SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macgyvers2000

Wiring attached to basement rafters

macgyvers2000
16 years ago

I'm in the process of remodeling, well, the entire house ;) Currently, the majority of the wiring runs just above the main footers for the house, stapled against the basement rafters (essentially all wiring runs along the perimeter of the house). I intend to build in the basement using extruded foam panels, followed by the standard framing with drywall. Once this is done, however, I will no longer have access to the perimeter joists (they're not so easy to get to at the moment, anyway, but that's another story).

In my research, I've found a suggested method of using 2x4s on the joists to give a couple of inches of space between the joists and the ceiling drywall. This space is then used to run electrical and water, stapled directly to the bottom of the joist, in a more direct fashion (rather than always around the perimeter).

My question is this... how do you prevent someone (particularly me) from coming along later and ramming a nail or screw into a now-hidden pipe or wire? When wires run through a vertical stud, you can place a metal plate over the area, preventing such a catastrophe, but I can't very well place a metal plate over an entire run of wire/pipe. I can see myself running wiring like this, putting up drywall on the ceiling, then later coming along and drilling into the ceiling to hang up a surround sound speaker... I either drench myself or light up my life.

Comments (20)