SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

I need a new rug for my living room!

User
15 years ago

Thanks to Camille, my elderly cat who peed my last rug to death. And while I'd love to have a really nice rug (a la My3dogs - I love her rugs!), we just leanred that my DH is going to be having some upcoming dental work for which we'll be out-of-pocket, and my budget is very limited right now. I can't really afford to spend more than about $150 at the very most, and I need to find a halfway decent 5 x 7 rug. And no, I really don't want to wait until I can afford something better. I want it now! ;-) I've been looking online (a lot!) and have found a few polypro rugs that, while not top-quality, will give me what I'm currently seeking: warmth underfoot for approaching Fall temps! I'm drawn repeatedly to rugs that are red, although I'm not purposely trying to match my curtains. Anyway ... here's a pic of my living room (showing the now-deceased rug that used to be there), and a couple of rugs that I'm considering. I've also changed the coffee table in this room - in place of the rectangular table there is now a round oak table with more of a cottage feel. What do you think - would a red rug give red overkill in this room? (By the way, the sofa seems to read a bit more red on my monitor than it actually is. It's brown.)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Possible contenders:

{{!gwi}}

This one would, of course, be in the 5x7 rectangular shape and not round:

{{!gwi}}

Or what about green?

{{!gwi}}

I do have something of a "different" feel going on in my house, as I've combined cottage style with a Mexican/southwest vibe. I don't think I like the idea of a southwest style rug on the floor in this room though.

Comments (48)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The more I look at that green rug, the more I'm liking it. My adjoining dining room is painted in Laura Ashley Olive No. 6 - very deep green. Would the green rug help tie the two rooms together?

• parma42
    15 years ago

I've given you a link to a clearance rug site. Their inventory changes quickly but their prices are unbelievably low.

Don't know if this rug would work for you but it's indicative of the deals they have. It's wool, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clearance rugs

• Related Discussions

I need help with some ideas for my new living room...

Q

Comments (10)
    Maybe you aren't as creative as you would like to be, but you probably know what you like and what you don't like. So that's why you should get a bunch of magazines and on-line pictures to start seeing what speaks to you and what doesn't. We now know that you don't want orange. What other colors don't you want/what colors do you love? Do you have a Calico Corners or JoAnn's nearby? Try browsing the fabrics and figure out what and colors and patterns you like: stripes/plaids/polkadots/floral? This is where you can start, and then we can work from there.
    ...See More

I need to add color to my boring living room. New build

Q

Comments (28)
    A statement art piece above the fireplace would be a natural focal point. Try picking at least one color from the artwork and repeating it in details around the room. Also resist the urge to choose an art piece that lines up with mantel edges. Use a piece that is narrower or wider to ensure that the artwork is a feature and not just an extension of the fireplace.
    ...See More

Color coordination / Which area rug with my new living room?

Q

Comments (9)
    I don't think the top rug is going to work with your floor AT ALL, at least if the colors I'm seeing are halfway true. The gold in the rug is just going to make the floor look purple. The second rug is a maybe, as it has a variety of colors including some cooler tones.
    ...See More

Need help with choosing new area rug and chair for living room

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I like the idea of some blue in the rug to pull from the photo above the fireplace, but I couldn't seem to find the right blue. A lot of the carpets had too bright of a blue. I'm limited to choices though because I'll only order from somewhere that has a store in my area where I can easily return the rug if I don't like it. I've decided to give this Safavieh carpet a try, I have it on order. I'm hoping the pattern and texture will provide enough interest. I'll work on the chair after that. I wonder if a chair with blue in it will still work if I get this carpet? I can tie the chair in by adding a few more toss cushions to the couch with blue in them and a couple of blue accessories throughout the rest of the space.
    ...See More
  • lyfia
    15 years ago

Auntjen - Target and Walmart might have some of the same material for good prices. I have one I bought at Walmart while waiting for an oil change that I've had for 5 years now and it is still going strong although I'm getting tired of it. I think I paid $89 for it and it is a 5x8. If you went to either at least you could see the color in person first.

