or end tables that are more grounding at that midlevel in the space. I think the lighting is fine if you like it. But adding some lamps on consoles or sofa tables would bring some light lower to read in the space. Overall, a nice space.
    ...See More

Need help accessorizing LR (pics)

Q

Comments (5)
    LOVE the wall color! I think the stripe or border of frames is a cute idea, but perhaps works better in a hallway or on a longer expanse of walls. I am afraid that it might end up visually chopping up your walls in the kitchen even more. How about just doing a large grouping of them above the desk in that wall space? You could mix in a decorative wall plaque, perhaps a couple of framed postcards or other pieces of art, and get a nice wall-hung swing-arm lamp to use above the desk. Think about adding some cool handles to the desk in the same brushed nickel, or whatever you kitchen cabinets may have, to add some texture and interest. Before you decide on hanging wall art (or the nice clock), I am a little curious about the furniture placement. It feels a bit like one large circle of chairs. Wondering if you might try the two upholstered chairs with their table and a lamp in the bow window area. Swing the couch around to sit more in front of the wall. Move the recliner and its table to the place where the two chairs were, and move the tv more into the corner. A console table and lamp on the wall to the left of the door would be nice, perhaps a mirror above it, and would bring more lighting into the room. I don't think you need drapery on the bow window. But if you want it, I would mount the rod above the window and hang panels on the outside of the space. Down the road you might think about adding trim around the windows to match what you have around the doors. You have the sills already, but especially on those kitchen windows I think it will really finish the look. By the way, no need to put holes in the walls. Get the Command adhesive hooks and hangers at any home center. They work, don't leave marks, and come in weights and styles that work for almost everything.
    ...See More
  • beausoleil
    15 years ago

I'm with Parma on your chairs. Love the Drexel chairs so much! C absolutely feels frumpy, not fresh and fun. Not sure why I feel that way, as I just adore frenchy style chairs...this one just doesn't seem to fit, though. Maybe I would feel differently if I could see one in a different fabric and finish. Just a thought...I love a chair where I can tuck my legs up under me and read. Not sure you could do that in chair C. That would be a deal breaker for me.

Regarding the buffet, I so would not worry about the velvet lined drawers. If it works and you love it, then you should get it. The finishes you are describing for the buffet sound just gorgeous.
    I'm a huge fan of Aidan Gray's accessories. They are just amazing and the finishes so wonderful. I think you will be hard pressed to get the same gracefulness out of balusters. I have a bunch of them in my garage, and none of them have the same vibe as the ones you pictured above.

Know you are a busy lady. Try to keep us in the loop. I love watching you decorate!

PS...what is going on with your bed? haven't been here for a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Home

• parma42
    15 years ago

Back.

Another thing about chair C is that HW is known for their case goods, not their upholstery. I think that was just an add on a while back.

I looked for D, also, but had no luck.

Really liked those Drexel-Heritage chairs the last time I saw them.

About the TV stand. If you love it and it doesn't put a crimp in other plans, budget-wise, that's a piece that could be repurposed for the rest of your life. Could end up in a dining room, someday. Just make sure you protect the top somehow. I have a piece of felt under our TV and it didn't help, but it's on a Hooker piece that has a lousy finish.

Love the candlesticks.

The one thing that's missing in your 'funky' room is something with fringe. :) I only say that because bullion fringe is a favorite of mine. With the mistake I made on my sofa, and having to move it to the living room, I lost out on my chance to have it. Oh well, maybe on an Ottoman some day.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And I was thinking the only thing missing was an animal print! Now I need to look for fringe too! LOL

Beausoleil - Thank you so much for your input. Isnt Aidan Gray's stuff fabulous? I love a number of his tables-- but I have never seen anything in person. The candlesticks will be a little splurge (esp for candlesticks)but I am hoping that they will help pull the room together-- especially the mirrored mantle wall.

Parma - Thanks for the info on HW upholstery. My heart is telling me no no no on the HW chair... I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't doing the "almost ready to order panic". I think you are so right about the buffet being a piece I can use forever. That's my goal-- I can buy "throwaway" furniture for much less.. but why? It seems so wasteful. True, I am giving up things like a vacation and a new car in favor of furniture but I am thinking (hoping) it is worth it.

So now I have a dilemma. I want to order the WH wing chair and the buffet and leave it at that for now. But I love the drexel chair. Do I just order two and be done with it.. or do I order one and keep my eyes open for another chair to pair with it?

