SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jgirl_2007

With all this mattress talk, anyone have a Tempurpedic?

jgirl_2007
16 years ago

DH wants one so badly. He has a bad back and loved the way it felt in the showroom.

Our current mattress is a pillow top, but being 10 years old, its more of a mountain in between two valleys. I'm ready to buy a new one too, well - at the time we move.

Just wondering who can share their stories of their Tempurpedic. Love it? Not what it was cracked up to be? Overrated? Is it hot (just heard it doesn't breath so you can become very hot during the night)? Worth every penny? Not worth it? Help cut down on snorers?

Since it's very pricey, I'd hate to just buy it without hearing other's experiences.

Comments (34)

• mls0520
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We don't have one, but did consider one. While we were headed down that path, we seriously considered buying the Costco version. I remember thinking we would spend about $4000 on the Tempurepedic (king-size), and that the Costco one would be more like $800. Costco's mattress is called Novaform, and you can order them online, although I saw them in the store a few weeks ago. It comes in a vaccuum-packed box that you open and let the mattress "grow"! This version is supposed to be superior to Tempurepedic in that it still has the comfort factor without the heat issue, as it's made out of different material.

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention this, because when we were looking at a $4000 price tag for something we weren't sure about, we thought that for $800 we could try it out and if we weren't happy, we knew for sure that Costco would take it back because of their awesome return policy. Ultimately, DH decided he didn't like the whole "sinking in" sensation and we didn't go that route at all. The memory foam mattresses are just that- you either LOVE it or HATE it. Good luck!

• reno_fan
    16 years ago

I don't know if I could do it. We have a mattress topped with a big honkin' layer of memory foam. I *hate* this mattress. It is hot, and I find it extremely uncomfortable. I don't like that no matter what position I'm in, I sink into the foam. It makes it difficult to move around, as you sort of have to crawl out of the impression.

The only thing I like about the mattress is that it really does absorb motion. I can not tell when DH gets up in the morning, as the bed no longer shakes or moves when he enters/exits. That's nice.

• Related Discussions

Tempurpedic mattress?

Q

Comments (15)
    I know this post is a bit old but wanted to chime in for people currently in the market. First of all even without a huge weight difference between husband and wife (unfortunately I have been catching up over the years) I have found on many occasions that I either roll into my husband or his side of the bed going down causes mine to rise or become uneven. I know the 2 times this was the worst in our 19 year marriage was on our old water bed and on our sleep number bed. The sleep number was the worst bed I have ever owned. We threw it out. We have had our Tempurpedic Celebrity for about 4 years now and we still love it. When we travel the one thing we always say is that we cannot wait to get home to our bed. No other bed is quite the same. That being said I do want to mention 2 items that seem to come out a lot on the memory foam in general and my personal take on it. First issue is the heat. Yes it is a little warmer. I bought the tempurpedic mattress pad and it helped tremendously. My husband who is always hot does not complain ever and we live in phoenix where summer is 105 at night. Second issue is that it does soften up over time. on a cold night it may be hard at first until you lay down, but after a half hour it will be perfect. Now the last thing I want to mention is that I have Fibromyalgia and spend a tremendous amount of time in bed. When I have flareups I may be in bed for 2 days. I find that with my pressure points and the long times in bed I do get a little sore, but again it is because I lay on one side for hours at a time and I am overweight. This is one of the worst things for FM patients is to stay in bed too long but sometimes it is unavoidable. Also we bought this bed because my husband likes a firmer bed than me but since he can sleep anywhere and I am lucky if I sleep at all, he has decided that I win. For this reason we are looking at getting the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme. This is a much softer mattress and I am hoping it will help with the pressure issues. Overall the Tempurpedic is the best mattress ever. If it were not for my FM I would keep the one I have but I currently want a slightly softer one. I would look at their website and make sure to choose the one wiht the appropriate firmness for you.
    ...See More

Does anyone have a Tempur-Pedic mattress?

Q

Comments (21)
    Dedtired, I guess I missed your original comment...would you mind repeating it? (I'm always wondering what I missed...) I'm happy to say that after a serious ''breaking in'', I'm in love with my bed. (Yes, they really do need to be broken in.) It did take a bit of getting used to, but I expected as much, and now I don't want to sleep anywhere else. I will say that the extra pillow top was the thing that made this particular one work best for me, but dlynn, if your son likes the cheapest bed, that's the one he'll be happy with. Remember...they're already broken in at the store, but won't be when it first arrives. (I bought a namebrand, ''Celebrity'' Tempur-Pedic.) Jessy, I'm sorry you're not in love with yours. I suspect it's hard to compromise on...firmness...when two people share a bed. ;)
    ...See More

Anyone got a Tempurpedic mattress?