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

I love the green one.

Joann

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

Hmm, I have to say, I'm not feeling any of those rugs. I'd like to see one that has some of that dark gold in it (from your wall color). I know this isn't very helpful because it's not the size you're looking for, but these colors would be great!

Here is a link that might be useful: rug

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Awwww, that was a sweet rug. Bad kitty!

Jen, have you considered FLOR squares that are washable and can be moved around and reused in a different place later on? I know they don't have the same beautiful designs, but you can pick them up and wash them in the sink or bathtub. Might be a good thing...

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's just one colorful idea..

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for the links and ideas thus far! Parma, there are some amazing deals on that site! I'm going to keep checking back there - it does look like things are constantly changing!

Lyfia, I had thought about checking at Target - I briefly perused their website yesterday - but hadn't thought about Walmart. I did check their site, but didn't find anything that really made my heart sing. I do know that a lot of times what's online is different than in the stores though, so maybe I'll go have a look at the big box stores in person.

Joann, the green one is sweet, isn't it? It has kind of a simple cottagey look that I had in mind - I do sorta wish it had some red in it though.

Sue, that rug you linked to is gorgeous! I do see what you mean about bringing in the deep gold. I love that color combo!

Amy, those Flor squares are super cool! I don't think that even I'd be bold enough to do this, but isn't this terrific?
    {{!gwi}}

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

Jen, can't give you any advice about the rug except to look at HD and Lowe's.

I love the 'bookends' on the sofa. Sooooooo exquisetly placed! LOL

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

I'm not that fond of the rugs pictured, so I'm glad you will continue to shop!

Your house is amazing! So, so cute! It should be in a magazine. You are an artist, auntjen!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aw, thanks Stinky! :-)

Patty_cakes, I had thought I'd check out those places as well. And ah yes, the "bookends"! My sofa cushions are permanently imprinted with the shape of little tabby-cat bodies!

I wonder if I should go back to considering a braided rug for the LR again?

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm sorry you guys - I'm obsessed with this!

What do you think about this one? It's $50 above the limit I'd set for myself, but it is wool. I think it's very pretty.

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

Braided rug is a cute idea, but the second one is fabulous! The colors say "southwest" while the pattern says, "vintage cottage"... just the combo you've got going on! It's so vibrant & appealing it's hard for me to stop looking at it!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know! I'm soooo excited! They're offering a 15% discount on this rug and shipping is free, so it would only be $174! I think I have to have it. Don't you? ;-D

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

$174.00? Yes! It would be a great deal for much more $, because it's so perfect for your house. Where did you find it?

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just stumbled across it at Select Rugs (linked below). I ordered it! I'm thrilled, and just hope it looks half as good in my room as I think it will. It's going to be busy, but I like a lot of pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Select Rugs

• teacats
    15 years ago

I know I'm late to the party ------ but IF circumstances ((and cats)) dictate the need for another rug -- don't forget to check out the selection at Garden Ridge -- thats where I got my kitchen rugs (under the table and a smaller one under the kitchen island)

Jan

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

AJ. if the rug you ordered doesn't work out, the ones below look extremely cool. Scroll all the way down to the bottom -- there's one with lots of green and gold in it, and I can really see it in your house.

Here is a link that might be useful: recycled-poly rugs

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

Love the one you ordered! Great find!

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

Aw Jen, I love the braided rug and think it's the perfect thing for your decorating style, including the colors.