My hesitation with ordering two is that I really wanted to do something fun with that chair and I think that is usually best done with a single piece rather than a pair-- that a single has more impact. I was going to use a bright color or a big pattern or two fabrics with different patterns/colors. I don't know exactly what yet-- but definitely something "different" (though I love the fabric it is shown in too) It is a comfy chair.. but it is a comfy sitting chair not a lounging chair... which leads me to one of my other thoughts. I almost think I'd prefer the Drexel chair in the dining room... or paired with a writing desk.

Do you like the wing chair? I know it is a touch frumpy too but I think the right fabric and the oversized nailheads could be really interesting-- and as I've said repeatedly, I love the way it fits me.

I am off to order the candlesticks now-- I refrained from buying a bracelet today so this is my reward ;)

• parma42
    15 years ago

Wesley Hall has some great chairs. I was browsing through them while trying to locate your armless chair on Home Portfolio, and saw some of them. I like the look of the pic you're showing.

That's yet another thing we have in common. I went with nail heads on my great room sofa. They're supposed to be a little out of favor, but that never stopped me before. :)

I think you can get one of those chairs instead of a set. Then you can keep your eye open for a craigslist or anything else you fall in love with. Never like to be 'done' with a room. It's like getting to the end of a good book, too depressing. For some reason, I just didn't like the HW chair with the DH, (keep some pocket money).

I wish some other people would chime in. It's just as hard to pick out new furniture as to buy craigslist. Actually, it's harder, sometimes, because there are so many choices out there.

• whenicit
    15 years ago

Love the TV Stand. Love the pic of things for your mantle (although I don't know what your mantle looks like). Like the DH chair, but confused, is that in place of the nailhead one or in addition to?

If you go with a solid with the nailhead, will you go with a print for the DH chair (if you pick that one).

Agree with other posters about the other chair choices.

I wouldn't go armless as I don't think that'd be comfortable for real use in a room with a TV.

I really admire your existing armoire. Pretty.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Parma and whenicit!

I don't really know what gets people to respond and what turns them off. I assume my posts are too long or repetitive for all but the diehards to hang with. Maybe I need a little controversy in my posts... a Vote Obama sign slipped into a photo? Whatever ;P. I DO VERY MUCH appreciate your input and thoughts.

Whenicit, the room is long and narrow and there isn't a way to get a good photo of the whole room. The linen/nailhead chair will go on the staircase side of the room and will be primarily a tv watching chair. There will be two chairs on the fireplace side of the room too. One COULD be used to watch tv but the angle is a little off. They would be used for reading, playing games, talking on the phone.. and if I ever find a secretary, I'd do light desk type stuff.

Parma, excellent point about not needing to be finished-- because I never will be. I guess I feel pressure because for so many years I had to table my plans due to work or vet bills or an unplanned move... but if I were finished, I would miss the joy of finding something to add to the room. I'll try to keep that in mind. :)

• User
    15 years ago

I LOVE the nailhead chair!! It looks comfy.

I like the hutch for your TV. I wouldn't worry about the velvet drawers either. Like another poster said you can always use it somewhere else. Plus your dvds will have a comfy place to put their head. :)

I love all the chairs above but think C would probably look best in your room. Wish we could see D. The colors and velvet sound so pretty. I would probably stay clear of that too because it's armless.

Really like those candlesticks. I think I've seen a pic of your mantle before but I can't picture it.

I'm a little confused on the chairs. Did you tell Parma above you weren't going to get the WH chairs Then below you said about wanting to order the wingchair and buffet?

Which Drexel chair are you talking about ordering? I would order one if you want to make a statement. I think they are formal looking now but like you, believe the fabric can make a big difference. I do wonder if the WH would go right paired with the Drexel. Then again, if your mantle is on the other side of the room it might be alright. Guess I'm not being much help!!!

Your Furbaby is cute!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Sheesharee :) That's my old boy, Beau in the pic--he's like a great grandpa at this point.

All these chairs ARE confusing haha. The chair I won't get is the one you like, C (hickory white - HW). I will get the wing chair with big nailheads (Wesley Hall - WH) and probably the Drexel Chair, the one with the rush seat and pictured with the fern fabric. I will keep the darker leather chair and ottoman too .. I have it in the living room with a light green throw and it is ok. When I have enough chairs, I'll move it to my office.

I didn't want to show my mantle pic again because it is sooooooooooo embarrassing (full of crap and the mirror is streaky) but here it is again..

(cringe LOL) The mantel decor is all gone now.. as is (most of)the junk. The firescreen that is too big is still there (it was a gift).. as are the nasty blinds.

