SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
golden2007

Hoping to recover something from runaway contractor

golden2007
16 years ago

I originally posted this on the electrical wiring board in response to a post there.

RE: Tip for all those that decide not to pay

Coolvt posted above on Fri, Oct 12, 07 at 22:33

"If someone owes you money and you figure you will never get it, at the end of any tax year you can file a form 1099 Misc. with the IRS. Just fill it in as "debt forgiven" and the dollar amount. This now becomes taxable income to the debtor. The tax due on this isn't the big deal. If the IRS discovers that the debtor has not reported it as income, the IRS often does a complete audit. Many people do not like the IRS digging through their business."

Would this be an option in dealing with a contractor who has disappeared with the $1500 deposit we gave him to buy materials for a bathroom remodel? I have read many posts where homeowners take contractors to Small Claims Court and even if the Court decides in their favor, they often are unable to collect damages. Or, a truly twisted contractor may file some sort of countersuit costing the homeowner more. This is such a small sum of money (relatively speaking to what I see others have lost) that my husband and I can make it up by doing the work ourselves as we have all of our lives. We just thought that now that we are older, we would treat ourselves to having a job done for us.....Oh, well. P.S. I'm not taking this lightly -- sometimes you just need to know when to cut your losses. AFTER we had paid him, this guy bragged about how he pays all of his employees in cash under the table. We knew we had made a mistake immediately.

Comments (10)