When I saw the one you posted I immediately thought 'Victorian' because of the Roses. It's very pretty, but I can't seem to visualize it in your room. I hope it works since I know how much you(((love)))it. ;o)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again to everyone! Walkin, I saw those recycled rugs yesterday and thought they were really cool too! Hmmmm ... maybe I need one for the bedroom. ;-D

Patty_cakes, I can see what you mean about the roses possibly leaning towards a Victorian feel, but what you probably can't make out clearly in the photo is that I have touches of roses elsewhere in the room. My comfy reading chair is patterned with roses, as are several of my throw pillows. I think it'll work -- at least I hope I'm right. :-)

• User
    15 years ago

Jen - I really like the last one with the roses. Think the colors would work really well!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I learned yesterday that the rug I ordered (the one w/the roses) is on backorder. So, impatient fool that I am, I go back to perusing Craig's List to see if anything has shown up since I last looked. There's a new listing for a rug that is 10' x 6'4". The rug I've ordered is 7'6" x 5', so there's a fairly significant size difference (for my small room), but I think the larger rug might work. The colors are a bit off on my monitor. The seller says they are red, burgundy, cream & navy predominantly. Given that this isn't exactly "southwest" in style, do you think I could get away with it in my room? It is wool, seller claims it's in excellent shape, and said she paid $500 for it at auction (where it was said to be "worth" $1,200). She's asking $200. Would anyone have the time (or inclination) to photoshop it into my room?

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Thought maybe your new rug had arrived, so just happened to see this:

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Squirrel!!! I wish the seller had provided a better pic. The navy looks purple to me, and I doubt that it is in person. This is a departure from the rug I have on backorder, but I think I kinda like it! To me it's more of a true classic style. I like that it contains the blue, since so much of my artwork also has blue tones (not that I think art should match the furnishings, but you know - it doesn't hurt to harmonize!). Looks like there's a touch of gold in the rug as well. I just don't know about that larger size. I can't wait to get home and measure! If it works, I think I'm going for this CL rug, and will cancel my backordered rug.

What do you guys think?

• teacats
    15 years ago

Go for it! What a steal at that price!

Jan

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

You're welcome : ) You're right, it does have some purple to it. Here's toning it to what it might be more like irl, with the low light that's there, though who knows. I don't usually like to tone them down or alter the colors too much as they might be brighter than that. I like the darker version better.

The rug does look more a red and your curtains burgundy?

{{!gwi}}

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I don't think you could go wrong with the CL rug. It's a classic. Jump in the car, girl!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Arrrrgh! I just called DH at home and had him measure for me, to see if he thought the "new" rug would work. He says it would come to within about a foot of the wall that the front door is on (top pic in this thread), and to about a foot of the wall on the other side of the room, where the archway is that opens into the dining room on the other side. You can just kinda barely make out in the second photo I posted on this thread the display cabinet that sits against that wall. DH says that the rug would come right up to that piece. That's basically filling the whole room in front of the sofa. Would that look funny? I'm working myself into a tizzy over this -- I want it to work, DH can't really give me a good opinion one way or another (he said, "well, you'll have half a chair and half a table sitting on the rug against the one wall" -- but aren't at least the front legs of pieces supposed to be on the rug? Maybe I should just suddenly develop a "massive migraine" so I can check out of work early and go home and measure for myself. ;-D

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, thank you, Squirrel! (Again! ;-)) That really helps tremendously. Ooooooh, I love this rug! My curtain panels are not quite as burgundy as they appear in my pics. Just a very deep red. I think they'd blend fine with the rug. There's just that dang size issue. How close to walls is too close when it comes to a rug? Is 10' x 6'4" an odd size?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

That does sound like an odd size. So, then I guess the area in front of the door will be open, to see some wood? Not the entire room covered? Can you bring it home on trial? You could even relist it. For $200, I'd store it : )

In Europe, they don't use the rug placement rules like we do, they're all over the place and look fabulous. I wouldn't worry about that too much unless it just looks funny and you can't work around it somehow. Sounds like your conversational area will be grounded in rug, which is nice and the perfect size! I guess the medallion might be in an odd location? if that matters.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooooh, hadn't thought about the medallion placement, but good point! I could maybe pull the rug up under the couch a bit if the centering looked off. My current coffee table is a round pedestal style (the rectangular one in the pic is gone), so that might help to draw the eye away from any discrepancy with the center rectangle. Maybe.