I also wondered about the WH wing chair with the others-- and even my sofa-- but I am all about contrasts-- casual with elegant, plain with fancy, jeans and pearls. I am hoping to pull it off. :) I almost think it will be easier with just one carved chair rather than two.

I appreciate your thoughts, Sheesharee.. especially because your style is so different than mine. You will see things differently than I do and that is a help.

• User
    15 years ago

Oops, I had that all messed up!
    I like the other chair just about the same! You only have one brown chair with ottoman and you're keeping it right? It's the one in the first pic? You're getting rid of chair to the right of the fireplace? Isn't the drexel chair about the same size as the one to the right? I don't think that one looks out of place. Where were you going to put the nailhead one?

You've been so helpful with all my posts it's the least I can do and try to help! Don't know how much help I honestly am cause as you can see I don't really know what I'm doing myself!
    I like your style. The only style I can't relate to is contemporary.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am confusing you hahah.. you aren't the first. In fact, you aren't the first today even.

The same leather chair is in both pictures in two different spots. I moved it when I took these pictures. That is the only picture of my mantle other than at christmas when it was all decked out. Whitco was going to take the leather chair/ottoman back.. but I have decided to keep it.

You are right.. the chair to the right is going. I don't care for it even a little bit and it is awful to sit in. The drexel chair is smaller than the the one I am getting rid of-- or well, more accurately, it is proportioned differently. It is 40" high but the seat is lower. It is wider but not as deep.

• beausoleil
    15 years ago

While I mentioned above that I love the Drexel chair, I, personally, would have a hard time laying out all that money at once for the furniture. I think that if you have the time (I do, but maybe you don't...or you could put organic smallhome on the case. She finds the best chairs, LOL!), I would prefer to look for a pair, or a mismatched pair, that go well together from Craigslist or a consignment shop or something. You could either have the pieces re-upholstered or slipcovered if they don't go with your look. I am a huge proponet of custom made slipcovers, especially since you have animals and lots of fur flying around. Another benefit is that you can eventually have additional slipcovers made to change the look. (grammar fanatics...sorry for the horrible run on sentences)

I love the leather chair and the buffet. I think if you get those ordered and in your space, then you can sit back and evaluate where you want to go next; whether it's a rug, the chairs, coffee table, or whatever. I know you want the room pulled together, but if you end up not liking the chairs in your space, that is an expensive mistake. If once you get the other items in the room and you still want the chairs, you can always order them later. Will they let you bring one home for the weekend to see how it feels and looks in the room? Just a thought.

Also...have you checked out the Wisteria Catalog? They have some Aidan Gray type candle sticks in there at a much more reasonable price. They might be more curvy or italianate than what you are looking for, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Home

• parma42
    15 years ago

Funky, tell me why you hate the chair on the right.

If you only want to get one of chair B, can't you just keep it for a while? Add a throw and/or a pillow to it that picks up whatever fabric you will have on the new chair.

From here, it looks kind of British Colonial. I like the arms on it.

Or you could keep the leather chair and add something else larger to the other corner, like a floor lamp, to balance out the sizes.

You have years to finish that room and I'd hate to see you give up a vacation for a seldom used chair. :) But of course, travel is #1 in my book.

Part of jeans and pearls is a few lesser items thrown in with the glorious.

Believe me, when you start adding a new rug and other things to the room, the price tag will keep escalating.

I have to leave in a few hours (Dad stuff, :( ) but I'll keep checking in.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Hey Funky, I wasn't trying to pile on about the new furniture and was writing my response at the same time as beausoleil.

If you want to do the whole room, right away, I'll be right here cheering you on. As it turns out, if we would have waited one more year to buy our house, I'd be doing the same thing. We could have saved so much money with better timing.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We all have some weird synchronicity thing going on. :) I had floated the idea of ordering just the chair and the buffet to my designer/salesperson yesterday and she poopoo'd me-- of COURSE LOL. She's a salesperson. I am comfortable ordering those two pieces.. everything else is giving me anxiety. So I'll stop where I am comfortable.

I feel SO good about this decision. Funny, I made it yesterday but I needed someone to validate it or confirm it before I embraced it. I am not usually in need of support-- but decorating is so not second nature to me. I question everything. THANK YOU

As I have already said, breaking up the dark leather chair with a throw and pillows has helped it to fit into the room. The chair on the right is interesting looking-- with a BC feel which is why I ordered it.. but the finish is very cheap looking (I could rough it up and glaze or paint it) but the real deal breaker for me is that the seat is very deep and the back leans backward-- even with pillows it is very uncomfortable. Is it a necessary chair? No.. not usually. I can work with it for now-- but solely as a decorative piece.

