SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sconway11324

No slots in Panel -- Would tandems make sense?

sconway11324
11 years ago

I have two panels each 200A in my basement. They are both full; each box has 20 slots. I am in the process of buying a 20KW generator for my home and finishing a small unfinished area in the basement.

The unfinished area houses the water heater, sump pump, an extra refrigerator and a furnance; I have breakers for these. I want to add a few more ceiling lights, a ceiling fan, some more outlets to handle a treadmill, a stairmaster, tv, and radio.

I am assuming that I will need to add some breakers to satisfy these new things.

Question1, can I replace some of the breakers for tandems to make room for any other "wishes?" My box says that I can use tandems in almost all spots.

Also, will I need anything special to connect my generator (I will have an electrician do it but I want to educate myself so I don't get ripped off). I will have an automatic transfer switch.

Question2, if I can combine breakers, how can I calculate the true load on each braker to prevent from tripping? I have many breakers with the same reference - i.e., Kitchen/Dining Room (3 breakers of 20A/120V each)

thank you for your help!

Comments (7)