SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
badin_gw

bath exhaust fan?

badin
16 years ago

We had a Panasonic exhaust fan installed in the master bathroom of a house that we visit every few months, and at the same time had the existing fans extended to vent out the roof. It was common practice here for builders to just vent into the attic. The electricians had trouble with the new fan, and ended up wiring it to the overhead light switch.

Since then, on two visits I've noticed a slight sewer gas sort of odor in that bathroom. This past weekend, the odor was strong some times and not at other times. A plumber came today, but couldn't find anything except a need for fresh caulk at the base of 2 toilets. The odor was not apparent then, but it had returned when I checked a couple of hours later.

There appears to be a correlation between running the new exhaust fan and the smell. Is it possible to install a bath exhaust fan backwards, so that it blows into the room instead of drawing air out? The ceiling is too high for me to feel the fan with my hand, but a dryer sheet held up to the exhaust fan on a pole was not drawn to it, it only fluttered a little. I'm wondering if the exhaust fan outlet on the roof is near enough to the plumbing vent to draw sewer gas back into the house. Does this seem plausible?

Comments (9)