So I guess now I will focus on tables and lamps and wt. You have NO idea how bad the lighting is in here. It would make most of you shudder LOL. I actually *like* being in low lighting and I hate shopping for lamps/shades. I also hate dealing with WT. I am clueless.

I have also been on the scout for a secretary that will fit on one side of the fireplace. That will be a fun project. I definitely plan to get one from CL, ebay or a consignment store.

I'll paint the staircase wall when I have a better idea of my colors. I loved the pumpkin color Squirrel PS'ed but that hinges off of the rug-- which will be replaced in the next 6 months or so. I think I should be able to commit to a color when I have more of the accessories in place.

I am going to check out the wisteria site-- thank you so much for the tip, Beausoleil. I put 5 aidan gray candlesticks in my cart and the total made me choke. I went to the aidan gray site and found other candlesticks-- some of which cost 300 for ONE.

I really like the distressed wood look-- but what do you all think of mercury glass? Or mixing the wood with mercury glass? This was my original plan-- to work WITH the mirror rather than fighting it.

OK well I wrote a long post AGAIN.. thank you so much for calming my nerves and guiding me. I can't tell you how much it has helped.

(and I didn't forget about your question about my bed--I'll post separately about the bed.. but I am waiting for a hem-stitch duvet to arrive before I take photos)

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Funky, I love your new sofa with the four legged friend on it!! It does look alot like mine(even with the doggie on it:)

For a cheaper rug - what about a seagrass one?

Love the console & very much like the idea of the softer finish - with the grays, taupes, silvers you mentioned.

Chairs - love the B choice but worry about them being kinda big. I do like the look of slipper chairs, thou - with a small round table in between them.

Wonder what it would look like if you wallpapered the mirror in some really cool wallpaper & trimmed it would like a frame??

I love all your choices - that chest by the sofa is gorgeous!!

And, love love those Aidan Gray candlesticks - they are divine.

I also like the idea of linen for slipper chairs & a linen for your nailhead chair but with a classic or even kinda funky print - maybe funky print since it is such a traditional chair.

Smiles:)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Parma, please don't apologize.. as you see from my post it was just what I needed. I didn't feel piled on at all.. and now I feel MUCH relieved. I am certainly not rolling in money.. I do have the means to buy the furniture now but there are so many other ways to use that reserve... in the room and out. Normally, I'd be much more inclined to spend it on art, travel, or my family.

And, as you know, I have other rooms in the works too-- and I would so love to replace my DR table.

On an unrelated side note, I would like to send you a PM-- I hope you don't mind.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Send away. I'd love to hear from you!

Have to go to Rockford in a couple of minutes so I won't be able to respond until I get back. :)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Johnatemp, thanks so much for your reply-- I too noticed that our sofas are similar and I loved how yours looked in your room. If I remember correctly, they are different brands but def similar styles (mine is leathercraft.. is yours BY?). I do worry a little bit about the size of the WH wing chair but it is a low chair (it is actually a different style than pictured but I wanted to show the large nailheads). I don't have high ceilings and the scale of the fireplace is rather low. I can't walk away from that chair though. It speaks to me-- and with the large chest (which I am stuck with), I think a larger chair is required.

I was supposed to go look at fabrics for the chair today but my day has slipped away from me (Hanna is hitting the midatlantic and I've spent this gray day drinking coffee and shopping online). WH has many beautiful options-- I am sure I'll find something cool. I pulled out a faux bois pattern that I love but it might be too busy. I really only looked at a handful (literally) of fabrics out of a whole wall.

I hadn't thought about wallpapering the mirror-- but I have definitely been considering framing it. It won't be a small cost though so I'd like to go down the path of decorating the mantle first.

I LOVE the look of seagrass rugs but i'd like something that is warmer for the winter and softer for sitting/laying. The dogs and my nieces and nephews are often on the rug. I am keeping my eyes open for something-- but with two pretty sick dogs (one is very old and the other has cancer), I am not going to replace the current rug soon (this rug is very new-- the one in the picture is the small rug, I have a bigger one in the same style there now)

Thanks again for your input-- your FR is one of my inspirations. :)

• User
    15 years ago

Glad you decided to wait on ordering everything at once. You sound much more at peace about that decision. That would be lousy to spend a ton of money on stuff and then realize you should've done this or that. Especially since this stuff isn't cheap. I about spit out my drink when I read the $300 for a candlestick. I think mixing the wood with mercury glass will look nice. Cant wait to see you new pieces of furniture!

