SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wowibrug

Making sense of electrical estimates?

wowibrug
15 years ago

I am about to finish my basement and have run into a problem with electrical estimates. The home was built in 1926. Knob & tube wiring is partially replaced. We currently have 100 amp service. Basement will have wet bar, including large fridge, dishwasher, disposal, and microwave.

DH travels for work a lot, so he left a list of our electrical needs. (As you might have already guessed, I am utterly unqualified to talk about electrical issues.) I gave the following information to 2 electricians:

---------------------------------------

1. Install new circuit box with space to accommodate new basement circuits. Would like to save breakers--use same type of box but bigger? Currently their is only one open circuit (breaker is installed in position, but no connection made)

a. Some circuits will be freed for re-routing. There are currently 3 (possibly 4) 20 amp circuits in use for basement lighting, workshop, storage room, and bathroom.

b. Circuits are required for basement general usage and at least one 20 amp circuit is needed for garage.

c. Note: A/C compressor is on interruptable service. Does not come inside to panel for power.

2. Run one or two 20 amp circuits to garage. Requires a buried cable from house to garage.

3. Provide a rough plan/schematic for basement circuit layout

a. That is provide a rough layout of all circuits needed for basement (how many plugs per circuit, does the bathroom require a stand alone circuit 15A or 20A, how many lighting circuits are required, etc.)

b. Current plan is to leave knob and tube in place for existing 1st floor and 2nd floor circuits, but all knob and tube circuits will be replaced for basement (currently Kitchen and Laundry room are no longer on knob and tube, except for overhead lighting)

----------------

Master Electrician #1 is an independent guy and charges $35/hour + materials. We will have to dig the trench for the wiring to the garage, and he is also unwilling to do a couple of the minor things we asked about(such as replace a stairwell light fixture). He clearly and specifically stated that we do not need a new circuit box; he would just install a subpanel and that would easily cover our needs. He came highly recommended by my dad.

Master Electrician #2 is an employee of a large service provider. I will be using this company for HVAC and plumbing, so it seemed convenient to get an electrical quote from them as well. I had a great rapport with the electrician and loved how he methodically and thoughtfully approached planning our electrical needs in our basement layout. However, he stated that installing a subpanel is not code-compliant and he would not do it. He will charge $1200 to install new 150 amp service. He will complete the rest of our electrical work for an additional $1500 +/-. That includes everything, including coming out to install lighting after the drywall is painted. Besides the lighting, all materials are included.

I'm kind of choking on the cost of installing the new 150 amp service, and have since spoken with DH, our carpenter, and my dad--none of whom are licensed electricians, but all of whom are in many homes and say they see subpanels all the time and they are shocked to hear that subpanels are against code.

If I schedule Electrician #2, I will be into that job for nearly $3K, which is a much greater amount than I had planned. I just hope to hear more educated advice/opinions before making a decision. Thank you!

Thank you!

Comments (11)