SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tom_nwnj

electric motor question

tom_nwnj
17 years ago

This is not really a house wiring question, but you electricians out there probably know a lot about AC motors too.

{{gwi:322401}}
{{gwi:322400}}I was using my old Rockwell Delta table saw to rip some cherry. A board fell on the power cord, knocking it out of the outlet, and damaging the outlet in the process. Looks like I may have have caused a short from the hot or neutral lead to the ground. However the 20amp breaker for that line was not tripped, nor was the reset button on the saw.

I have plugged it into another outlet nearby. I checked the power to the motor with a circuit tester, at a point past the on/off switch, {{gwi:322403}} and past the built-in reset button. The power is on there. I checked it with a line tester (the light bulb goes on).

{{gwi:322405}}The motor is dead. The saw is over 30 years old, but I hope to save it.

I called the Delta fact. auth service center. They told me they cannot get parts for the saw. So they will not look at it. If I can't get it running, I will have to get another saw, but definately not a Delta.

Any easy fixes, or just how to tell what is wrong?

Comments (6)