• abundantblessings
    15 years ago

If you're still able to send the brown leather chair and ottoman back, would you? If not, move it to your office cuz it's just not working very well with the sofa although I can imagine the colorful throw helps. I don't think its lines are nearly as nice as the leather nailhead chair & ottoman which is your perfect fit. I'd definitely get that one in leather as shown and not linen which won't wear as well, and order the buffet/tv stand. Put the nailhead where the current brown chair is. The other chairs can wait until you find the right ones although your July posts showed some great chairs and you found what sounds like a fun leopard print which I think would look great on the striped French (#2 in the July post). If you get the buffet and chair in a soft black and bring in some black touches by the fp, you'll need to paint the stairwell wall in a happy color that can be picked up in pillows, art and other accessories.

I like the idea of a secretary, reading chair and floor lamp but you'll only have room for that plus one large chair by the fp. I'd put the secretary on the wall to the side of the short window, a coordinating wood short bookcase below the window with a desk chair in front of the open dropped leaf-secretary. Then that area could be used for your laptop instead of your coffee table. I'd place a table lamp on top of the short bookcase to the left of the fp and a floor lamp behind the leopard chair to the right of the fp. Black shades lined in gold always give a great light and will balance the black fp screen. Ebay usually has some wonderful antique secretaries.

If you can get two leaded (preferred) or stained glass (in colors which mimic the stair wall) inserts the size of the small window you can put shutters below and keep the one under the short window closed to camouflage that the window doesn't match. The other shutter, with the French chair and ottoman to the left of the fireplace could logically remain open during the day as a source of reading light or closed @ night. The large window can just have a sheer over the blinds if you need them at all or you can add drapes if you like curtains.

A small tufted leather backless bench with small nailheads in front of the fireplace might be nice. It needs to be at least as wide as the screen but you probably don't have room for that if you get an ottoman with the French chair. If you like a bench in front of the fireplace you could consider one of the recliners where the bottom is more open instead of the French chair & ottoman. Lazy-Boy has the Nora although that doesn't have the curved French lines you prefer. I haven't search for others but I know you can find one if you go that route. If you add the bench, you can place a small rectangular rug in front of the fireplace perhaps in a muted jaguar print to coordinate with the chair but not compete with your oriental by the sofa.

Consider a beveled glass topped oval in front of the sofa. I'd keep the base very simple. That shape will work better than round, show of your pretty rug below and give some airiness which the room needs.

When I first saw your fp I thought your mirror needed a frame. Mirror Mates is one option, art frames another, but a large white trim mounted around the mirror with matching mantle and surround over brick face might be just the ticket to make that end of the room wonderful. You can put a metal colored art liner (brass if you go with the gold lined black lampshades) between the trim and mirror to give a little oomph. If you don't want to gussy up the brick, you can find large framed art at resale shops for dirt cheap which is worth getting just to have the frame. I really think before I spent $300 for a candlestick or other mantle accessories I'd add a nice mantle & surround to give weight to that end of the room.

Add a large framed painting or print over the sofa, hang the prints by the large chest, add a tall palm and you've got the basics done. You can always have fun accessorizing the mantle and tops of the chest, etc as the whim hits or seasons change.

Hope this doesn't just confuse you more but I can really see this working.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, it doesn't confuse at all.. and much of it follows along the lines I was thinking at various points.

The leather chair is definitely not a long-term option. I went into the furniture store yesterday intending to buy the chair you are referring to -- but the designer/salesperson talked me out of it in favor of the french chair we all agreed will not work. I have decided to address a few other areas of the room before I decide on the chairs. What I like about the chair you like is that it has the french lines but it is somewhat primitive/rustic. I think it is a good fit for my home.. but I am not ready to commit to the chairs yet.

I have looked into mirror mates-- it's such a great option but I am concerned that the thickest ones arent thick enough to achieve the look I want--and they are expensive for the lengths I'd need. It isn't off the table but I wanted to check out my options locally-- at architectual salvage and the big box stores and establish the tone of the room first. Even with the frame though, I will need to add height and weight to the mantle. It is very low.

My reasoning for doing the mantle first is that right now it is empty. I hated my mantle treatment and cleared it all off and sold the prints in a garage sale. While candlesticks I like are not cheap, they are not the $300 ones. (I assume aidan gray is offering a budget line through smith and hawkins-- because they are 80-100 a piece). I do need something there for now-- and I expect that whatever I use now will continue to work when I add the frame.

