SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

Advice needed on layout of upstairs rooms

jenswrens
13 years ago

I know this isn't the usual forum for this type of question, but I'd like to get the opinions of a different set of people who perhaps have a fresh perspective on how these rooms will work for actual everyday living.

I lurk here a lot but don't post often, dreaming of the day when I might actually have a house that's worth decorating.

Our architect gave us an initial plan (one we really liked) for the second floor, which he then changed without warning or explanation. He had eliminated the shower and linen closet in the master bath and changed the laundry room to make a guest bedroom/bathroom larger. We told him that wasn't acceptable, so he added them back in a different layout which we still can't really make ourselves love as much as the first layout.

One thing he changed was to move the guest bath so that the upstairs landing would be more open and have a window to let light into the hallway. At first I didn't like it, thinking it would be wasted unused space, but now I've decided it would be a great place for a small "library" area with built-ins for books.

The other compromise in this new layout is a much smaller master shower, smaller linen closet, smaller master walk-in closet and smaller laundry room.

My thoughts are why enlarge a guest room bath/closet that will be used maybe 2-3 times a year and compromise on the rooms (master bath/laundry) that will be used 2-3 times a day?

Can you please give me your thoughts on this new layout? Would you compromise on these things? Am I being too picky? Any ideas on how I can keep the new "library" in the upstairs landing yet still have a bigger laundry/master shower?

Original layout:

New layout:

Comments (13)