You're right about how they don't use the hard & fast rug placement rules in other countries, and yes, it's really not even noticeable. Since I had ordered the 5x8 rug (actually it's 5' x 7-something), I was wondering if perhaps that would be a bit small for the room. I guess an ideal size would be what I have in our den, 6x9 -- but it must stay put. For $200, I'm wondering if I could use it elsewhere if it doesn't work in the LR. Maybe in the DR. Oh gosh, I'm just so worried that somebody else will snatch it up before I have a chance to decide!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Ask if you can pick it up on your way home to try it on. Or go in realizing you might have to relist or store it for a while until another rug wears out : )

With a table covering part of the medallion, it might not even be noticeable, just color.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is a case of "never let a DH give his decorating opinion to you over the phone" after asking him to measure something. ;-) I measured, and I think the rug will fit the furniture layout in the room perfectly. Going to look at it (and hopefully bring it home!) in just a few minutes. Will post pics later if possible!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got it! And I love it -- although I wasn't able to get very good pics of it. (The lighting in this room at night is the pits!) The last pic came out very much like the pic that the woman posted on Craig's List - with the blues looking much more purple than they are. There's no purple in the rug at all, so I'm just not sure why the camera's picking it up as such. Anyway, just had to show that it does fit just fine in my room! I kinda feel like we "stole" this from the woman. It's worth a lot more than the $200 I paid her (and I wasn't about to offer her any less! ;-)).

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• abundantblessings
    15 years ago

It's perfect!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! The cats are all on top of it, breaking it in as I type. Two have been fighting on it, one has used it as a scratching post and then butt-scooted on it, and no doubt another will have thrown up on it by morning. Ahhhhh ... yep, this rug has truly "come home." ;-D

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Gee that looks great! So much for it filling the whole room : ) What a deal.

• anele_gw
    15 years ago

LOVE it! It is just perfect. What a happy ending!

• funkyart
    15 years ago

It's perfect.. and lovely!

I love how this worked out-- I know you were bummed when the other rug was out of stock but this is soooooo much better!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much you guys! (Will you think I'm a nutcase if I tell you that I got up in the middle of the night and moved downstairs to the sofa to sleep, so I could "be near" it? LOL!)

• User
    15 years ago

It looks great!!! Haha I'll admit when I buy something I really love I'll just sit and stare at it.

What about the other rug that's on back order?

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going to cancel that order. I still love the rug, but now don't have anywhere to use it.

I do need to figure out what to do about the old floor furnace grate that's visible in the first photo showing the new rug that I posted. I've had an old throw rug covering it which looks awful with the new rug, so I guess I'll just look for a throw rug that blends better. The floor furnaces are gone (we had central heat installed after we moved in), but unfortunately the hole in the floor is still there. I can't even imagine having it patched with wood floor, as I think that would come out looking strange -- just don't know what to do! Darn old house with its antiquated leftover fixtures!

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

oh, auntjen, I love your CL rug that you picked out. And such a good price at $200. It goes perfectly with all of your furniture. And you ever where able to center the medallian. There is nothing like a brown leather sofa to showcase a great rug.

• nthemdl
    15 years ago

LOVE that last picture of the rug in your room, it looks great. I had to laugh when I saw the first pic of your kitties on your leather sofa, that looks like my house!! This quote summed it all up for me, as it is our life!

"Two have been fighting on it, one has used it as a scratching post and then butt-scooted on it, and no doubt another will have thrown up on it by morning."

• abundantblessings
    15 years ago

Jen, it's not a lot of trouble to patch the non-functioning furnace area. One box of matching Bruce or whatever brand comes closest will cost $60 or so plus the cost of labor. In our area, working directly with an installer and not through a store, I'd expect to about $125 -150 in labor.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Really? Wow - I definitely need to check into that then! I've also just emailed my dad, who's a big DIY'er, and asked if he thought he could help us with a solution to the "holes" -- there are actually two, one in the LR/DR and one in our den. I'd much rather effect a permanent solution than keep tossing a throw rug over the grates!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL, nthemdl! That's definitely our life too, with seven kitties in the house! I love 'em all dearly, but I swear - some days they just about drive me (and my decorating attempts) bonkers!