Q

Comments (10)
    I have one and I hated it the first three months until we "broke it in" Now I LOVE it. It is so comfortable and I never wake up with any aches and pains. That being said, it is a hot mattress in the summer. It retains your body heat, so I find it hot about halfway thru the night. I find this a huge benefit in the winter when my husband likes to sleep with the room very cold. And once the bed is "heated up" it stays so cozy all night. We love our mattress and would never change it. I also rarely use it in the summer as we have a summer home with a regular mattress. My sister bought a tempurpedic and couldn't get thru the three month test period. She sent back after six weeks and hated it. See if you have a friend and spend the night on a broken in one. Or find a place that will let you exchange it if it doesn't work for you. Different strokes for different folks.
    ...See More

My new Tempurpedic mattress is too hot, what can i do?

Q

Comments (2)
    I agree use a thick mattress pad and I also use gel pillows they are cooler. I have started dropping the thermostat in the bedroom and I use a lighter weight comforter. Now that I have figured it out, its great.
    ...See More
  • klinger
    16 years ago

I sell mattresses, and the tempurpedic is one of the brands I sell. As with all beds there are pros and cons. The biggest benefit in my mind of the tempur is that it is a pressure relieving material. My son who has arthritis in his shoulder owns the tempurpedic classic. He also sells beds and has tried all of the other top brands. He wouldn't trade his matt for anything as it is the only bed he can go to sleep on his sore shoulder and actually wakes up in the same spot. Very little pressure points, so a wonderful bed for people with joint issues, and as pointed out above minimal movement as it is such a dense product. I truly believe Tempur is the way to go for memory foam beds, yes it is warmer, but it isn't made in China and so a lot less off gassing than an import which I think is important since I'm laying on it for hours. The warranty on the tempur is a 20 year warranty,with 1/2" body impression, most import products are 1.5" over ten years. It is absolutely a warmer product to sleep on, the foam is four times denser than regular foam, and because you sink into it and don't get restrictions of circulation you will be toastier. Don't recommend this for us gals who get "tropical moments".It is a very supportive product also. If you are interested then purchase it from a company which allows you a trial period. Then if it doesn't meet your expectations you may do an exchange.Beds are a hard thing to purchase if you have issues with your body, go shopping dressed comfortably, and be prepared to spend some time at the store "laying" around.

• rococogurl
    16 years ago

I don't have a Tempurpedic brand but I do have a memory foam mattress -- the one from Room and Board. It's the firmest they make.

There was no off gassing. I don't find it particularly hot. What I can tell you is that I sleep better on this mattress than any other I've had. I don't have joint issues but I do have connective tissue issues - lots of shoulder pain. I'm a side sleeper and sleep on my shoulder which makes it worse.

The bed is in our house. When we go there I sleep through the night and the connective tissue pain -- even exercise aches -- I arrive with is gone after one night on that mattress. I've been using it for 3 years and it's just been terrific.

Our apartment has an extremely good mattress -- a Shiffman -- which costs far more than the memory foam did. I have pain and soreness from the pressure points.

The foam mattress mattress is on a platform bed. Before I purchased it I went to the store and laid down on it for quite a while. I tried the different firmnesses.

I've done the same thing on the Tempur but found it too soft for me -- perhaps it was the wrong firmness.

Beds are complicated to begin with and finding one that works for you isn't easy.

But when the hills and valleys take place, it's time for a change.

Here is a link that might be useful: room & board memory foam

• alifeyl
    16 years ago

We got a new mattress this spring. We tried the Tempurpedic but neither of us liked the feel of it. We ended up getting a Sealy Spring-free foam mattress. I've had foam mattresses in the past and really liked them. I asked DH to try it out, and he loved it - didn't even want to continue shopping. We've had it since April and are both very happy with it so far.
    Ali

• mayland
    16 years ago

We have Tempurpedic and love it. I bought it when I had herniated a disc during labor and was willing to pay anything to help the pain go away! I dont remember how much it was, but nearly 4 yrs later and with the pain gone, I still love it.

I am a Londoner living in Atlanta and I really struggle with the heat/humidity here, but I have not had any problems with the Tempur feeling hot, and we don't use our A/C that much (house is usually at about 80F overnight in the summer).

