SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevie1118

Outdoor lighting fixture problem

stevie1118
15 years ago

I replaced 3 old outdoor light fixtures, all on same switch, with new ones. I turned off power to house, removed old fixtures and hooked up new fixtures - white to white, black to black, wire nuts, and electric tape for added protection,and grounded it to mounting bracket. Secured them to house. Turned on power and they all worked fine all day yesterday. The next day one of the lights was out. I assumed the bulb was bad, so I replaced it with a bulb I knew was good and still would not turn on. If I wired it incorrectly, shouldn't it have failed to light in the beginning? I checked circuit breakers and none have tripped. The old light had worked fine for the last 20 years. Is it possible that I bought a defective light fixture? If so, is there any way to test it first before I pull it off the wall to replace it? Is this a normal occurance, or am I one of the unlucky few that bought a "bad" new light? For now, I will keep off all 3 lights until problem is fixed. Also, wanted to mention that I installed dusk to dawn photo eye sockets in each of the fixtures - don't know if that makes any difference at all. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (4)