I am pretty sure I don't want to cover up the fireplace brick-- and I am not yet embracing the gold/brass trim on the fireplace frame. I do like touches of gold and silver but I also like a rustic look. I guess I was more picturing a frame that is detailed but distressed--and maybe with some silver/gold highlights painted on. I'll keep thinking on it.. it is a really interesting idea.

I do have prints, paintings and photographs for the walls--I will need to buy at least one or two new pieces, I think but I was waiting until I had more of the room done before framing/reframing or hanging anything. I had planned to hang three artistic/emotive photographs over the sofa but I am concerned that they will be too busy. Unfortunately there is an air vent on the wall so whatever I come up with needs to cover that spot. That means a huge piece of art or a grouping.

I love your unique ideas and I am going to think on them longer. Thank you so much for the time and thought you've put into my room.. and most especially for your unique perspective.

• abundantblessings
    15 years ago

You're welcome.

We have lots of primitive and ethnic art so I can appreciate your wanting to stay true to your more rustic preference. I think you can easily achieve that with an interesting salvaged frame for the mirror whether or not you choose to add a gold fillet. I like the idea of burnished metal highlights if you can find interesting molding or trim and make your own frame.

It's worth trying your grouping over the sofa. As long as they're compatibly matted and framed, it shouldn't be too busy at all.

Have fun!

• User
    15 years ago

Funky - This may not be your thing but just saw this chair on CL. I think it's a pretty blue. Probably is too formal though...

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's a really interesting chair.. but not a good fit for my house. I prefer simple lines (curved but simple) and natural fibers .. I think that's why the D chair above doesn't work for me.. it's too detailed and fussy.

I did see one on that I thought about checking out-- but it's not the kind of chair I need. It's probably too simple for you .. but I figured I'd share it with you anyhow.

• parma42
    15 years ago

$50.00 ??? That would go for over $200 in Chicago.

Somebody buy it!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was surprised by the price also-- and well, I was surprised that it wasn't broken or nasty and $200 based on what I have seen on CL lately.

Anyhow, I bought it this morning ;)
    (sorry, Sheesharee.. I hope you weren't interested after I suggested it to you and then snatched it away. I stink. )

• parma42
    15 years ago

I am so glad you bought that. Just love the carving at the base of the seat.

It's really a nice looking chair!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Parma! I like the carving too.

I am not thrilled with the purple plaid but it looks like a good candidate for a first DIY reupholstery project.

• User
    15 years ago

OMG, I love that chair!! usually don't care for plaid. Maybe it's the shape of the chair that got me. Glad you bought it though as I don't have anywhere to put it! Good price!!

Let's see it!!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Now I feel bad all over again. See how I am? Show it to you then SNATCH it away!

I don't usually like plaid either-- and well, I will recover it .. eventually.

I'll pick it up later this week.. I had work to do today and I am out of town tomorrow. I'll post pics.

• User
    15 years ago

Ha seriously don't feel bad. DH is about fed up with me and CL. :) I'm finally about out of room for furniture so I don't usually even look anymore.

Can't wait to see your pics! Are you going to still get the drexel chair?

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am going to take my time deciding on the chairs for the fireplace wall. I do still like the drexel chair, and it is still in the running. As is the chair abundantblessings mentioned from one of my previous posts (it was one I walked into the store thinking I'd buy last Thurs.. but the designer/salesperson didn't think it was a good choice).

I am not picturing the CL chair in the LR.. but we'll see.
    Since I am going to recover it, I have lots of options on where I'll use it.

• User
    15 years ago

That's the chair you were going to buy? What did the designer like about it? I like it too and think it looks really comfy.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

She thought the style was too boxy to pair with the drexel chair and that it didn't bring in enough of the french curves she knows I like.

The more I think about the whole room, I think these are a better pairing for the rustic quasi-elegant look I am shooting for though. I wish I could see it in other fabrics/finishes.. I am having a hard time picturing it in something other than the striped cheetah (BTW Drexel Heritage has a great program to allow you to change the fabrics/finishes.. this is Hickory White though). I also wish I could sit in them.. they are not on the showroom floor.

I do know that I want exposed wood on the fireplace chairs-- but other than that, I am all over the place still. More reason to wait on that decision.

I am also thinking that I could use the Drexel chair elsewhere-- dining room or bedroom-- but the new CL chair will likely go to one of those spots (or my office).