SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Does this make any sense?

catherinet
14 years ago

I'm definitely at a disadvantage, not knowing much about electricity or electronics, etc., but this doesn't sound right.

For several years now, when it gets hot in the summer, my TV gets so much interference from around 2p.m-6p.m. that we can't watch it. (on all the TVs connected to the antenna). Now that its digital, we just lose all our signals. But if I turn a certain breaker off, we get all the signals back.

I had a TV guy out today and he insists that its not an electrical thing.........that its not a short in some wiring in our extremely hot attic. He said its a signal issue.

So we're getting a new antenna (ours has several broken arms), a new amplifier (said it could be that its old....13 years), and he's going to raise the antenna up by about 5'.

I'm having a hard time not thinking its an electrical issue. Plus, today after he left, I started to watch a video that I had taped yesterday (and it was fine), but it too was getting really bad interference on it (just like the TV was).

I called him and he said we probably just needed new fittings on our coax.

He wasn't high pressure or anything. And he has nothing bad about him on the BBB website.

I know I'm not an electrical person, but can these strange interferences on the TV be merely a reception issue??

Something I mentioned to him and he discounted was the fact that even a TV we have that is not on a coax to the antenna has all this interference.

I'd be alot more concerned if we didn't probably need these various new things, but I have the feeling I'll have to call an electrician when he's done.

I'll be really happy if he's right......but it just doesn't make sense to me.

What do you think?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida