SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terribletom_gw

Wiring a portable generator

terribletom
16 years ago

This is my first message here, and I'm afraid it's going to be a complicated one--not to mention a bit off the beaten garden path.

I'm trying to think through a creative solution for using a 6kW portable generator as a backup source of power for either (1) a few critical house circuits or, optionally, (2) my detached workshop. My objectives are as follows:

- In the event of a power failure, to manually switch several "critical" house circuits (refrigerator, oil burner, water pump and one gen'l purpose) to generator power.

- In the event that the house is closed up and unavailable (which is sometimes the case in the winter, with pipes drained, etc.) to use the generator as an occasional standalone source of power for the outbuilding alone.

- To minimize costs by not having to buy multiple, expensive transfer switches while ensuring that the approach is safe and reasonably foolproof.

A few baseline facts about the wiring:

- The critical house circuits I want to power are isolated in a single 60a subpanel.

- The same subpanel feeds a 40a panel in the workshop outbuilding.

- The generator "lives" in the outbuilding.

- All of the feeds (from main service panel to the house subpanel as well as from subpanel to outbuilding) are #6AWG (6-6-6-8)copper. Ground and neutral in subpanel are separated (not bonded). Outbuilding has independent ground rod which is bonded to the ground fed from the house, but not to the neutral. For the purposes of discussion, assume no capacity or overcurrent protection problems.

It seems to me that I could accomplish my objectives by buying three identical "air-conditioner type" disconnect switches with pull-out blades (call them "A", "B", and "C") and configure as shown below. (Sorry I don't have a good way to produce a decent circuit diagram.)

Main Service

:

Disconnect "A"

:

60a Subpanel-----> Selected house circuits

:

(buried UF cable)

:

Disconnect "B"

:

40a outbuilding panel----> Outbuilding circuits

:

Disconnect "C"

:

6kW gasoline

powered generator

My plan is to throw away (or hide...shh!) one of the three identical pullout switch blades ("C") such that only two of the three disconnects could ever be open. Thus, by removing "A" and placing in "C", the generator would be wired to provide power to the house subpanel and outbuilding panel, but only after both were disconnected from utility power. Alternatively, if the blade were removed from "B" and inserted in "C", the generator would power only the outbuilding, but only after it was disconnected from the house feed.

My main question is this: These would be two-pole switches (controlling two hots) and, thus, the neutrals would remain interconnected throughout. Is this a problem? Or would three-pole switches be needed to disconnect neutrals when an independent power source (the generator) is in play?

My second question is more basic. Is this a stupid idea?

Comments (29)