SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thomaspultz

Small Appliance Circuits - How to Split the Receptacles?

Tom Pultz
14 years ago

For our kitchen / dining room / family room remodel I'll be rewiring the two small appliance circuits that originally fed the dining room and kitchen counter receptacles.

Two of the original receptacles on these circuits aren't really located in what I consider to be the dining room or kitchen, although I suppose that is subject to interpretation since they are located near where the old kitchen eating area was. With the new layout they'll really be more in the family room than kitchen.

Is it still OK to use these two receptacles as the starting point for the two small appliance circuits? I don't want to replace the wiring all the way back to the panel in the garage.

As envisioned, circuit #1 will feed three receptacles in the dining room, then two in the kitchen: one below the over the counter micro, and one to the left of the sink.

Circuit #2 will feed a 'hutch' with a receptacle in each of two 'appliance garages', another in the open space between these, and another to the right of the sink.

There will also be three receptacles on the island that contains the gas rangetop.

Which circuit would be best to supply these island receptacles? Circuit #2 will have a potentially shorter line length, but using circuit #1 would split the island and most of the countertop recepectles among two circuits.

As an aside, can I tap off the island circuit and install a receptacle in the cabinet for the gas rangetop ignitor, or does that have to be on its own circuit as Wolf recommends. Seems kind of silly for such a small load.

Thanks for the advice. The dining room, kitchen and family room will all be open to each other with no separating walls.

Comments (5)