SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

I need some decorating input, rearranging? pictures

TxMarti
13 years ago

This is the living room. We hope to get approval soon to begin a dining room addition, and we'll give the kitchen a facelift at the same time. When we do all that, we'll enlarge the door beside the fireplace - widening to about the middle of the table with a conversation bar wrapping around the wall.

I just moved the wall unit and reclining chair in there today and had the chair on the other side of the loveseat, angled toward the fireplace, but it really blocked access to the room from the front entry. I put a plant stand with a candle on it behind the chair to see what something tall would look like there, maybe a couple of tall wooden candlesticks?

The room just looks lopsided to me right now. Could be it's just the lack of curtains, end tables, and pictures, but it's probably that the seating is at one end and so much wood at the other end. I can't see a way around it, unless I split up the wall unit.

The dining table will not be in the room once the dining room is finished. The only things that have to stay in the room are the double-recliner-loveseat, the small table between the two doors, the picture on the fireplace, the clock, the 3-piece wall unit, and the blinds. I can put the chair back in the den, though I'd rather it be in the living room unless it's just too big or too, I dunno, blue. ;) I'm not opposed to painting the brick (I hate the color of it now), but it will have to be a faux that looks like another natural brick color because dh doesn't like painted brick.

What I'd like is furniture arranged so people in there can have conversations with people in the kitchen. I'd like full length curtains, even though it is close to the fireplace. We never use the fireplace for anything except candles.

Now the really hard parts. The last two photos are pictures dh wants in the room. I really, really dislike these pictures and have been trying to talk him into putting them in his office instead, but he's holding out for the living room. If I have to have them in here, I'll put them in different frames because these are rough cut, rustic type frames.

Also, I want a rug under the seating, both to keep the floor from getting scratched, and to bring in another color or colors. But... my fil has Parkinsons and could trip over a rug, especially if the corner turns up any.

None of the end tables I have are small enough to go between the loveseat & chair or between the loveseat & door as the furniture is now. I'd have to get something really narrow, or use just a floor lamp.

Any ideas with these limitations?

Pictures from the front entry and going clockwise around the room. I hope these aren't too big.

{{gwi:1540884}}

{{gwi:1540886}}

{{gwi:1540888}}

{{gwi:1540890}}

{{gwi:1540892}}

{{gwi:1540894}}

{{gwi:1540896}}

{{gwi:1540897}}

Comments (17)