The only thing that bothers me is that in the cold weather, the mattress feels like a cold rock and takes a little while to warm up and adjust around my body. Maybe only a minute or so though.

We also have the Tempur pillows and love these as well. Definitely the most comfortable mattress I have owned.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

We've had the Novafoam Choices pillows from Costco for a year now. Love them - even gave a pair to my mom last year for her birthday. I just purchased a queen Novafoam pad yesterday. Man, is that box heavy! It's expanding as we speak. Can't wait to sleep on it!

We have a mattress store renting from us that carries the Tempurpedic mattresses. DH tried them out and did not like them at all - he had back/neck surgery 24yrs ago and shoulder surgery as recently as January so he selects them.

I second the suggestions you and your DH try everything out at the store and ask about return policies. Many let you sleep on them for so many days or exchange. It bothers me to think about an "exchanged" mattress. :-/

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

DH and I bought a Tempurpedic after we were in a car accident. We needed a new mattress and I had seen this advertised in magazines for years. We sent for their video and info and decided to buy one. Ours is a double size to fit our antique head and foot boards. We have loved it since the beginning. On our old mattress I used to get numb areas from pressure points to upper leg joint, not any more. It did take a little getting used to, like maybe a week, but now everytime I lie on it I audibly sigh, I just can't seem to help myself. It is a little warm, but I chalk that mostly up to hot flashes and just kick the covers off, pulling them back on sometime later. In the winter it's nice because the bed stays warm for awhile so getting back into bed is comfortable during the night. Since this mattress has no bounce it was a bit hard getting used to for adult activities. : -) Blush, blush.

The only drawback I can see is how heavy it is. Other than that, we love ours.

FlowerLady

• beth4
    16 years ago

I've had my Tempurpedic for 2.5 years and will never have another mattress. When I'm away from home I really miss my mattress! I also have the Tempurpedic pillows, and recommend you get those, as they align your neck wonderfully. They've certainly helped my problems with my arthritic neck. I have never noticed the heat that others talk about. Count me as a happy customer, whose body is grateful for this great mattress.

• bulldinkie
    16 years ago

I just got temperpedic,I like it ,mine was top of the line,we paid a few thousand for it,king size,Its the pillow top.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

In case anyone is interested - the Novaform mattress cover pad I purchased at Costco is Wonderful! Not a single body part ached when we got up this morning!

• ladyamity
    16 years ago

We had the 'Try it for 30 days' trial in the mid 90's.
    By day 8 I knew I wasn't going to adjust to the bed.
    All the pros are correct---Didn't irritate the pressure points, we didn't feel each other crawling in and out of bed, the mattress did envelope you like a big fluffy cloud.

All those pros and yet I couldn't overcome the one con --- the heat.
    The mattress held on to the heat and since this was the beginning of June I felt it would only get worse during our worst of the summer months---August and September.

By night eleven I was sleeping on the 20+ year old fold-out sofa.
    Mattress went back on the 12th day.

Call us stuck in the 60's but after trying several types of beds we went back to our waterbed.
    Gave us the same comfort (no pressure points/conformed to our bodies) as the Tempurpedic but with the waterbed's heater we could adjust the temp of the mattress.

If it weren't for the heat factor, we would have definitely kept the Tempurpedic.

• johnmari
    16 years ago

Just found this while catching up on posts I missed while moving. I have had my Tempur-Pedic for about 5 years now and you would have to shoot me to get me away from it. I have severe fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis and back injuries (if I listed it all you'd think I had Munchausen's, but I just have rotten genes and a propensity for injuring myself!) and I can't sleep on anything else. We spent mucho dinero on a super-duper pillowtopped innerspring mattress and I would lie there awake at night with the tears running into my ears I hurt so much, so we knew we had to do something. I can't tell you how many toppers we bought, everything from an expensive wool "underquilt" (that flattened down to uselessness in less than 2 years) to foam of every variety, and nothing really worked.

I would take a book to the mattress store and lie on each for half an hour or so, which irritated the salespeople but I didn't really care. It came down to two, the Tempur or a latex mattress, but the latex was just a little too "boingy" and didn't feel as supportive. The store offered a 90 day tryout/return period, so we went for it. At the time there wasn't the wide variety of knockoffs available so we coughed up the $2400 *choke* for the original mattress (plus the foundation because we needed the height to clear the wooden sides of the bed frame we had), but nowadays I would probably buy one of the knockoffs. Like mayland we were pretty much willing to pay anything at that point.

