SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manchild_gw

Tip for all those that decide not to pay

manchild
16 years ago

This is probably out of context of the forum, but in some ways maybe it isn't.

I recently had a customer (side work as I am currently out of a job) call me back to a job about 2 weeks after I had completed it. He told me that the outlets I installed for the kitchen countertop did not work. I told him that it was odd seeing that I checked and re-checked (I'm very meticulous) to make sure everything was live and working properly. I told him many times to make sure the GFCI was not tripped (I walked him through how to do so many times over the many phone calls he made that morning) or that he had not blown a fuse, otherwise if I had to go out there to fix something that was not my fault I would have to charge him.

So finally he calls me back tells me to go over there cause it still doesn't work. I feel bad that I might have let a customer down and drop everything I'm doing and rush over there. Well long story short it ended up being a blown fuse. I then asked him to pay since I spent the time to drive over, diagnose, and fix something that wasn't my fault ( I felt bad and only charged him about 40% what I would normally charge) and he told me to send him an invoice and he'll send it to his lawyer cause he wasn't going to pay it.

For all those that decide not to pay your local friendly electrician, it is very easy for us to take out our frustration against you. Wether it be a mechanics lien on your home or if I wasn't a decent human being I could very easily pull his meter while he wasn't home and cut the wires going to the panel taking less than 5 min and costing you a whole lot more than a service charge fee.

Comments (29)