Although... Dormia makes an amazing one they had at one of the sleep centers I went to - OMG it was so luscious. It had a softer surface than the T-P but the same firmish memory foam and latex layers underneath. You got that same sinking-in feeling that you get with a featherbed, with loads of support. The staff there couldn't tell me what model it was, unfortunately.

We don't find it particularly hot in the warmer months (the only time I get hot is if I'm "overblanketed" or if I'm having a hot flash!), and in the winter it's lovely to wake up in this warm, snuggly "nest". Some people say they have some problems "gettin' down" if ya know what I mean but we have never had any difficulty! ;-) No trouble turning over, either, although I appreciate that I don't toss and turn on this one. It did have an unpleasant odor for a few days after it came out of the box (it almost exploded!), so we put it in the guest room with the windows open to offgas. One big piece of advice is don't get rid of your old mattress until you know you'll like it, because you'll need something to sleep on if you return it. Neither one of us liked the T-P pillows we got for free with it, they were too heavy and stiff, so we returned them and had them knock the price of the pillows off the mattress instead. We usually get cheap squashy pillows once or twice a year and donate them to the animal shelter when we're done with them.

After 5 years DH still crawls into bed and groans "OMG this is a good bed!" I think that's a pretty good testimonial in and of itself.

• flyingflower
    16 years ago

My DOG recommends it!! Does that count? ;)
    I have two dogs, one has severe back problems and both have bad knees. I hated watching the oldest one struggling to get out of the sinkhole in the middle of his bed. This bed is so amazing I still can't believe how well it holds its shape, not even the orthopedic dog bed I paid a fortune for can compete. My 15 yr old dog hasn't exibited back pain since he started sleeping on this bed. When I lean on it or press my arms into it it just springs right back. If you have a heavy dog you know how hard it is to find a dog bed that won't break down to the floor from the weight.
    Now I just have to convince DH if the dog can have one I get one too!

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

The heat factor would keep me from buying that type - I like sleeping in "meat locker" type temperatures

gl

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

I like the Tempurpedic Mattresses but I am chemically sensitive so can not handle the outgassing. Hence, I bought myself a FloBed Latex Kit and after adjusting the layers and returning the several times for firmer latex cores, I am very happy with my bed that hs good firm support with a little give and a little cushion. I have scoliosis so I needed a bed that would not aggravate the s-curve in my back and this latex bed feels wonderful. I am also not allergic to it.

I have slept all of my life on a Latex Pillow and still do. I am still thinking of getting a low profile plush latex pillow that is 5.5" high and very soft. I currently have a 6" high medium latex pillow from Overstock. I am very petite(not quite 5 feet) so I like pillows with low heights. I sleep on my side but I still like soft pillows.

• susytwo
    16 years ago

We purchased the Novaform mattress from Costco about 4 weeks ago. Our opinion was the same as someone else stated above... if we didn't like it, we knew Costco would take it back.

Fortunately we like it very much. It took about 2 days to expand, and it took about a week for the memory foam odor to totally dissipate. The odor was only strong for the first few hours after we opened it, and even then, it was still tolerable.

There is no movement transfer so we no longer wake each other up, every time one of us rolls over or gets out of bed.

I used to get sore hips when I slept on my side. No longer. DH is a human furnace, so we were a little concerned about the heat factor, but he says he's only noticed it somewhat. Overall, we're very satisfied with the mattress.

• jgirl_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all your responses.

Susytwo & mls0520 - did you use your old box spring with your Novafoam? this is definitely worth looking into.

The heat that seems to be associated with these types of mattresses does concern me. I have a foam mattress topper right now and there are many nights I do get hot. Plus $4k for a mattress is hard to swallow. Whatever we do decide to purchase, we'll definitely choose one with a trial period and not get rid of our old mattress - just in case.

• susytwo
    16 years ago

We will not be using a boxspring. We ordered a new platform bed which actually doesn't arrive until next week. In the meantime, we just had the Novaform on the floor.

DS happily inherited the old mattress/boxspring.

• mboston_gw
    16 years ago

We bought a Temperpedic about 8 years ago. DH is thin and had pressure point troubles where his hip bones, shoulder blades touched the regular mattress. I on the other hand liked a really soft mattress, one that I would fall into. He won out and after awhile I got used to it. Now I find that I do rest better, have less neck problems. We did get the kind that you can raise at the head and foot, got 2 California twins and put on our queen size frame.

Yes, I do have some issues with the warmth of it. DH is cold natured so he loves it.

A side issue with the size we got, it is hard to find sheets that fit well. I use the extra long twin flat sheets and they are really a little too loose fitting but I haven't found anything better. Top sheet I use a queen and it is okay, a king is too wide.

• johnmari
    16 years ago

Plus $4k for a mattress is hard to swallow.

There are a LOT of knockoffs these days that are just as good as the original T-P and don't cost $4,000. A local-to-me company has a copy for $1299 for a king set, which is not an unreasonable price for a good innerspring mattress set either. Heck, I just found a site for Dormia beds (which I thought were actually better than T-P) and many of their models are under $2k for a king size; their base model is $800 for the mattress alone, $1099 for the set. Curbside shipping is $149. Website is dormiadirect.com.

BTW, that $4,000 is for the absolute top of the line T-P set, there are a lot of cheaper models that are also great. I have the cheapest set (the Classic, which was pretty much the only one available when I got mine) and while it's more expensive than the knockoffs, it's gone down by about $500. If you have a platform bed, you don't need the foundation unless you want the height, as we did.

There's a lot of discussion of the various knockoff brands and sources on the Furniture forum, which has a link at the top of the main Home Dec page. Search for "memory" and "tempur-pedic".

• jgirl_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Johnmari - Thanks for the info on Dormia. They have a store in our mall which I always just walk past it. I figured they were as pricey as TP. Now, we'll definitely have to check them out.

We'll need the box spring for height as well. I'm wondering if we can keep our existing and just get the mattress. Honestly, I'm not sure how important the box spring really is.

When we looked at the TP a few months ago, DH liked the one that was $3600 - not sure the model but I sure remember the price. He said it was a noticable difference for him between that and the others. He broke his back as a teenager so he needs it more than me. (oh, the sacrifices we wives make!) The store said sometimes they have some open box sales and they are discounted about $1000, or they might even be 30 day returns - again discounted the same. The discount makes it much more appealing although I'm not sure I want a "used" one.

I'll check out the Furniture forum as you suggested.

• nicole93089
    16 years ago

We have a Dormia. Was top of the line back in May when we bought it. I think they have a new one out now. We liked both the TP and the Dormia, but chose the Dormia because we liked it's firmness and the way the edges felt. Our queensize Dormia with foundation, 2 AWESOME pillows, mattress cover, and delivery was around $2300, I think. My husband wasn't sure about it at first. Now, whenever he gets in bed, he comments on the extreme comfort! we both absolutely love it. I don't have shoulder or hip pain if I stay in the same position for a long time and my husband's bad back feels better than ever. BTW, it was kind of warm at first and after consulting the store manager, we took off the new mattress pad/cover. Problem solved! My neighbor bought the TP Celebrity and swears by it, so I don't think you can go wrong with either.

• judiegal6
    16 years ago

Purchased the 3" topper. I get so hot in the middle of the night I can't stand it. We had to remove it.

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

We have had a memory foam mattress for three years and we're moving it into the guest room. So hot. It has really harmed my sleep. It was quite expensive so I just gritted my teeth and endured it. Lately I've been reading about the off-gassing from the foam and from the fire retardants. A lot of people think the chemicals are very harmful. I'll never buy another one. I figure it will be safe for guests because they will only sleep on it a few nights and won't be harmed.

We bought a McCroskey the other day and I can hardly wait for it to be delivered. It's the most comfortable mattress I ever tried. I heartily recommend it.

Rosefolly

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

I'll just add that we have a T-P Celebrity and haven't had any "heat" issues with it. I was concerned about it as I, like some of the above posters. like a "cool" sleep. But I'll tell you, as soon as I lay down on it at the showroom it nearly took the jaws of life to remove me -- I was so incredibly happy!!! Honestly, "so this is what heaven feels like" crossed my mind.

I can't say that anyone else won't feel warm in a foam bed; I just know that I don't.

About the cost I can emphatically concur: it hurt a ton to spend that much but my body is so happy that I'm (trying to) justify it that way .... We took advantage of every deal we could find plus I made my husband haggle (he's better at it than I) so we did okay.

Good luck in your bed hunt!

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

I understand that the top layer of the Costco memory foam mattress is made of a foam that does not cause the same kind of heat problems. Plus, as was pointed out earlier, Costco will take it back if you don't like it.

• krissie55
    16 years ago

We have 2 of the 2" Novaform memory foam pads on our bed and they are great. Placed these on top of a 3" foam mattress we already had.

These were much cheaper than the mattress and has as much or more of actual memory foam.

The Novaform is not that hot (I am very hot natured). A quilted mattress pad over the memory foam pads helps to eleminate the too warm feeling but does not interfer with the comfort.

• nhb22
    16 years ago

I know this thread is old, but I came across it when doing a search for something else.

We have a true Tempurpedic thick mattress (not the thin and not the pillow top.) We bought it because I was having back problems. The bed is wonderful in the winter, and really keeps you toasty.

I have no problems with my back in the winter. In the summer, the bed gets too "soft" for my back. I think one reason is because our bedroom is south facing and gets very hot in the afternoon...therefore the mattress heats up and softens. I have the hot flashes, too. LOL We keep our thermostat around 72-74 in the summer (65 in the winter.) Also, I am "fluffy" so the extra weight makes the mattress sink down even further when it is warm. On the other hand, my DH is thin and he loves the mattress year round. We fight over the thermostat settings. He wants it warmer in both the summer and the winter. Ugh!!!

I have found that if I place a thick mattress pad on top of the Tempur in the summer it helps keep my body heat from heating up the mattress. I take it off in the winter, so that the mattress can "catch" the cold from the room and firm up more. If I had it to do all over again, I would have either purchased the thinner mattress (these are firmer, but would make the overall bed thinner and hard to cover) or purchased the Sleep Number so that DH and I could have our own settings.

Moving around the bed is a little difficult and there is absolutely no support for the back if one of the "kids" jumps on top of you. Wink, wink!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

I laid on a Temperpedic in a showroom and thought it was too hard for me. I looked everywhere I could find mattresses. I ended up going to a local foam shop and picking out exactly what layers I wanted where, and they assembled the whole thing in a zippered bag made out of tee shirt material. I had the memory foam put on the top. I've had it and loved it for years now. It hasn't changed one bit since the day I bought it... no sagging or compression problems whatsoever. Plus, I saved a lot of money. In addition, had I decided it wasn't quite right I could always replace or add a layer of foam without having to scrap the entire bed.

• flyingflower
    16 years ago

DH and I went to a Tempurpedic show room this week to try out the mattresses. Now that I know a little bit more about T'pedic I'm surprised how many reviewers refer to it without mentioning the model they purchased. T'pedic models differ as much as night and day. The cheaper models felt like bricks while the most expensive model (the GRAND) was so soft I didn't think it would ever stop sinking in, I thought it was the worst of the lot and yet it cost the most. I hated the lower models in Tempurpedic line as well as the highest. They were way too firm, I might as well stick with a spring mattress if that's how it's going to feel. Maybe they soften up but I didn't notice that happening after laying on them in the store for quite awhile. My preference turned out to be in the middle, the Rhapsody. Not as hard as the Classic or Deluxe but firmer than Celebrity. I had a hard time getting out of the Grand, a mattress that soft can't be good for a person with a bad back, struggling to turn while encased in that cacoon!

It appears to me that the harder the mattress the cheaper the price and they go up the line until you get to the most expensive bed which is the softest....and the hottest, I'm guessing. ??

I wonder if those of you who rave about your tempurpedic bought one of the firmer models that doesn't sink in as much, and therefore not hold in as much heat.

Please, please provide the model number when reviewing a true Tempurpedic, it's very helpful to know which model you're actually talking about.

• stbonner
    16 years ago

Well, DH and I bought a Tempurpedic Rhapsody bed about three months ago and we absolutely love it! I wake up much less frequently during the night - I think before I was getting a sore shoulder or hip and it was interrupting my sleep just enough to wake me up without me knowing why. I love the fact that if either one of us gets up in the middle of the night the other one never knows it, as the bed doesn't transfer motion at all. The bed is hard to turn over in, but I find that I toss and turn much less frequently than in my other bed anyway, so this really isn't an issue.

I have worried about how soft it will get in the summer. I think Newhomebuilder's tip of putting a thick mattress cover on it is a good idea. I am happy with the softness of the bed as it stands now, so I don't think I want it feeling very much softer.

I have to say that I look forward to getting into that bed every night, and it is really hard to pry myself out of it in the morning. DH feels the same way about it that I do. I think we are both sleeping better than we did without the TP mattress.

• trudymom
    16 years ago

We have a bed similar to the Tempurpedic but we bought it sight-unseen on the internet--something we never do. But we love it. It is called a Bragada. We have had it for 4 years and it has been wonderful.

• pavionjsl_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

If you own a tempurpedic or any mattress this is what you need to make it cooler.Works with tempurpedic , latex , or if your just prone to night sweats or hot flashes......

Here is a link that might be useful: controlling temprature when sleeping